Pages: 1

Quantum Leaper
OCRer and Monkey Typist for Galaxy Game
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Orion spiral arm of the Milky Way
Send PM

Galaxy Game?
#243559 - 01/13/11 06:54 AM

I was just wondering if the Mame team was going to do something with Galaxy Game. It been about 6 months since I finished recreating the source code and getting it to compile. I was just wondering should I have submitted something or what? I didn't want to bug the Mame Developers about it, since I know what can happen but from what I can tell it shouldn't be that hard of a game to add. Since the T11 chip has the Basic PDP-11 instruction set (except MARK) and Mame already emulates that chip.

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

Re: Galaxy Game? new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#243561 - 01/13/11 07:58 AM

> I was just wondering if the Mame team was going to do something with Galaxy Game. It
> been about 6 months since I finished recreating the source code and getting it to
> compile. I was just wondering should I have submitted something or what? I didn't
> want to bug the Mame Developers about it, since I know what can happen but from what
> I can tell it shouldn't be that hard of a game to add. Since the T11 chip has the
> Basic PDP-11 instruction set (except MARK) and Mame already emulates that chip.

can you send current source and compiled binaries to submit at mamedev . org?

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Galaxy Game? new [Re: Lord Nightmare]
#243571 - 01/13/11 05:50 PM

> > I was just wondering if the Mame team was going to do something with Galaxy Game.
> It
> > been about 6 months since I finished recreating the source code and getting it to
> > compile. I was just wondering should I have submitted something or what? I didn't
> > want to bug the Mame Developers about it, since I know what can happen but from
> what
> > I can tell it shouldn't be that hard of a game to add. Since the T11 chip has the
> > Basic PDP-11 instruction set (except MARK) and Mame already emulates that chip.
>
> can you send current source and compiled binaries to submit at mamedev . org?

He has no driver or CPU core to submit.

Someone attempted to add the missing opcodes to the T-11 core a while back and Aaron correctly rejected it because the T-11 does not have those opcodes (it's simplified compared to a real PDP-11). Galaxy Game at minimum would require creating a separate core type (similar to the 680x0 family) and make sure the inauthentic opcodes are ignored or trap out or whatever they currently do when it's in T-11 mode. And as the only active developer who touches CPU cores, my backlog is about 18 months long at the moment.

Edited by R. Belmont (01/13/11 05:53 PM)

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

Re: Galaxy Game? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#243597 - 01/13/11 11:23 PM

> > > I was just wondering if the Mame team was going to do something with Galaxy Game.
> > It
> > > been about 6 months since I finished recreating the source code and getting it to
> > > compile. I was just wondering should I have submitted something or what? I didn't
> > > want to bug the Mame Developers about it, since I know what can happen but from
> > what
> > > I can tell it shouldn't be that hard of a game to add. Since the T11 chip has the
> > > Basic PDP-11 instruction set (except MARK) and Mame already emulates that chip.
> >
> > can you send current source and compiled binaries to submit at mamedev . org?
>
> He has no driver or CPU core to submit.
>
Your right I don't but its more in the nature of a Rom with the Source for the Rom. It a 91K source file and 5,910 byte binary file which would be the game. Unless you want me to convert to represent a Paper tape which is the way Bill has it binary stored, Binary, Hex, Decimal or Octal, your choice. Octal would be the easiest.

Also doesn't mean I couldn't write one or both, I just thought it would be easier for a Mamedev to it since they work with the code more. All you have to do is modify the T-11 core into a PDP-11 core, you don't need the extra opcodes unless you like adding code that will never be used, unless you find another PDP-11 game.
My experience has shows me programmers who use the source code a lot can add or modify code a lot faster than an outsider. The output and input for the game is fairly simple, Plot a point or draw a line for output and input is a joystick, not sure what kind of hand, but simple to find out. Coin input is dime or quarter.

I guess being the 'monkey typist' wasn't enough.

