MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jcroach
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/27/04
Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
Send PM

Boston in the Spring?
#244464 - 01/24/11 09:53 PM

Going to Boston in the spring. Have been since 1998. Any recommendations for bars, clubs, arcades, site seeing, etc? How's public transit in Boston?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Boston in the Spring? new [Re: jcroach]
#244465 - 01/24/11 09:55 PM

> Going to Boston in the spring. Have been since 1998. Any recommendations for bars,
> clubs, site seeing, etc? How's public transit in Boston?

PAX East - March 11-13, 2011.
http://www.paxsite.com

- Stiletto

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Boston in the Spring? new [Re: Stiletto]
#244470 - 01/24/11 10:04 PM

> > Going to Boston in the spring. Have been since 1998. Any recommendations for bars,
> > clubs, site seeing, etc? How's public transit in Boston?
>
> PAX East - March 11-13, 2011.
> http://www.paxsite.com
>
> - Stiletto

Nope, April 9-12th, but that does look like fun!

Stick
Ultra Lurker
Reged: 11/21/03
Loc: Alabama
Send PM

#244476 - 01/24/11 11:52 PM

Made me think of this

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

#244505 - 01/25/11 05:21 AM

> Going to Boston in the spring. Have been since 1998. Any recommendations for bars,
> clubs, arcades, site seeing, etc? How's public transit in Boston?

As far as transportation, the T will get you pretty much anywhere you need to go, so long as you're not in a huge hurry. I wouldn't bother renting a car unless you're planning to go outside of metro Boston. Parking is a pain in the ass and/or expensive pretty much everywhere in the city.

It's been a long time since I've really hung out at bars in the city other than the after-work watering hole. Lansdowne Street is probably a pretty good bet, though, if you're into the bar scene. It's right at Fenway Park, and there are 7-8 clubs and bars all in a row. Jillian's is about as close as you'll come to an arcade in the city, it's kind of similar to Dave and Buster's. Go on a day when the Sox are away, unless you're into the crowds and sporting event ambiance.

The Liberty Hotel seems to be the hot place for celebs and the beautiful people to hang out, if you're into that scene. The restaurant there, Scampo, is supposed to be really good. My wife's been, although I haven't eaten there myself yet.

As for sightseeing, I dunno... Faneuil Hall is the tourist shopping destination. It's a nice place to walk around if the weather's nice, although the stores are mostly generic mall fare. The Common and the Public Gardens are another good place to walk around if the weather's nice. A Duck Tour is a pretty good way to see the city, just be warned that if you quack at me I may flip you off. Harvard Square can be a pretty cool place. There are usually street performers and stuff going on, and there are tons of shops, restaurants, and bars in the area.

Just whatever you do, don't go to fucking Cheers. The damned show's been off the air for 25 years, and the bar just barely had anything to do with the show, anyway. That always seemed like the worst of the tourist traps to me.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#244515 - 01/25/11 07:35 AM

Stay away from the Combat Zone. Maybe the Mayor cleaned the place up, I dunno. Been ages since I was anywhere near there. Honest.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Boston in the Spring? new [Re: Andrew]
#244517 - 01/25/11 07:58 AM

> Stay away from the Combat Zone. Maybe the Mayor cleaned the place up, I dunno. Been
> ages since I was anywhere near there. Honest.

It's been a while, eh?

The only thing left of the Combat Zone these days are two strip clubs and an adult bookstore. I'm not even sure if the bookstore is there anymore.

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Boston in the Spring? new [Re: Stick]
#244545 - 01/25/11 03:48 PM

> Made me think of this

Nice. My son used to watch this all the time. Now all he does is play Lego Star Wars it seems!

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Boston in the Spring? new [Re: DMala]
#244547 - 01/25/11 04:00 PM

> > Going to Boston in the spring. Have been since 1998. Any recommendations for bars,
> > clubs, arcades, site seeing, etc? How's public transit in Boston?
>
> As far as transportation, the T will get you pretty much anywhere you need to go, so
> long as you're not in a huge hurry. I wouldn't bother renting a car unless you're
> planning to go outside of metro Boston. Parking is a pain in the ass and/or expensive
> pretty much everywhere in the city.
>
> It's been a long time since I've really hung out at bars in the city other than the
> after-work watering hole. Lansdowne Street is probably a pretty good bet, though, if
> you're into the bar scene. It's right at Fenway Park, and there are 7-8 clubs and
> bars all in a row. Jillian's is about as close as you'll come to an arcade in the
> city, it's kind of similar to Dave and Buster's. Go on a day when the Sox are away,
> unless you're into the crowds and sporting event ambiance.
>
> The Liberty Hotel seems to be the hot place for celebs and the beautiful people to
> hang out, if you're into that scene. The restaurant there, Scampo, is supposed to be
> really good. My wife's been, although I haven't eaten there myself yet.
>
> As for sightseeing, I dunno... Faneuil Hall is the tourist shopping destination. It's
> a nice place to walk around if the weather's nice, although the stores are mostly
> generic mall fare. The Common and the Public Gardens are another good place to walk
> around if the weather's nice. A Duck Tour is a pretty good way to see the city, just
> be warned that if you quack at me I may flip you off. Harvard Square can be a pretty
> cool place. There are usually street performers and stuff going on, and there are
> tons of shops, restaurants, and bars in the area.
>
> Just whatever you do, don't go to fucking Cheers. The damned show's been off the air
> for 25 years, and the bar just barely had anything to do with the show, anyway. That
> always seemed like the worst of the tourist traps to me.

