Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

gentlemen, in the time of the arcades
#247639 - 03/01/11 03:51 AM

which home port was the one that blew you away? i need 1 answer; i'm sure there were several, but which home port nailed it for you and made your johnson hard?

also, which one was the biggest let-down?

detail please. how you felt... what you were wearing... what you were eating... all that shit.

i learned everything i know from KC

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: jopezu]
#247640 - 03/01/11 04:22 AM

> which home port was the one that blew you away? i need 1 answer; i'm sure there were
> several, but which home port nailed it for you and made your johnson hard?

Not really sure. Not really a port, but thought Donkey Kong Country for the SNES kicked ass.

> also, which one was the biggest let-down?

Pac Man for the Atari 2600.

> detail please. how you felt... what you were wearing... what you were eating... all
> that shit.

Waited forever for it to come out. Loved playing the arcade version. I thought the A2600 version could have been (much) better. I was wearing a smile until I turned the game on. Then I was wearing the blank look of WTF? I felt like my ass was fucked with a roll of quarters.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

#247645 - 03/01/11 04:46 AM

> which home port was the one that blew you away?

Atari 2600, Asteroids. Yeah, naivety had a lot to do with it but for mini-me it was was even better than the arcade because the only cabinet I had access to was at my Dad's favorite bar. I could play any time I liked, no begging for quarters, no bar stink/weird guys/smoke, didn't have to stand on a milk crate, COLOR, BITCHES!, variations on gameplay that the original didn't have... It was awesome!

Atari 2600, Pac-Man. Fuck that game. Fuck everyone involved with bringing that atrocity to my living room.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#247647 - 03/01/11 06:19 AM

> which home port was the one that blew you away? i need 1 answer; i'm sure there were

I always rather enjoyed Spy Hunter for the NES. I guess it wasn't exactly arcade accurate, but it was fun and controls were adapted to the d-pad pretty well.

I remember Bad Dudes for the NES being especially weak, not that the arcade original is so great.

I just don't have the hate for 2600 Pacman that most people do. I think I was too young at the time to really appreciate what Pacman was supposed to be like.

Breetai
Semi-Lurker "full time drinker"
Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: Omaha
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: redk9258]
#247650 - 03/01/11 06:57 AM

The 2600 had its ups and downs. Rock and Rope... Wizard of War were awesome....YES pacman ms pacman q-bert were bad....but that's all we had. Not until Snes streetfighter II days and MK games were almost home ports
(thanks for posting this question when i can not see straight)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: aavada]
#247652 - 03/01/11 07:37 AM

> Atari 2600, Pac-Man. Fuck that game. Fuck everyone involved with bringing that
> atrocity to my living room.

My understanding was that a programmer threw it together as a proof of concept to demonstrate how they could have 4 ghosts on the screen plus 4 power pellets on the screen at the same time. Some higher-up saw it and decided that it was good enough for human consumption and released it with a few minor changes.

Have you seen the unofficial Pac-Man homebrew release for the 2600?
It's pretty amazing...

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/81989-pacman4k/page__hl__pacman4k

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: DMala]
#247653 - 03/01/11 07:38 AM

Quote:

I just don't have the hate for 2600 Pac Man that most people do.

I'm with you. I actually have fond memories of the 2600 port of Pac Man. My sisters had Mpiano lessons twice a week and I'd have to tag along, but their piano teacher had an Atari 2600 hooked up to those one wood grain consoles, that was a TV, record player, and stereo all in one and one of the games they had was Pac Man and I had just as much fun and frustration for the 2600 port than I did at the arcade machine (I've never been good at Pac Man...a handicap that still plagues me today.)

Brian_hoffman
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/30/08
Send PM

#247654 - 03/01/11 07:41 AM

I used to walk a two miles to go to the local donut shop to play Street fighter 2 with my saved lunch money.

The Snes port was amazing, I was so happy getting it as a child. Me and my friends played for hours and I got it at KB toy store for. It cost about 60 bucks at the time and I think I got it on day one.

The worst port for me was Mortal Kombat 1 for SNES, no blood. Bad timing. Even though the Genesis was worse visually you could at least get the fatalities and blood that made the first game stand out above the rest.

I'm 30 years old now and still enjoy both franchises.

Brian

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

#247655 - 03/01/11 07:46 AM

Quote:

also, which one was the biggest let-down?

I might actually have a reverse story...for whatever reason I wasn't exposed to Contra until the NES. When I saw a Contra cab one day in my local mall arcade I was excited because it had much better graphics. I remember trying one credit and getting slaughtered almost immediately. The controls SUCKED. So the NES version of Contra to me is the tried and true version of Contra.