> Someone attempted to add the missing opcodes to the T-11 core a while back and Aaron
> correctly rejected it because the T-11 does not have those opcodes (it's simplified
> compared to a real PDP-11). Galaxy Game at minimum would require creating a separate
> core type (similar to the 680x0 family) and make sure the inauthentic opcodes are
> ignored or trap out or whatever they currently do when it's in T-11 mode. And as the
> only active developer who touches CPU cores, my backlog is about 18 months long at
> the moment.

I didn't think someone could be that dumb, not to spawn off the T-11 core and modify it to be a PDP-11 core. I would guess that Mame gets stupid submissions all the time.

So lets say I have to modify the T-11 source code into a PDP-11, the first thing to do, is change all 5 files names into PDP11(something).X, correct? Then run a search and replace on all t11_ to pdp11_ in the source code right? I know there is more to it than that, but I found beginning small always the best way in any program. I guess then you could add the extra 14 opcodes (plus different modes) which would never be used in Galaxy Game since it uses 33 opcodes (and different modes) for a total of 986 total opcodes, all of which are available in the T-11.

I was always thought Mame was about preserving history, and Galaxy Game is the first Arcade game.

One last thought, the PDF spent years on the website doing nothing, until someone who was interested in history did something with it, I guess it will spend a few more years before it added to MAME, since you said it will take you 18 months to look at it. I guess a few more years before some real history is added to Mame.

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

May I? new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#243601 - 01/14/11 12:09 AM

>and Galaxy Game is the first Arcade game.

I love it! A man after my own heart. Boy, did this forum have some heated debates over that, believe me!

>I guess a few more years before some real history is added to Mame.

A word of caution... your comment sounds pretty harsh, considering all the great arcade history already preserved through MAME! But don't despare... your type-monkey efforts have not been in vein... your mere reconstitution of that code which is Galaxy Games has already contributed greatly to its being preserved... emulated is another thing. Lots of games are dumped but not emulated. All in due time, Quantum Leaper... can I can you Quant? But I think you nailed the head on the nail when you added "Also doesn't mean I couldn't write one or both." Were YOU able to "add" the correct emulation code, I'm sure it would be accepted. Sounds like you might know enough to climb the learning curve up to being able to get 'er done. Outside of that... its a matter of patience while people who work at their own volunteered personal interest time get to it. To look at the glass as half full, isn't it great what is being preserved through the collective efforts of everyone involved?

hap
Reged: 12/01/08
Send PM

Re: Galaxy Game? new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#243616 - 01/14/11 01:29 AM

Don't take it wrong. Your work is appreciated a lot.

MAME developers are volunteers, just like you I suppose; they do what they want and when they want it. Who knows there's another guy very interested in old arcade hardware, and shows up with a PDP-11 emulator and Galaxy Game driver.

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

Re: May I? new [Re: GatKong]
#243630 - 01/14/11 04:29 AM

Yes, I'm definitely glad for the efforts getting it typed and compiling. When I first got the source code I wasn't even sure it would be possible to make out everything. But emulating an actual PDP-11 would be the technically correct way, and as a bonus, MESS would get PDP-11 emulation. It might not hurt to ask on the MESS forum in case one of the MESS-focused developers is interested. But if no one wants to do it now, it may just have to wait. Or, if you're able to get anything running with it, even if it's not fully working, that would certainly be appreciated.

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

Re: May I? new [Re: GatKong]
#243635 - 01/14/11 06:01 AM

> > and Galaxy Game is the first Arcade game.
>
> I love it! A man after my own heart. Boy, did this forum have some heated debates
> over that, believe me!
>
> > I guess a few more years before some real history is added to Mame.
>
> A word of caution... your comment sounds pretty harsh, considering all the great
> arcade history already preserved through MAME! But don't despare... your type-monkey
> efforts have not been in vein... your mere reconstitution of that code which is
> Galaxy Games has already contributed greatly to its being preserved... emulated is
> another thing. Lots of games are dumped but not emulated. All in due time, Quantum
> Leaper... can I can you Quant? But I think you nailed the head on the nail when you
> added "Also doesn't mean I couldn't write one or both." Were YOU able to "add" the
> correct emulation code, I'm sure it would be accepted. Sounds like you might know
> enough to climb the learning curve up to being able to get 'er done. Outside of
> that... its a matter of patience while people who work at their own volunteered
> personal interest time get to it. To look at the glass as half full, isn't it great
> what is being preserved through the collective efforts of everyone involved?

