MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

What does it say about your personality...
#246208 - 02/10/11 07:13 AM

...When you run out of lives in a shmup with leftover bombs, especially when you play as I do with one credit?

Am I grossly over confident and overestimating my abilities (not needing the bombs yet because "I'm awesome at this game",) or just a timid, frugal saver ("I can't use the bomb yet, gotta save it for the boss"?)

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: What does it say about your personality... new [Re: Hizzout]
#246217 - 02/10/11 08:33 AM

> ...When you run out of lives in a shmup with leftover bombs, especially when you play
> as I do with one credit?
>
> Am I grossly over confident and overestimating my abilities (not needing the bombs
> yet because "I'm awesome at this game",) or just a timid, frugal saver ("I can't use
> the bomb yet, gotta save it for the boss"?)

I'm definitely in the hoarder camp. Half the time I forget to use them when the time finally comes.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#246224 - 02/10/11 09:24 AM

> ...When you run out of lives in a shmup with leftover bombs, especially when you play
>
> Am I grossly over confident and overestimating my abilities (not needing the bombs
> yet because "I'm awesome at this game",) or just a timid, frugal saver ("I can't use

^ That.

I mean, that's what I try to do. Usually I'm not (thinking) fast enough to use a bomb, say, mid-stage to get myself out of a tight spot... Dying is always unexpected (for me). It's not a matter of IF, but WHEN.

LEVEL-4

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#246236 - 02/10/11 02:43 PM

>

It says we're masochists, at least that's implied in danmaku players and not common shoot'em ups anyway.

It's so easier to open your path to the boss by bombing, yet it's hard to keep you alive and to spend all your bombs. The worse about Touhou games in particular is grazing bullets for gaining points. It stops you from bombing in most places... even if you need it in order to pass through. Most of the time you end up dying even when you got more than 3 bombs.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Depends on the game new [Re: Hizzout]
#246267 - 02/10/11 10:29 PM

For Twin Cobra, it's extra points x10k each.

In Strikers1945, I've gone through different modes. When I first started playing it, circa '05 or 6, it was about not needing them to get through the boss.

Then I developed this reflex action to press the button just before I would die. But this turned into a chicken behavior, and now, while I don't play it often, when I do, I can't get past the first or second boss without buying it at least once.

Truthfully, I'm not really enjoying the game, because it at one point became all about gain.

A similar phenomenon, and real heartache, is with Robotron. I noticed the other day that I was no longer hearing the transition sound between screens, and the 'set-up' sound at the beginning of new screens.

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#246421 - 02/12/11 09:25 PM

>

hahahaha

Me to a tee!

Cheers,

Ralph.

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#246426 - 02/12/11 10:30 PM

It says that you just need to practice more on the not dying part

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 91 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1572