I'd say one of the first games that really "blew me away" was the Mega Man series. the creativity of the enemies, the music, and the action was just incredible for me at the time. Once Mega Man hit the SNES though it started to seem stale and the bosses and their poweres were getting pretty far fetched and I lost interest.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#247656 - 03/01/11 07:47 AM

Super Mario on the NES blew my fucking mind, I had been playing Vs. Super Mario at Chuck E. Cheese's prior to it. There was nothing before that that was close to the arcade quality, and not much after that for a while that was. There were other Vs. games of course but I didn't play any of them (or even remember seeing them) other than Mario Bros. There were some home ports that actually were better than the arcade versions (Rygar) or drastically changed and yet still fucking fantastic (Double Dragon NES) but that isn't really the question. As for let downs the list is too long. Name a port in the 80's, it was probably a letdown.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#247668 - 03/01/11 10:58 AM

>
>

The first thing that came to my mind was Galaxy Force II (import) for the Sega Saturn. Mostly because it was an older game from the best days I remember of the arcade.

>
>

Rastan for the Sega Master System.

> detail please. how you felt... what you were wearing... what you were eating... all
> that shit.

I was very excited to see the Rastan game box in Montgomery Wards (if it wasn't that it was Sears.. I probably still have the receipt somewhere ). I was there with my Dad... But when I got to play it - it wasn't anything like the arcade, that's why it was a let down.

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#247669 - 03/01/11 12:08 PM

Arkanoid for the classic 9" Macintoshes. It lacked colour, but it was an excellent port in terms of gameplay and sound. They must've got a crack team on it to optimise it to the point where it was that good on a Mac Plus. You had to boot from the game disk and it went straight into the game, which was odd on a Mac (most were double-clickable). Too bad it didn't work on newer Macs.

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker for Sega Megadrive. It isn't the same game at all! They took an isometric beat-em-up filled with innuendo and phallic imagery, and turned it into a lame 2D platformer?

> that shit.

I saw it on demo in a department store. I thought, "Cool! Moonwalker without having to drop coins in!" Then I realised why there wasn't anyone playing it.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#247675 - 03/01/11 01:57 PM

At the time, I didn't think porting could get any better than Ghost n Gobblins for NES.

>

To me, the NES port of Double Dragon just sucked Bowzers balls.

> that shit.

I felt happy about the first, sad over the second. Being the late 80's I was probably wearing tube socks, Panama Jack shorts, a neon top of some sort, hi-tops, and those louvered sunglasses. I was most definitely eating captain crunch.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

#247680 - 03/01/11 03:21 PM

Street Fighter 2 on the SNES. When it came out, a friend of mine and I rented an SNES from a local video store (remember those?) and played it for hours straight. I think we played till like 4 in the morning.

Close seconds would be the NES versions of Bionic Commando and Strider, even though I know they really aren't ports.

>
>

Gotta go with Double Dragon for the NES. It wasn't even close to the same game as the arcade.

>
>
> that shit.

The SF2 marathon was fueled by Mountain Dew and Little Debbie powdered donuts.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: Brian_hoffman]
#247681 - 03/01/11 03:29 PM

> I used to walk a two miles to go to the local donut shop to play Street fighter 2
> with my saved lunch money.
>

Back in the mid 90's, during one or some(?) of the summer break from school - I'd walk about a mile to a local convenience store in the wee hours of the morning to play Street Fighter II.

Your post reminded me of that.

& Sometimes I'd walk there with my cousin (during the afternoon/evening hours of the day). He always used Ken. I always used Ryu. He was fat, I was skinny...

And we'd always play it on SNES... He was better at it than me. But I'm sure that's changed by now.

LEVEL-4

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: krick]
#247700 - 03/01/11 06:58 PM

> Have you seen the unofficial Pac-Man homebrew release for the 2600?
> It's pretty amazing...
>
> http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/81989-pacman4k/page__hl__pacman4k

That is pretty amazing. Too bad Atari didn't do it the right way.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: italie]
#247702 - 03/01/11 07:37 PM

> To me, the NES port of Double Dragon just sucked Bowzers balls.

I disagree. Yeah, it was only vaguely like the arcade version, but it was still a fun game in its own right.

> I felt happy about the first, sad over the second. Being the late 80's I was probably
> wearing tube socks, Panama Jack shorts, a neon top of some sort, hi-tops, and those
> louvered sunglasses. I was most definitely eating captain crunch.

Louvered sunglasses were early 2000's as I recall. Proper 80's eyewear would have been mirrored aviators or knockoff Wayfarers with neon colored stems.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: DMala]
#247704 - 03/01/11 08:02 PM

> Louvered sunglasses were early 2000's as I recall. Proper 80's eyewear would have
> been mirrored aviators or knockoff Wayfarers with neon colored stems.