If they want to take as harsh thats fine, but I wasn't trying to be harsh, if I was I would have most likely been banned or got a warning. All it was unfiltered QL all the way, I try to make my comments nice most of the time because they don't understand me, and they think I am being mean or harsh. I'm not saying what MAMEdev has done in the past or the future is anything but great.

I wouldn't have asked those questions about what would it take to add a PDP-11 CPU core to MAME (step 1), if I wasn't still interested in getting the game to run. I might even have some time in the next couple months to do something about it, I don't know yet. I have programmed on Micros to Mainframe CPUs, in everything from Assembly to Cobol to C++ and a lot of other languages, the only language I didn't like was WatFiv (FORTRAN), you try to to basically a COBOL program without strings in Fortran who was my insane teacher. I understood the opcodes in Galaxy Game without even looking them up, even though the closest thing to a PDP-11, I have programmed is a VAX in Cobol.
What games that have been dumped with known hardware that aren't in MAME already? All the ones I know of have unknown hardware or some kind of bootleg or protection. The difference between the T-11 and the PDP-11 is 14 opcodes (not including the different modes), all the opcodes that are needed for Galaxy Game should be in MAME already.

My problem is two fold, one is time, if I don't figure some out soon, I could lose something, I don't want to lose. Second is I am not sure if my code would be accepted, I know the MAMEdev are very picky when it come to what they let in to the code.

Also I wanted to find out if anyone was working on the code, I didn't want to duplicate someone else effects.

BTW thank you for your help in the past and vote of support about my coding.

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

Re: May I? new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#243638 - 01/14/11 07:10 AM

> Yes, I'm definitely glad for the efforts getting it typed and compiling. When I first
> got the source code I wasn't even sure it would be possible to make out everything.
> But emulating an actual PDP-11 would be the technically correct way, and as a bonus,
> MESS would get PDP-11 emulation. It might not hurt to ask on the MESS forum in case
> one of the MESS-focused developers is interested. But if no one wants to do it now,
> it may just have to wait. Or, if you're able to get anything running with it, even if
> it's not fully working, that would certainly be appreciated.

That would correct way would be to emulate a PDP-11 but the differences are 14 opcodes which could be added, you do need to start somewhere and the T-11 CPU is very close a PDP-11 CPU. I guess I may have to see if I can add the PDP-11 core myself, if I have time, or ask the Mess team or even ask the newsgroup where I got the code fixed up at, a couple of them wanted to see if hardware could be added to SimH. Without the newsgroup, it would taken a lot more work to get it running and I would have never been sure if I had got it running, since the first compiler (macro11) I tried didn't create code that matched the output from Bill's listing. The second compiler did make matching listing, but it didn't support Octal, only decimal numbers and a screwy way to store data.

I just not sure how far I would get with the Mess team, since there is a lot of crossover.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Galaxy Game? new [Re: hap]
#243645 - 01/14/11 09:35 AM

well I think a skeleton driver with the 'wrong' CPU (T11) hooked up could at least help the documentation of the hardware, while waiting for the correct CPU core...

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

CPU subclassing for fun and profit new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#243659 - 01/14/11 05:55 PM

> I didn't think someone could be that dumb, not to spawn off the T-11 core and modify
> it to be a PDP-11 core. I would guess that Mame gets stupid submissions all the time.

