View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox?
#245764 - 02/05/11 04:49 PM

I sorta got mac osx 10.5.something installed (no audio)

Trying to install Snow leopard now on a new disk image... just playing around :P

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: URherenow]
#245769 - 02/05/11 05:53 PM

Isn't it illegal to run Mac OS X through any emulation software or other hardware? AFAIK only OS X Server permits that.

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Pr3tty F1y
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/18/05
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: Naoki]
#245774 - 02/05/11 08:54 PM

> Isn't it illegal to run Mac OS X through any emulation software or other hardware?
> AFAIK only OS X Server permits that.

A EULA isn't law. Hell, it doesn't even have to agree with law. There is nothing legally prohibiting you from running a legally purchased copy of MacOS on non-Apple hardware.

It would be like GMC suing you for putting a Chevy engine in a Ford truck (although, as with running MacOS on non-Mac hardware, YMMV).

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: URherenow]
#245782 - 02/05/11 10:43 PM

I use it quite a bit.

Just be prepared to treat the VM like another computer.

The snapshot features is pretty decent. Though I like the way virtual pc does it better. As it actually makes sense there.

They come out with new versions about once a month. Which is usually when I update all of my base snapshots with all the latest patches and recompress the empty space.

The speed is decent. Though VMWare is a bit faster in general but not much so that you would notice.

The directx support is about as good as what you will find in wine.

But it is pretty cool to be able to totally jack up a computer and with a few clicks it is back to normal. I use them quite a bit to see if I like a piece of software enough to actually use it on my main computer. Media monkey is the one up for today

Probably my biggest tip is to keep the vhd's defragmented. They fragment pretty quickly. Just defragmented one today and it had like 2000 fragments. Defragmenting inside of the vhd is not as important but it helps when you are removing extra space. I usually use something like mydefrag then sdelete.

Oh one thing I have noticed is the guest additions do not install very well. So do not put them in your main snapshot. I usually keep 2 level snapshot. One with and the main one that is derived from that does not have it. I have had on many occasions the additions just not install properly. One of my XP installs right now is messed up because of it.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: lharms]
#245785 - 02/06/11 12:44 AM

> I use it quite a bit.
>
> Just be prepared to treat the VM like another computer.
>
> The snapshot features is pretty decent. Though I like the way virtual pc does it
> better. As it actually makes sense there.
>
> They come out with new versions about once a month. Which is usually when I update
> all of my base snapshots with all the latest patches and recompress the empty space.
>
> The speed is decent. Though VMWare is a bit faster in general but not much so that
> you would notice.
>
> The directx support is about as good as what you will find in wine.
>
> But it is pretty cool to be able to totally jack up a computer and with a few clicks
> it is back to normal. I use them quite a bit to see if I like a piece of software
> enough to actually use it on my main computer. Media monkey is the one up for today
>
> Probably my biggest tip is to keep the vhd's defragmented. They fragment pretty
> quickly. Just defragmented one today and it had like 2000 fragments. Defragmenting
> inside of the vhd is not as important but it helps when you are removing extra space.
> I usually use something like mydefrag then sdelete.
>
> Oh one thing I have noticed is the guest additions do not install very well. So do
> not put them in your main snapshot. I usually keep 2 level snapshot. One with and the
> main one that is derived from that does not have it. I have had on many occasions the
> additions just not install properly. One of my XP installs right now is messed up
> because of it.

Here's a stupid question: Does DirectX work on Windows 98?

Naoki
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: Foxhack]
#245789 - 02/06/11 01:34 AM

Yes, but it'd be running an ancient version.

----

By gods I've found it!

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: lharms]
#245792 - 02/06/11 01:49 AM

> I use it quite a bit.

Me too. Highly recommended. I'm running everything from all major versions of DOS, BeOS, all versions of windows, 6+ linux distros, and some experimental stuff like MinuetOS, etc.

> But it is pretty cool to be able to totally jack up a computer and with a few clicks
> it is back to normal. I use them quite a bit to see if I like a piece of software
> enough to actually use it on my main computer. Media monkey is the one up for today

Yes, great for playing around / sandboxing / trying stuff out.

> Probably my biggest tip is to keep the vhd's defragmented. They fragment pretty
> quickly. Just defragmented one today and it had like 2000 fragments. Defragmenting
> inside of the vhd is not as important but it helps when you are removing extra space.
> I usually use something like mydefrag then sdelete.

Yep, I've found the same thing. I'm probably going to change from dynamic to static hdd images (which don't expand). It will mean some more disk space is used on host, but defrag issues on host will be greatly reduced.