You may recall correctly, but keep in mind that Kanye kold ripped that style straight out of 1986.

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

#247718 - 03/01/11 10:03 PM Attachment: arcade.vs.2600.jpeg 127 KB (2 downloads)

blown away: final fight, snes. huge sprites, and my cousin had his snes hooked up to a big stereo. the sounds and sights were massive and spot on; i didn't want to leave to go home. he had street fighter 2 as well (which we played afterwards, and i was equally impressed), but i gotta give it to final fight since it was the first one we played and it solidified my belief in the platform's capabilities. i remember looking at the cute little snes box and thinking 'i love you'. i was more than likely wearing blue jean shorts and a two-tone t-shirt.

shat away: popeye, atari 2600. as a grown man, it's a little surprising how deep the disdain and critical analysis ran in my 6 year old, first grader self. the arcade (cocktail at pizza hut) popeye was a white-knuckle nail-biter that looked like you were playing the cartoon. the atari 2600 version of the game... (this is 100% true, no exaggeration, i remember it like yesterday)... i spent probably as much time admiring the artwork on the cartridge label as i did playing the game, and i played it A LOT. i grew to like it, but i'll be damned if i wasn't struck with the kiddie version of the "life isn't always fair" realization when i first fired it up.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by jopezu (03/01/11 10:10 PM)

i learned everything i know from KC

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#247721 - 03/01/11 11:01 PM

>
>
>
>
> that shit.

I seemed to always see the home versions first, before the arcade, the one time I remember loving a game in the arcade then loved at home, in that order, was the C64 version of APB which I actually pre-ordered at a computer show in London, I swear that top-down cops n' robbers game play was the main inspiration for the original GTA!

Renegade on the C64 was pretty rubbish and Zzap 64 inexplicably gave it a really good review too which just added to it. It was ugly and the controls were keyboard only for no apparent reason!

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: italie]
#247740 - 03/02/11 12:50 AM

> You may recall correctly, but keep in mind that Kanye kold ripped that style straight
> out of 1986.

I stand corrected. Apparently I was even more painfully unhip back then than I thought I was.

Allnatural
No Preservatives
Loc: Toledo, OH. USA
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: Hizzout]
#247742 - 03/02/11 01:34 AM

>> also, which one was the biggest let-down?
>
> I might actually have a reverse story...for whatever reason I wasn't exposed to
> Contra until the NES. When I saw a Contra cab one day in my local mall arcade I was
> excited because it had much better graphics. I remember trying one credit and getting
> slaughtered almost immediately. The controls SUCKED. So the NES version of Contra to
> me is the tried and true version of Contra.

Throw in Lifeforce and I feel exactly the same.

And yes, I'm comparing the NES version to the Japanese re-release.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: krick]
#247763 - 03/02/11 04:10 AM Attachment: ZOMGARCADEQUALITYEFFECTS.png 3 KB (1 downloads)

That homebrew is impressive as hell.

Should probably have mentioned that my little broken heart was later healed by the purchase of Ms Pac-Man for the 2600. Thanks Mom!

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#247774 - 03/02/11 07:50 AM

> which home port was the one that blew you away?

TI-99/4A Q-Bert. Speech synth and everything.

PS: You might like this:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22The+many+faces+of%22+site%3Atomheroes.com&num=100&filter=0
http://www.google.com/search?q="The+many...00&filter=0

- Stiletto

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

popeye... new [Re: jopezu]
#247780 - 03/02/11 09:39 AM

ever played it on a C64? Not bad IMHO

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#247781 - 03/02/11 09:55 AM

I must have spent the most money on Rastan and Super Mario Brothers. I dunno if you could really call it a port because many of the levels were changed a bit (on purpose)

So, if you still consider it a port, then that's the one. If not... then fast forward to Street Fighter II.

Too many bad ports to name but the one that really got me mad, for various reasons, was KI on the N64.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: URherenow]
#247786 - 03/02/11 12:10 PM

> Too many bad ports to name but the one that really got me mad, for various reasons,
> was KI on the N64.

Killer Instinct never made it to the N64. It was ported to SNES. But yes, it was a shit port - all 2D sprites and no full-screen MPEG backdrops.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: URherenow]
#247790 - 03/02/11 01:30 PM

> Too many bad ports to name but the one that really got me mad, for various reasons,
> was KI on the N64.

It's ok imo, but the only thing that really interests me, like the arcade one, was the music used in it.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#247792 - 03/02/11 02:27 PM Attachment: Killer_Instinct_Gold.jpg 45 KB (1 downloads)

> > Too many bad ports to name but the one that really got me mad, for various reasons,
> > was KI on the N64.
>
> Killer Instinct never made it to the N64. It was ported to SNES. But yes, it was a
> shit port - all 2D sprites and no full-screen MPEG backdrops.