Oh, yes

> So lets say I have to modify the T-11 source code into a PDP-11, the first thing to
> do, is change all 5 files names into PDP11(something).X, correct? Then run a search
> and replace on all t11_ to pdp11_ in the source code right? I know there is more to
> it than that, but I found beginning small always the best way in any program. I guess
> then you could add the extra 14 opcodes (plus different modes) which would never be
> used in Galaxy Game since it uses 33 opcodes (and different modes) for a total of 986
> total opcodes, all of which are available in the T-11.

FAIR WARNING: the T-11 core is not "modern" so these instructions are no longer the ideal way to do things, but you work with what you have. Converting the T-11 to C++ is far beyond the scope of this so we'll leave it in "old" form. That won't affect the acceptability of the submission.

That would be one way to do it, yes. I'm not sure you'd actually want to split it completely from the T-11 given that when opcode bugs turn up they'll need to be fixed both places though.

My suggestion would be to add a CPU type to the T-11's context with "PDP11" and "T-11" as possible values (and maybe more in the future - I believe there were multiple models of the PDP-11 with different CPUs, right?). You'll also need a second CPU_GET_INFO function for the PDP-11 which traps the CPU name and reset function and passes all others (default:) to the original handler. The CPU name would return the name for your new CPU and reset would redirect to a new CPU_RESET function which calls the existing one then overrides the CPU type to PDP-11 and makes whatever changes to the initial PC/SP/etc are necessary compared to a T-11 (if any). The original CPU_RESET function should of course set the CPU type to T-11.

In t11.h, copy the "DECLARE_LEGACY_CPU_DEVICE(T11, t11);" and change it to PDP11, pdp11 (the first is your CPU name that'll be used in drivers etc, the second is the name you used for CPU_GET_INFO). In the bottom of t11.c, copy the "DEFINE_LEGACY_CPU_DEVICE(T11, t11)" and do the same thing.

Finally, add the new opcodes but only recognize them if the CPU mode is PDP11. (Don't forget to add them to the disassembler too - it's OK in this case if the disassembler just always knows the extra opcodes).

> One last thought, the PDF spent years on the website doing nothing, until someone who
> was interested in history did something with it, I guess it will spend a few more
> years before it added to MAME, since you said it will take you 18 months to look at
> it. I guess a few more years before some real history is added to Mame.

You have to realize, MAMEdevs are largely people who grew up in the 80s and early 90s on the classic 8 and 16-bit microcomputers. Minicomputers are quite alien to our experience, even moreso than the Apple II or Amiga would be to today's average 20 year old. 8-byte bytes, byte-addressable memory, the high bit being leftmost, ASCII text, those conventions all go out the door when you start dealing with minicomputers. We'll get there eventually (as a certified Unix bigot I'd love to run the various early Bell Labs and BSD versions in MESS) but there's a substantial "everything you know is wrong" factor with those machines that doesn't exist with anything made after about 1976.

hap
Send PM

Re: CPU subclassing for fun and profit new [Re: R. Belmont]
#243670 - 01/14/11 09:19 PM

IMO T11 should be a subclass of PDP11, be better if a PDP11 core is created and once that's matured enough, add(merge) T11 to it.

http://www.village.org/pdp11/faq.html
huge timegap between the two
PDP-11: 1970
T-11: early 80s

*edit* oh, and PDP-11 doesn't have a clock, not sure how that would work with MAME.

Edited by hap (01/14/11 10:09 PM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

Re: CPU subclassing for fun and profit new [Re: hap]
#243675 - 01/14/11 11:06 PM

> IMO T11 should be a subclass of PDP11, be better if a PDP11 core is created and once
> that's matured enough, add(merge) T11 to it.

The subclass relationship here doesn't imply any physical or temporal relationship, just that Aaron already debugged the T-11 so I'll be damned if I make this poor guy reinvent the wheel in order to add 14 opcodes.

Original questioner: please ignore hap and do what I said ;-)

> *edit* oh, and PDP-11 doesn't have a clock, not sure how that would work with MAME.

