MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Four Flippers
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/03/11
Send PM

Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama HD Image Submission Question
#245595 - 02/03/11 05:25 PM

Hello All,

First off, I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. I've looked around a bit but again forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question.

I have recently purchase a full size Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama. Since the game uses a hard drive, I decided to attempt to back it up. The backup was successful and I was able to create an image (Clonezilla) but now the game doesn't work due to a bad controller board. I then sent the parts off to the manufacturer for repair but not before making a working image of the drive.

The game uses what appears to be standard PC components, including a Happs trackball and runs on a Linux/Fedora platform.

I'd like to submit the image to the community but I'm not sure where to do so.
The file is about 2.5 gig in size and again was imaged using Clonzilla.

Thanks for you help!!

Four Flippers

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama HD Image Submission Question new [Re: Four Flippers]
#245596 - 02/03/11 05:33 PM

I'm not sure if Clonezilla will give something usable in MAME, you might have to do it just with chdman, and there is probably a bios on the motherboard that will have to be dumped before it can be added, and it will have to be a few years old (I don't know when that came out). But you can upload the image in rar chunks to a file sharing site like sendspace and submit the links.

Four Flippers
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama HD Image Submission Question new [Re: Smitdogg]
#245602 - 02/03/11 06:08 PM

Hello Smitdogg,

Thanks for the quick response.

The reason I went with Clonezilla was just to get an image created (and it was free) but I can do some research on CHDMAN and see if it can be used. If not, can I just zip up the files on the hard drive and rar those to a site?

In regards to the motherboard Bios, it's out of my expertise. I did however buy an extra motherboard and if this was donated, would that help? If not, point me in the right direction and I'll do some research.

Thanks again for your help!!

Four Flippers

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#245604 - 02/03/11 06:16 PM

Do you have a good camera? If so post a pic of the motherboard, you can attach it. You can find info on how to dump with chdman here:
http://guru.mameworld.info/tutorials/dumping_cds_&_hdds/index.html

Four Flippers
MAME Fan
Send PM

#245606 - 02/03/11 06:22 PM

Hello Smitdogg,

I'll get a good pic of the Motherboard and post it either tonight or this weekend.
I'll also check out the CHDMAN site as well.

Again, Thank you!!

Four Flippers

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

#245635 - 02/04/11 03:00 AM

CHDMAN comes with the standard MAME binary, there's no dedicated official site AFAIK

Edited by Naoki (02/04/11 03:00 AM)

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Four Flippers
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama HD Image Submission Question new [Re: Naoki]
#245646 - 02/04/11 05:37 AM

Will CHDMAN work with a Linux drive?
thanks,
Four flippers

Naoki
Send PM

#245660 - 02/04/11 06:42 AM

There's a build of CHDMAN for Linux if that's what you mean.

----

By gods I've found it!

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

#245667 - 02/04/11 07:39 AM

> Do you have a good camera? If so post a pic of the motherboard, you can attach it.
> You can find info on how to dump with chdman here:
> http://guru.mameworld.info/tutorials/dumping_cds_&_hdds/index.html

IIRC the Motherboard was P4, nothing terribly special about it.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

#245672 - 02/04/11 07:52 AM

> There's a build of CHDMAN for Linux if that's what you mean.

no, he means if CHDMAN can handle Linux partition drive. because original arcade game is run under Linux.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama HD Image Submission Question new [Re: abelenki]
#245676 - 02/04/11 08:46 AM

Then it shouldn't make a difference as CHDMAN reads the raw data from the disk.

----

By gods I've found it!

Four Flippers
MAME Fan
Send PM

#245690 - 02/04/11 03:42 PM

Great!

I'll load fire up the HDD, back it up with CHDMAN, take a high quality pic of the Motherboard (per Smitdoggs request) and upload both to a site so the MAME team can have at it.

Again, this game appears to function on a VERY simple platform, using a PC motherboard, Hard Drive, Video Card, LCD monitor, Serial Control Interface and a Happs trackball.

Note: What's interesting is when my game failed, they ONLY sell/repair/replace the system if you send in the Motherboard,Control Board and Hard Drive. They won't sell or repair just one piece of it. That tells me all 3 pieces have to match. They also are labeled with a matching serial number. Not sure if this helps.

Thanks!!!

Four Flippers

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#245692 - 02/04/11 04:30 PM

I don't want to discourage you from dumping games but unless there is some policy change in MAME for newer PC game to make them just use the CPU in people's PC on them directly like running a regular PC game instead of emulating the original game's CPU like every current game in MAME is done then this will never run in MAME in our lifetime. A "powerful" system in MAME is Naomi, it ran at 200 Mhz originally and is dog slow on high end computers in emulation. That P4 system was probably ~2.5 Ghz.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

#245695 - 02/04/11 05:59 PM

> I don't want to discourage you from dumping games but unless there is some policy
> change in MAME for newer PC game to make them just use the CPU in people's PC on them
> directly like running a regular PC game instead of emulating the original game's CPU
> like every current game in MAME is done

I don't think there will be changes. the output would be different on each machine, destroying accuracy.