Perhaps he's referring to this.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: Gor]
#247794 - 03/02/11 03:02 PM

> Perhaps he's referring to this.

That's a port of KI2, isn't it? But it has no FMV, and no alternate endings, and they added a bunch of play modes.

Cable
retro gamer
Reged: 08/30/08
Loc: UK
Send PM

#247795 - 03/02/11 03:07 PM

Chase Hq on the zx spectrum god i loved playing that game. The worst game was shinobi on the same system. Only because It would unlike the hundred other games i had, not load. Who knows how many times i took it back the the shop and got a replacement. I gave up in the end. I got it soon after and loved it on the master system

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: gentlemen, in the time of the arcades new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#247804 - 03/02/11 05:17 PM

> > Perhaps he's referring to this.
>
> That's a port of KI2, isn't it? But it has no FMV, and no alternate endings, and they
> added a bunch of play modes.

Wikipedia says you're correct. I just remember playing some KI game briefly using my Z64,
and KI Gold is what came up when I googled "Killer Instinct N64"

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: popeye... new [Re: URherenow]
#247806 - 03/02/11 05:28 PM

> ever played it on a C64? Not bad IMHO

nope, i'll have to check that out.

KiLLerCloWnAdministrator
Head CloWn
Reged: 09/18/03
Loc: España
Send PM

#247835 - 03/03/11 01:14 AM

Phoenix on the Atari 2600. I loved that game, actually I still play it from time to time and still think it's great.

We moved to a new town when I was 13 at the beginning of summer and for three months I was the new kid in town living in the suburb with no friends ( sob ). I used to go to the supermarket where they had 2600s on display and there would be a few kids queueing to play. By the end of the summer I was so good that once I got the joystick it was my turn almost indefinitely... lol ... that didn't help much with making friends

There were also some amazing arcade ports on the turbo engine. However I only discovered those later through emulation.

Not sure which would be the biggest letdown. Usually on consoles I preferred sports games and platformers while in the arcade I'd go for shooters. So there wasn't much overlap for me.

KC

Edited by KiLLerCloWn (03/03/11 01:14 AM)

dfrance
Crazed Collector
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: The Black
Send PM

Re: popeye... new [Re: jopezu]
#247840 - 03/03/11 03:05 AM

> > ever played it on a C64? Not bad IMHO
>
>
> nope, i'll have to check that out.

There was a cool version for the TRS-80 Color Computer called "Sailor Man" (in true CoCo form, they couldn't get a licensed version)...like all higher rez games, it suffered from the red/blue artifact problem (fix: keep hitting the reset till "RED" is red)...

The Coco had a Joust clone ("Buzzard Bait") which was good. They DID have an "official'y licensed" Zaxxon that was ok (sad now) and "Poo-yan" which was surprisingly good. And a DK clone called "Donkey King"...

Mojo2000
Regular
Loc: North America
Send PM

Pac Man Jr 2600 (nt) new [Re: Breetai]
#247842 - 03/03/11 03:24 AM

Pac Man Jr 2600 (nt)

Mojo2000
Regular
Loc: North America
Send PM

#247845 - 03/03/11 03:37 AM

Thumbs-up: (all on C=64)
Commando
Centipede
Defender
Pac-Man
Pooyan
Popeye

Thumbs-sideways:
Zaxxon on C=64
U.N. Squadron on SNES. Not a bad game per se - just no multiplayer.

Thumbs-down:
Kung-Fu Master on C=64
Pole Position on C=64. Maybe it wasn't the computer's fault, but that binary joystick control just wasn't cutting it.
Alien vs. Predator on SNES. WTF!? Maybe it wasn't supposed to be an arcade port, or related to any other console game, but still... Nasty.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: popeye... new [Re: dfrance]
#247874 - 03/03/11 07:23 PM

> > > ever played it on a C64? Not bad IMHO
> >
> >
> > nope, i'll have to check that out.
>
> There was a cool version for the TRS-80 Color Computer called "Sailor Man" (in true
> CoCo form, they couldn't get a licensed version)...like all higher rez games, it
> suffered from the red/blue artifact problem (fix: keep hitting the reset till "RED"
> is red)...
>
> The Coco had a Joust clone ("Buzzard Bait") which was good. They DID have an
> "official'y licensed" Zaxxon that was ok (sad now) and "Poo-yan" which was
> surprisingly good. And a DK clone called "Donkey King"...

Yep, there was also 'Zaksund' and a pretty neat 'Joust' clone called 'Pegasus and the Phantom Riders'

Also, the port of Rampage for the CoCo 3 was actually pretty decent, as was the port of Robocop

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 408 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3678