> Oh one thing I have noticed is the guest additions do not install very well.

I've had no problems here (providing the OS is supported by VBox and the guest additions).

Moose

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#245824 - 02/06/11 06:22 AM

> Yes, but it'd be running an ancient version.

I have loads of old games that won't work on XP but worked fine on 98. Hence my question.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: Pr3tty F1y]
#245827 - 02/06/11 06:56 AM

> It would be like GMC suing you for putting a Chevy engine in a Ford truck (although,
> as with running MacOS on non-Mac hardware, YMMV).

IIRC the EULA says something like you can only install OS X on "an Apple labeled computer".

It's funny that they use the word "labeled" and then give you Apple stickers with almost everything they sell.

S

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: Foxhack]
#245849 - 02/06/11 12:51 PM

I have a Windows 95 VM and a 98SE VM loaded down with older versions of DirectX and old Windows games that don't like XP or newer, myself. Mechwarrior 2 runs pretty well, though I'm finding myself more prone to going to DosBox for a lot of stuff where there's a DOS version.

It's kinda funny going back to a 95 or 98 OS, though. A lot of locations for options have changed, the feel is a lot different, and there's a definite feeling of nostalgia. I find myself thinking, "I remember running the beta version of this all those years ago and thinking this was such an improvement.."

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Naoki
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: Sune]
#245853 - 02/06/11 02:34 PM

Yeah, rediculous thing to say. "on only Apple manufactured hardware" would hae worked better.

----

By gods I've found it!

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: anyone play with oracle vm virtualbox? new [Re: Firehawke]
#245877 - 02/06/11 07:24 PM

Last time I tried win98se it did not work too good in virtual box. Works pretty flawless in virtualpc (you need an older version to get the extensions though). Havent tried VMWare.

Last time I tried it the virtual extensions were not supported in win9x with virtualbox. Then a CPU would pretty much run at 100% once I finally got it installed. I think their official position is they do not support it. However, there are several threads on their forums for getting it to work. I think others have had bit more luck than I have getting it to work. The good news is *if* you can get it to work the older directx versions (1-6) had software emulation for a lot of things. You pretty much have to have the extensions to get the 3d hw acceleration to work right.

Ive been using win7 for most of my game stuff. I have had maybe 2-3 games that did not work properly. As MS's 'compatibility' mode works decently. Though I may change my tune if I come across a older 16 bit installer.

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#245904 - 02/07/11 12:38 AM

> Yeah, rediculous thing to say. "on only Apple manufactured hardware" would hae worked
> better.

That depends on where you're coming from.

It has become relatively easy to install retail OS X on a modern Intel-chipset-and-CPU based PC. If you know what you're doing, you can build a PC to Mac Pro specs for half (or less) the price of a Mac Pro and have the same performance.

You can then Apple-label it with one of those stickers that came with your ipod. The OS X EULA is basically asking you to do it.

It's still up for debate whether that would hold up in court or not though.

S

Mojo2000
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: North America
Send PM

Question new [Re: URherenow]
#245995 - 02/07/11 07:13 PM

How do you copy files or folders from host OS to guest OS in VirtualBox? It's a simple process in VMWare - just use the same Ctrl-C (or Ctrl-X) from host and then Ctrl-V within guest. My memory suggests it wasn't that straightforward in VBox.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Question new [Re: Mojo2000]
#246049 - 02/08/11 06:45 AM

Not sure... I've just been connecting via a shared folder. With finder open, click go and connect to your desktop with smb://192.168.x.x then enter a valid user name and password

I was able to get 10.6.2 to work (mostly... but I had to plug in a USB mouse and manually share it for some reason. 10.5.x just worked with mouse and keyboard...)

But I tried the software update function and had a kernel panic while rebooting. Now I need to start from scratch and just stick with 10.6.2 until I find a more up-to-date solution

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Question new [Re: Mojo2000]
#250970 - 04/06/11 05:37 AM

> How do you copy files or folders from host OS to guest OS in VirtualBox? It's a
> simple process in VMWare - just use the same Ctrl-C (or Ctrl-X) from host and then
> Ctrl-V within guest. My memory suggests it wasn't that straightforward in VBox.

Yep, that's the one issue with VirtualBox - claims to support the clipboard for supported OS's, but it only supports some of it. e.g. Ctrl-C / Ctrl-V should copy files.

I generally use a Shared Folder on the host OS to copy files around.

Or, for guest OS's that don't support VBox extensions, I drag and drop the files I want onto a CD image (Magic ISO is so useful) and mount that in the guest. A little fiddly, I know ....

Mounting shared / storage HDD images would be another way.

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 282 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2912