> then this will never run in MAME in our
> lifetime. A "powerful" system in MAME is Naomi, it ran at 200 Mhz originally and is
> dog slow on high end computers in emulation. That P4 system was probably ~2.5 Ghz.

still a dump of the disk would e.g. allow to other people to repair a cabinet, which is something valuable even if we cannot play it at full speed on nowadays systems...

Four Flippers
MAME Fan
Send PM

#245696 - 02/04/11 06:00 PM

Hello Smitdogg,

Thanks for the input. What do you advise? You're right that the game may be unplayable with MAME the way it's designed. Is there another platform better suited for emulating PC/HDD based games?

Again, just looking for advise.

Thanks again!

Four Flippers

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#245697 - 02/04/11 06:05 PM

> Hello Smitdogg,
>
> Thanks for the input. What do you advise? You're right that the game may be
> unplayable with MAME the way it's designed. Is there another platform better suited
> for emulating PC/HDD based games?
>
> Again, just looking for advise.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> Four Flippers

Like etabeta was saying, still dump and submit it, I just don't want you to get your hopes up that you will be able to play it in MAME soon/ever if it ran on a P4. I haven't really looked much into your platform question, I imagine PC based arcade games could be cracked one by one to run on regular PC's the way that PC games are. Whether that gets done soon for that particular one, I don't know. My guess is it won't.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

#245727 - 02/05/11 01:49 AM

> I don't want to discourage you from dumping games but unless there is some policy
> change in MAME for newer PC game to make them just use the CPU in people's PC on them
> directly like running a regular PC game instead of emulating the original game's CPU
> like every current game in MAME is done then this will never run in MAME in our
> lifetime. A "powerful" system in MAME is Naomi, it ran at 200 Mhz originally and is
> dog slow on high end computers in emulation. That P4 system was probably ~2.5 Ghz.

I hear things like "this will never run in MAME in our lifetime" a lot, so allow me to chime in that I completely disagree. We have not even come close to the theoretical potential of matter to perform computation. The exponential growth of computer speed has continued unabated for as long as computers have existed, and there are plenty of technologies in development that should allow that trend to continue for at least the next couple of decades--carbon-based transistors from nanotubes or graphene, memristors, on-chip laser communication, quantum computing. Hell, even today Arbee's getting 150% in Gauntlet Legends, a 200MHz game, on his Sandy Bridge processor.

So, since we're making bold predictions, let me go out on a limb and predict that 20 years from now, no video game that currently exists will be unplayable in emulation due to processor speed. (Some could certainly be unplayable due to incomplete emulation, however.) Someone be sure to remind me in 2031.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama HD Image Submission Question new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#245728 - 02/05/11 01:57 AM

I hope you're right. I've heard that the P4 can't be accurately emulated "period", regardless of speed.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

#245729 - 02/05/11 02:02 AM

> I hope you're right. I've heard that the P4 can't be accurately emulated "period",
> regardless of speed.

Do you have details on that? It seems to me that any digital processor should be able to be emulated accurately, provided that the details of its operation are known. If the processor didn't have reasonably consistent behavior, how would it have worked to run programs in the first place?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama HD Image Submission Question new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#245730 - 02/05/11 02:07 AM

I forgot the details. It was said that anything past one in the PIII lineup, 733 IIRC, couldn't be done accurately.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#245734 - 02/05/11 02:21 AM

> like every current game in MAME is done then this will never run in MAME in our

While I doubt that using the host CPU natively will ever happen in MAME (and don't really think it should, in any case) if the dumps is available to emu dev types one may decide to write something else that does use the host CPU - you never know...

Four Flippers
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Rockin' Bowl-O-Rama HD Image Submission Question new [Re: italie]
#245773 - 02/05/11 08:46 PM

All,

The Motherboard pics are available at:
http://s1108.photobucket.com/albums/h401/Fourflippers/

I'll get the HDD image uploaded soon.

Thanks again,
Four Flippers

Naoki
Send PM

#245788 - 02/06/11 01:24 AM

Found the website, Manual and a BIOS is provided on site.

Looking at the specs I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't full emulated for atleast two decades or so.

----

By gods I've found it!

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

#245808 - 02/06/11 04:14 AM

> I'll get the HDD image uploaded soon.

but don't post the links here. ROMs/CHDs links are not allowed here. better send a PM to Smitdogg.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

Four Flippers
MAME Fan
Send PM

#246072 - 02/08/11 03:43 PM

All,

The HDD image files have been submitted to the Union.

I understand we aren't suppposed to submit rom's or links to rom's here so I will honor that

For what it's worth, if someone would like to play with this image, please send me a private message and I'll provide you the info.

Thank you,

Four Flippers

fredflip
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/06/12
Send PM

#298579 - 11/06/12 11:38 PM

hi
first sorry for my poor english, i'm french
I will soon have a rockin' bowl-o-rama cabinet, the only things i knew are : lcd is out of order and there is no graphic card
i made some google searchs, and i can read your post, in case my hard drive is broken did you still have your hard drive image ?
thanks
fred

Big Tuna
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/18/20
Send PM

#387547 - 08/18/20 03:38 PM

Hey everyone! Wondering if this was ever completed or accomplished. I bought a cheap Rockin Bowl o Rama but like most it's not working. Would love to get to play it. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks everyone!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 292 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6747