MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

One way to avoid jury duty
#247951 - 03/04/11 08:25 PM

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/new-wrinkle-avoiding-jury-duty

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: One way to avoid jury duty new [Re: twisty]
#247954 - 03/04/11 09:36 PM

> http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/new-wrinkle-avoiding-jury-duty

People who can't suck it up and just do their jury duty service really piss me off. I guess it varies by state, but in most places it's a few days or less every five years. In MA, your employer is required to compensate you for at least three days of service and you get (some) compensation from the state after that. I guess it's tougher if you're self employed, but the people who whine the loudest are invariably the self-important, middle-aged executive types who aren't even losing any money.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#248047 - 03/05/11 09:13 PM

Grand Jury duty is more fun. I served two days a week for six months. I dreaded it at first but after a while you get into it, get to learn stuff about the law and you learn which towns in your county has the most crime.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#248076 - 03/06/11 02:34 AM

> http://www.thesmokinggun.com/file/new-wrinkle-avoiding-jury-duty

Looks more like a good way to land yourself in jail until the judge decides to let you out.

SecretAgentMan
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Illinois (Central)
Send PM

Re: One way to avoid jury duty new [Re: Andrew]
#248077 - 03/06/11 02:38 AM

They put men on that mag?

"Go crazy, folks! Go crazy!"

Jack Buck

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: One way to avoid jury duty new [Re: Andrew]
#248080 - 03/06/11 03:03 AM

> Grand Jury duty is more fun. I served two days a week for six
> months.

Ouch, 2 days a week for 6 months? I just did the same thing, but it was 2 days a month for 4 months. Guess we have significantly less crime here in rural Sussex County, New Jersey, as they canceled 2 of those days and most were only a few hours.

> I dreaded it at first but after a while you get into it, get to
> learn stuff about the law and you learn which towns in your county
> has the most crime.

We had a kidnapping (mistaken identity), a domestic assault, a B&E, two weapons violations (large knives), a bad check (that one was funny due to the incompetence of the business receiving the check), an identity theft, a couple other thefts, and bunch of drug distribution charges.

The absolute worst area of the county? 100 yards from the courthouse. The APs we had noted a couple times surprise that they had no drug trafficking from the highway that runs through a couple towns over, it was mostly small amounts of heroin, etc. right there, except for one "big" pot grower.

We ended up with an indictment on every case (as I say, there weren't many, and we only have 1 judge for the lot of them!), though one was close (the B&E) because the AP on that one messed up and gave us some exculpatory evidence we shouldn't have heard.

Fun enough. Would I do it again? Not if I can help it; New Jersey pays $5 for each day for Grand Jurors, and there is no other compensation. Including the day of jury selection, $35 total.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Damn, I didn't know she was buck-toothed....(nt) new [Re: Andrew]
#248093 - 03/06/11 05:47 AM

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 135 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1335