Thanks for the tips! Especially about Lansdowne Street and the Liberty Hotel. Those are new ones for me. I spent a little time Harvard Square the last time I was there, but I want to spend more time this time around.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

#244554 - 01/25/11 04:44 PM

> > Stay away from the Combat Zone. Maybe the Mayor cleaned the place up, I dunno. Been
> > ages since I was anywhere near there. Honest.
>
> It's been a while, eh?
>
> The only thing left of the Combat Zone these days are two strip clubs and an adult
> bookstore. I'm not even sure if the bookstore is there anymore.

What is the Combat Zone? And where is it? I have a weekend to spare

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Boston in the Spring? new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#244573 - 01/25/11 07:52 PM

> What is the Combat Zone? And where is it? I have a weekend to spare

It used to be the red light district in Boston, situated more or less in Chinatown. As I said, it's basically gone. Centerfolds and The Glass Slipper are still there, but from what I've heard neither place is very good. You're better off going out to the suburbs if you're into that sort of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Zone_(Boston)

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Send PM

#244632 - 01/26/11 05:19 AM

I vaguely remember an arcade around there in the early 80s.

--

snake78
sineku setenta y ocho
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Newport, RI
Send PM

#244635 - 01/26/11 05:37 AM

> I vaguely remember an arcade around there in the early 80s.

Is Jillian's still there? The pool hall/arcade? I don't know if that was the Combat Zone... I've rarely gone into Boston since I moved up to New England in '96, but I did go to Jillian's sometime in the late 90's/early 00's. Jillian's had a cool retro arcade section... I played Asteroids there which piqued my interest in old arcade games and eventually led me to Mame/Mameworld.

www.randyrobbinsmusic.com
RandyRobbinsMusic on Facebook

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#244637 - 01/26/11 05:53 AM

Ha, I remember driving in, I think it was Wilmington, MA about 5-6 years ago. Someone was having a yard sale, and they had one of the lighted signs from the Naked I out for sale. I totally should have bought it. Would have been a tough sell to the wife, though... "But... but.. it's a piece of history."

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Boston in the Spring? new [Re: snake78]
#244638 - 01/26/11 06:03 AM

> Is Jillian's still there? The pool hall/arcade? I don't know if that was the Combat
> Zone... I've rarely gone into Boston since I moved up to New England in '96, but I
> did go to Jillian's sometime in the late 90's/early 00's. Jillian's had a cool retro
> arcade section... I played Asteroids there which piqued my interest in old arcade
> games and eventually led me to Mame/Mameworld.

Yeah, Jillian's is still on Lansdowne, next to Fenway. I haven't been in years, not sure what their retro selection looks like these days.

There used to be a pretty cool arcade on Huntington, across from Northeastern. It was a classic, dingy hole-in-the-wall type of place. It closed up around '98-'99, though. I remember seeing the last of the games being hauled out in an open truck, uncovered, in the rain.

To my knowledge, there aren't any real arcades left anywhere in the city. Some of the bowling alleys might still have a machine or two, but that's about it. Funspot's only about two hours away, though.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Send PM

#244641 - 01/26/11 06:22 AM

> There used to be a pretty cool arcade on Huntington, across from Northeastern.

I went there many times and was sad to see it go. What was it called, I can't remember.

There's still Fun n games in Framingham but they were reinventing themselves as a family fun type place last time I checked. I suspect its days are numbered as well.

--

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

#244735 - 01/27/11 06:16 AM

> > There used to be a pretty cool arcade on Huntington, across from Northeastern.
>
> I went there many times and was sad to see it go. What was it called, I can't
> remember.

Argh, I don't remember. That's going to drive me crazy now.

I remember they had a blue and yellow awning that they shared with the dive bar next door, whose name I also can't remember.

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Send PM

#244754 - 01/27/11 07:50 PM

>Argh, I don't remember. That's going to drive me crazy now.

My wife thinks it was simpley "The Game Room" or "The Gameroom". I think she's right. There was also a pretty good arcade near Harvard Square in the 80s called 1001 Plays or 1001 something or other. Don't know if it's still around.

--

jcroach
MAME Fan
Send PM

Union Oyster House? new [Re: jcroach]
#245182 - 01/31/11 04:38 PM

Is the "Union Oyster House" good or a tourist trap?

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Send PM

Re: Union Oyster House? new [Re: jcroach]
#245304 - 02/01/11 05:15 AM

> Is the "Union Oyster House" good or a tourist trap?

I've never been there, but according to the wife, it's pretty much a tourist place. If you want to eat oysters with the cool kids, check out Neptune Oyster in the North End or Island Creek Oysters in Kenmore Square.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 439 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2372