MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Markie3
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/25/11
Send PM

What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ?
#247455 - 02/26/11 01:03 PM

Hi all

I haven't used MAME in a while and every time I start using it again, I search for some of my old-time favorite games such as Super Mario Brothers, Excite Bike, Castelvania etc.
And every time I wonder: Why are these games only emulated in that dumb "Playchoice" stuff.
Eventually I discover them under "Vs.", such as "Vs. Super Mario Brothers" etc.
I've searched the web and MAME resources, but so far I still have no idea what that "Vs." stands for?
Can anyone help?
Surely the original game name was NOT "Vs. Super Mario Brothers", etc.

Just a newbie question.

Regards,
Mark

Sez
Queen High Slapper
Reged: 12/14/03
Loc: Sydney, Australia
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: Markie3]
#247457 - 02/26/11 01:19 PM

> Hi all
>
> I haven't used MAME in a while and every time I start using it again, I search for
> some of my old-time favorite games such as Super Mario Brothers, Excite Bike,
> Castelvania etc.
> And every time I wonder: Why are these games only emulated in that dumb "Playchoice"
> stuff.
> Eventually I discover them under "Vs.", such as "Vs. Super Mario Brothers" etc.
> I've searched the web and MAME resources, but so far I still have no idea what that
> "Vs." stands for?
> Can anyone help?
> Surely the original game name was NOT "Vs. Super Mario Brothers", etc.
>
> Just a newbie question.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Is it "versus"?

Why won't anyone listen to ninjakid - he's being serial!

OAB
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/14/05
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: Markie3]
#247459 - 02/26/11 02:36 PM

They run on the Nintendo Vs. System

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#247470 - 02/26/11 06:25 PM

> Hi all
>
> I haven't used MAME in a while and every time I start using it again, I search for
> Castelvania etc.
> And every time I wonder: Why are these games only emulated in that dumb "Playchoice"
> stuff.
> Eventually I discover them under "Vs.", such as "Vs. Super Mario Brothers" etc.
> I've searched the web and MAME resources, but so far I still have no idea what that
> "Vs." stands for?
> Can anyone help?

"Vs." is the abbreviation for versus. The system got that name because some of the games came in a twin-screen cabinet designed for head-to-head play of some of the titles.

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=2971
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=6403
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1981
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=3149
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1980
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=3148
http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=4253

> Surely the original game name was NOT "Vs. Super Mario Brothers", etc.

Yes, it was:

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=1338

There was also the Vs. UniSystem, which played Vs. System games in a single-monitor cabinet:

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=thumbs&db=videodb&id=4254

Edited by casm (02/26/11 06:27 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#247471 - 02/26/11 06:33 PM

> Hi all
>
> Castelvania etc.
> stuff.

Because those are all console games and MAME is the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator. So you're stuck with the versions of those games that came out in arcades.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#247502 - 02/27/11 05:13 AM

just means head to head arcade machines.which i have yet to see.

Edited by ladyshari83 (02/27/11 05:13 AM)

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

What's wrong with you people (nt) new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#247511 - 02/27/11 05:52 AM

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#247530 - 02/27/11 06:02 PM Attachment: versuscity.jpg 158 KB (0 downloads)

> just means head to head arcade machines.which i have yet to see.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: AeroCityMayor]
#247537 - 02/27/11 11:41 PM

Funny thing is, 3rd Strike doesn't have the capability to drive two monitors with separate images, but people still loved to put it in a vs cabinet. It's a strange world.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#247539 - 02/28/11 12:09 AM

> Funny thing is, 3rd Strike doesn't have the capability to drive two monitors with
> separate images, but people still loved to put it in a vs cabinet. It's a strange
> world.

I didn't even notice that

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#247541 - 02/28/11 12:41 AM

> Funny thing is, 3rd Strike doesn't have the capability to drive two monitors with
> separate images, but people still loved to put it in a vs cabinet. It's a strange
> world.

Head-to-head cabinets have been standard in Japan for fighting games for a long time. Keeps the players from "accidentally" elbowing each other, I guess.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: AWJ]
#247546 - 02/28/11 03:30 AM

> > Funny thing is, 3rd Strike doesn't have the capability to drive two monitors with
> > separate images, but people still loved to put it in a vs cabinet. It's a strange
> > world.
>
> Head-to-head cabinets have been standard in Japan for fighting games for a long time.
> Keeps the players from "accidentally" elbowing each other, I guess.

I guess it means that you can't look at your opponents button bashes to see what combo he's trying to pull off. Now, to be able to do that while watching the monitor AND trying to pull off your own combos while blocking, positioning etc. would be very hard but at least people don't have to lay in bed at night stressing about that being the theoretical optimal play style...

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#247937 - 03/04/11 04:41 PM

You don't need it to. The cabinet is also capable of driving two displays with the same picture itself.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

lordflux
Lurker
Reged: 10/13/03
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: Fever]
#247940 - 03/04/11 06:15 PM

> I guess it means that you can't look at your opponents button bashes to see what
> combo he's trying to pull off. Now, to be able to do that while watching the monitor
> AND trying to pull off your own combos while blocking, positioning etc. would be very
> hard but at least people don't have to lay in bed at night stressing about that being
> the theoretical optimal play style...

I used to do that back in the MK days. The cabinets used the Happ Ultimates/Tournaments which had a long throw. And with characters like Shang Tsung and Raiden... the characters that require a lot of taps... I could see out of the corner of my eye when they were tapping. A fireball motion QCF/QCB sweep was much harder to see.

In reference to another post -- I got a lot of elbows to the ribs playing MK. Would've loved to have had a cab like that back then.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: Firehawke]
#248002 - 03/05/11 09:01 AM

> You don't need it to. The cabinet is also capable of driving two displays with the
> same picture itself.

I know the cabinet displays the same image on both monitors. That's exactly why I'm saying it's pointless. Unless the board can put a different image on each display (like Vs Dual or Taisen Hot Gimmick can), it's completely pointless.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

#248264 - 03/07/11 10:57 PM

> I know the cabinet displays the same image on both monitors. That's exactly why I'm
> saying it's pointless. Unless the board can put a different image on each display
> (like Vs Dual or Taisen Hot Gimmick can), it's completely pointless.

Na, means a bigger cabinet, so that little lordfluxes don't get abused during game play.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

#248300 - 03/08/11 05:53 AM

>Unless the board can put a different image on each display (like Vs Dual or Taisen Hot Gimmick can)

Huh. I did not know that. I have a Hot Gimmick board... I've been hunting for a jamma cocktail for it... had I found one, I may have wasted my money, then. So... a head to head cabinet is the way to go then?

Off topic: why are jamma cocktails so hard to find (for a decent price that is... sure you can overpay and get anything).

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: What does "Vs." stand for in "Vs." Games - Vs. Super Mario Brothers, etc. ? new [Re: GatKong]
#248316 - 03/08/11 07:45 AM

> Huh. I did not know that. I have a Hot Gimmick board... I've been hunting for a jamma
> cocktail for it... had I found one, I may have wasted my money, then. So... a head to
> head cabinet is the way to go then?

A JAMMA cocktail is a nice thing to have around. But Sega VS Astro City is the preferred cabinet for Taisen Hot Gimmick as it allows two-player games.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 276 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3371