MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

do providers prevent you from running a web page from home?
#247160 - 02/22/11 05:21 PM

I can reach a test page (that requires a user name and password) by typing in my WAN IP address into a browser... but I get nothing trying it from the internet (like using my phone)

Ive enabled port forwarding and http in my router, done what I don't like doing (enabling ping requests from WAN) and no dice.

Any suggestions?

I'm just messing around, really.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: do providers prevent you from running a web page from home? new [Re: URherenow]
#247195 - 02/23/11 03:30 AM

> I can reach a test page (that requires a user name and password) by typing in my WAN
> IP address into a browser... but I get nothing trying it from the internet (like
> using my phone)
>
> Ive enabled port forwarding and http in my router, done what I don't like doing
> (enabling ping requests from WAN) and no dice.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
>
>
> I'm just messing around, really.

Whose the provider, and what type of server? Could be improperly set permissions. I haven't heard of any major providers blocking web services recently, but I have heard of it...

URherenow
Send PM

Re: do providers prevent you from running a web page from home? new [Re: italie]
#247228 - 02/23/11 01:17 PM

The service is technically Americable, but it's a shady ass deal where they are leasing the bandwidth, etc. from a Japanese company (But I know that Japanese providers don't throttle shit and it's easy to request a global IP (no firewall or anything)

uhh... to clarify, it's easy to get a global IP from a Japanese provider, NOT from Americable. In fact, I don't believe they even offer business accounts or the like

But my router is configured to respond to WAN PING requests at the moment and I can't even ping the sucker...

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: do providers prevent you from running a web page from home? new [Re: URherenow]
#247229 - 02/23/11 01:54 PM

> The service is technically Americable, but it's a shady ass deal where they are
> leasing the bandwidth, etc. from a Japanese company (But I know that Japanese
> providers don't throttle shit and it's easy to request a global IP (no firewall or
> anything)
>
>
> uhh... to clarify, it's easy to get a global IP from a Japanese provider, NOT from
> Americable. In fact, I don't believe they even offer business accounts or the like
>
> But my router is configured to respond to WAN PING requests at the moment and I can't
> even ping the sucker...

Have you got a DNS serice? Have you made sure that your router has a static IP and not a dynamic one?

I'm using BT Total in the UK with WAMP Server and DynDNS and the only problems I get is extreme slowness. DynDNS offer a program to automatically update your account's IP to your routers when it changes.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

URherenow
Send PM

Re: do providers prevent you from running a web page from home? new [Re: Naoki]
#247272 - 02/23/11 10:52 PM

checking my IP online matches my router's external IP, and shows up as being static (although it does change if I take my router out of the picture and reboot the cable modem). So DNS doesn't even matter at this point... I can't connect to the IP or even ping it!

All DNS does is translate your domain name into an IP.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#247281 - 02/24/11 12:39 AM

> checking my IP online matches my router's external IP, and shows up as being static
> (although it does change if I take my router out of the picture and reboot the cable
> modem). So DNS doesn't even matter at this point... I can't connect to the IP or even
> ping it!
>
> All DNS does is translate your domain name into an IP.

What type of cable modem?

There are usually minor configurations you can do inside that box if the problem lies there. (192.168.100.1 on most major boxes). Try an external tracert at www.dnsstuff.com. it should give you a clue as to where the blockage is.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: do providers prevent you from running a web page from home? new [Re: italie]
#247299 - 02/24/11 03:55 AM

It's an older Motorola Surfboard. Americable doesn't allow you to use your own modem, and I had just picked up a DOCSIS 3.0 surfboard not too long before moving to Japan (in my defence, I was hoping to be out in town, but the misses really wanted to live on base because of the central heat&air

http://www.dnsstuff.com./tools/tracert/?...=203.205.124.80

the tracert makes me feel comfortable about posting it

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#247304 - 02/24/11 05:25 AM

> It's an older Motorola Surfboard. Americable doesn't allow you to use your own modem,
> and I had just picked up a DOCSIS 3.0 surfboard not too long before moving to Japan
> (in my defence, I was hoping to be out in town, but the misses really wanted to live
> on base because of the central heat&air
>
> http://www.dnsstuff.com./tools/tracert/?...=203.205.124.80
>
> the tracert makes me feel comfortable about posting it

Uh... "base"?

As in military base?

Are you sure it's not THAT that's getting in the way?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#247310 - 02/24/11 06:25 AM

> Americable doesn't allow you to use your own modem

Are you positive? I've never heard of a cable company that won't let you use your own.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: do providers prevent you from running a web page from home? new [Re: krick]
#247330 - 02/24/11 12:29 PM

> Are you positive? I've never heard of a cable company that won't let you use your
> own.

If they manage your internet account and keep username and password for Point-to-Point Protocol only for themselves they will.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: do providers prevent you from running a web page from home? new [Re: Foxhack]
#247338 - 02/24/11 03:24 PM

Yup, I'm sure. Americable is just subcontracted out (lowest bidder) but they aren't run by the base at all. Wish they were... I'd have some pretty good pull in that case. I'm not that low on the totem pole anymore

URherenow
Send PM

Re: do providers prevent you from running a web page from home? new [Re: krick]
#247339 - 02/24/11 03:27 PM

Beleive me I've asked and pleaded and begged. Not that it would matter all that much... the fact that these idiots rent out HD DVRs only and do not provide a single HD channel, tells me that they will NEVER move up to DOCSIS 3 .

And just outside the gate is riddled with 30MB cable connections with global IP addresses, fighting for business with the damn fiber providers (that being a good thing and this -> playing a tune to my tears and sobs)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#247487 - 02/27/11 01:43 AM

Why can't you just run your website from a hosting company.

I use HostGator, and its just $4.99 a month. You can probably find them cheaper, but with all the grief you are having it seems the obvious choice.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 243 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1584