Of course it has a clock, you can't have digital logic without a clock.

MASH
MASH
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Germany
Send PM

This is the best thing we can do... new [Re: etabeta]
#243690 - 01/15/11 06:09 AM

> well I think a skeleton driver with the 'wrong' CPU (T11) hooked up could at least
> help the documentation of the hardware, while waiting for the correct CPU core...

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

#243729 - 01/15/11 10:25 PM

> IMO T11 should be a subclass of PDP11, be better if a PDP11 core is created and once
> that's matured enough, add(merge) T11 to it.
>
> http://www.village.org/pdp11/faq.html
> huge timegap between the two
> PDP-11: 1970
> T-11: early 80s
>

So the PDP-11 is an earlier version of the T-11 but has 14 MORE OPcodes? You'd think it would be the other way around or does the T-11 have a bunch of other codes that the PDC-11 doesn't?
Incidentally this led me to wonder what the T-11 was in MAME for so I looking it up in MAWS - turns out that it was used in a bunch of my absolute favourite Arcade games by good old Atari like Paperboy and APB - fantastic! (shows how little I know about even my favourites too...)

ranger_lennier
Reged: 04/07/05
Send PM

Re: CPU subclassing for fun and profit new [Re: Fever]
#243730 - 01/15/11 11:15 PM

> > IMO T11 should be a subclass of PDP11, be better if a PDP11 core is created and
> once
> > that's matured enough, add(merge) T11 to it.
> >
> > http://www.village.org/pdp11/faq.html
> > huge timegap between the two
> > PDP-11: 1970
> > T-11: early 80s
> >
>
> So the PDP-11 is an earlier version of the T-11 but has 14 MORE OPcodes? You'd think
> it would be the other way around or does the T-11 have a bunch of other codes that
> the PDC-11 doesn't?

I believe this is entirely correct, and I'm not particularly surprised by it. While the T-11 may have been much later, it was also considerably cheaper than a minicomputer.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: CPU subclassing for fun and profit new [Re: ranger_lennier]
#243731 - 01/15/11 11:47 PM

> > > IMO T11 should be a subclass of PDP11, be better if a PDP11 core is created and
> > once
> > > that's matured enough, add(merge) T11 to it.
> > >
> > > http://www.village.org/pdp11/faq.html
> > > huge timegap between the two
> > > PDP-11: 1970
> > > T-11: early 80s
> > >
> >
> > So the PDP-11 is an earlier version of the T-11 but has 14 MORE OPcodes? You'd
> think
> > it would be the other way around or does the T-11 have a bunch of other codes that
> > the PDC-11 doesn't?
>
> I believe this is entirely correct, and I'm not particularly surprised by it. While
> the T-11 may have been much later, it was also considerably cheaper than a
> minicomputer.

Ah I see - reading this thread with the assumption that the older chip's opcodes were a subset of the newer and not the other way around was confusing me no end!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#243732 - 01/16/11 12:08 AM

> Ah I see - reading this thread with the assumption that the older chip's opcodes were
> a subset of the newer and not the other way around was confusing me no end!

The original PDP-11 CPU was done in discrete logic. The later single-chip implementations (T-11 and others) were simplified in various ways due to limitations of the process technology of the time.

Edited by R. Belmont (01/16/11 12:08 AM)

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

#243737 - 01/16/11 03:09 AM

> > I didn't think someone could be that dumb, not to spawn off the T-11 core and
> modify
> > it to be a PDP-11 core. I would guess that Mame gets stupid submissions all the
> time.
>
> Oh, yes
>
> > So lets say I have to modify the T-11 source code into a PDP-11, the first thing to
> > do, is change all 5 files names into PDP11(something).X, correct? Then run a search
> > and replace on all t11_ to pdp11_ in the source code right? I know there is more to
> > it than that, but I found beginning small always the best way in any program. I
> guess
> > then you could add the extra 14 opcodes (plus different modes) which would never be
> > used in Galaxy Game since it uses 33 opcodes (and different modes) for a total of
> 986
> > total opcodes, all of which are available in the T-11.
>
> FAIR WARNING: the T-11 core is not "modern" so these instructions are no longer the
> ideal way to do things, but you work with what you have. Converting the T-11 to C++
> is far beyond the scope of this so we'll leave it in "old" form. That won't affect
> the acceptability of the submission.
>
I know, when I looked at the code, I could tell it wasn't C++, which I like better than C, most of the time.

> That would be one way to do it, yes. I'm not sure you'd actually want to split it
> completely from the T-11 given that when opcode bugs turn up they'll need to be fixed
> both places though.
>
I wasn't sure how the MAMEdevs wanted to do it.

> My suggestion would be to add a CPU type to the T-11's context with "PDP11" and
> "T-11" as possible values (and maybe more in the future - I believe there were
> multiple models of the PDP-11 with different CPUs, right?). You'll also need a second
> CPU_GET_INFO function for the PDP-11 which traps the CPU name and reset function and
> passes all others (default to the original handler. The CPU name would return the
> name for your new CPU and reset would redirect to a new CPU_RESET function which
> calls the existing one then overrides the CPU type to PDP-11 and makes whatever
> changes to the initial PC/SP/etc are necessary compared to a T-11 (if any). The
> original CPU_RESET function should of course set the CPU type to T-11.
>
I will try to get something done in the next couple days. The PDP-11 did have different CPUs, but they were mainly compatible, I think. DEC had many different models and a couple bus types over the years. I think Bill used a PDP-11/20 or PDP-11/15 as the computer to run Galaxy Game but I never asked which one it was, I forgot.

> In t11.h, copy the "DECLARE_LEGACY_CPU_DEVICE(T11, t11);" and change it to PDP11,
> pdp11 (the first is your CPU name that'll be used in drivers etc, the second is the
> name you used for CPU_GET_INFO). In the bottom of t11.c, copy the
> "DEFINE_LEGACY_CPU_DEVICE(T11, t11)" and do the same thing.
>
> Finally, add the new opcodes but only recognize them if the CPU mode is PDP11. (Don't
> forget to add them to the disassembler too - it's OK in this case if the disassembler
> just always knows the extra opcodes).
>
Some of the new opcodes, I not sure about even how to add them like SPL (Set Priority Level), like I said before none of the 14 commands for the PDP-11 compare to the T-11 are used in the game. If you did a Venn diagram of the PDP-11, T-11 and Galaxy Game, each circle would be fully enclosed in the last one. I am not even sure if the PDP-11/20 even had those 14 other commands, since the cheat sheet I have on the Opcodes says those commands are 'Not applicable to all PDP-11s', so I am even sure those Opcodes existed in 1971. I do know the ROL command in Bill's source has either a printer error or compiler error. The values for those commands are different, 61 vs 66, if I remember correctly.

> > One last thought, the PDF spent years on the website doing nothing, until someone
> who
> > was interested in history did something with it, I guess it will spend a few more
> > years before it added to MAME, since you said it will take you 18 months to look at
> > it. I guess a few more years before some real history is added to Mame.
>
> You have to realize, MAMEdevs are largely people who grew up in the 80s and early 90s
> on the classic 8 and 16-bit microcomputers. Minicomputers are quite alien to our
> experience, even moreso than the Apple II or Amiga would be to today's average 20
> year old. 8-byte bytes, byte-addressable memory, the high bit being leftmost, ASCII
> text, those conventions all go out the door when you start dealing with
> minicomputers. We'll get there eventually (as a certified Unix bigot I'd love to run
> the various early Bell Labs and BSD versions in MESS) but there's a substantial
> "everything you know is wrong" factor with those machines that doesn't exist with
> anything made after about 1976.

I was around in the 80s too, I would say most of the MAMEdevs are a little younger then I am. My first video game was Coleco Combat which I would love to emulated in MESS but it all circuits if I remember correctly, played that until it broke and my first real computer was a Commodore 64. I still have one of the controls from the Coleco Combat and I want to modify it to be usable as a Tank controller. I only Minicomputers and Mainframes I used was in College, IBM and a Vax. I know some Universities are still teaching programming on a Mainframe like a IBM MVS system, even though most everyone else has left those for the most part. Programming the MVS in assembly is strange, memory was in 4K segments, and if you wanted to jump out for the segment you were in, it was not simple a jump command, though having 14 or 16 registers was nice, I can't find my command card right now.

Quantum Leaper
Send PM

#243739 - 01/16/11 03:30 AM

> > IMO T11 should be a subclass of PDP11, be better if a PDP11 core is created and
> once
> > that's matured enough, add(merge) T11 to it.
> >
> > http://www.village.org/pdp11/faq.html
> > huge timegap between the two
> > PDP-11: 1970
> > T-11: early 80s
> >
>
> So the PDP-11 is an earlier version of the T-11 but has 14 MORE OPcodes? You'd think
> it would be the other way around or does the T-11 have a bunch of other codes that
> the PDC-11 doesn't?
> Incidentally this led me to wonder what the T-11 was in MAME for so I looking it up
> in MAWS - turns out that it was used in a bunch of my absolute favourite Arcade games
> by good old Atari like Paperboy and APB - fantastic! (shows how little I know about
> even my favourites too...)

The PDP-11 series of computers run from 1971 to 1997 when DEC discontinued it, Mentec Inc. then bought the rights and produced PDP-11 processor for several years. Intel 4004 first CPU on a chip was produced in 1971 also. The T-11 (tiny) was produced in 1984, I think. Basically a stripped down version of the PDP-11 on a chip.

Edited by Quantum Leaper (01/16/11 03:34 AM)

hap
Send PM

#243815 - 01/16/11 11:18 PM

Quote:

Of course it has a clock, you can't have digital logic without a clock.

Ah, then I misunderstand. =)

So let me get this straight, PDP-11 gets its timing from a crystal? one of those cute shiny things of xxMhz, except 20 times larger in 1971?

I assumed timing depended on RAM speed alone, not counting electricity speed through many yards of wires. So, about ~1000ns per RAM access, and optionally a bit faster with expensive add-on RAM.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#243819 - 01/16/11 11:34 PM

> Of course it has a clock, you can't have digital logic without a clock.
>
> Ah, then I misunderstand. =)
>
> So let me get this straight, PDP-11 gets its timing from a crystal? one of those cute
> shiny things of xxMhz, except 20 times larger in 1971?

Actually, crystals in their modern cute & shiny form were pretty much nailed down by the mid-1950s. (Pre-WW2 they were big ugly Bakelite things, but I've seen the 3.58 MHz crystals used in early NTSC color TVs and it's very recognizable to modern eyes). That said, it's possible they generated the clock on those "big iron" machines with something like the discrete-transistor version of a 555 timer rather than a crystal.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Galaxy Game, PDP-11 cpu, and now MESS new [Re: Quantum Leaper]
#247259 - 02/23/11 09:47 PM

MESS is joining in on the action. A little bit more being added to the line also waiting for PDP-11 cpu emulation.

---
r10555 Wednesday 23rd February, 2011 at 13:52:31 UTC by Miodrag Milanović

Added skeletons for :
- SacState 8008
- PDP-11 [Unibus](M9301-YA)
- PDP-11 [Unibus](M9312)
- PDP-11 [Q-BUS] (M7195 - MXV11)
- Terak 8510A

Note that PDP11 needs proper CPU emu to be fully operational, but it's good test case for start.

[docs] messnew.txt
[src/mess] mess.mak messdriv.c
[src/mess/drivers] pdp11.c* sacstate.c* terak.c*
---

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 258 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2459