MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

*2011 Loony Bin Throwing down the 8-Bit Gauntlet Challenge**
#243512 - 01/12/11 07:37 PM

sometimes when you play older games, you shake your head at how audaciously hard they are. were they intended to be that hard by design, or was it just gaming sentiment in its infancy? or was it just fate?

your challenge, if you accept; pick one game from the 8-bit era that you haven't played (or only scarcely played) and force yourself to master it. i will not be using quicksave/quickload, and i will play this game on and off and sear it into my brain like i used to do in the heyday.

i have chosen 'mega man' for nes. may god be with me.

i learned everything i know from KC

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: *2011 Loony Bin Throwing down the 8-Bit Gauntlet Challenge** new [Re: jopezu]
#243513 - 01/12/11 07:47 PM

In a way I do this every time I play Mame. 1 credit only...no continues. It forces me to learn the game and master it rather than buying more credits and forcing my way thorough it.

Mega Man is a good choice. I can usually make it to the early stage of Dr. Wily on one set of lives but usually fail before beating the game.

I did this with Raiden 3 as well. I used to be horrible at it but now I can make it to the final boss on one set of lives....still unable to beat it though.

I always set to do Ninja Gaiden next but damn is that game hard, even with continues. I'll be part of the challenge, but I need to decide on the game I'll attempt.

Edited by Hizzout (01/12/11 07:53 PM)

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: *2011 Loony Bin Throwing down the 8-Bit Gauntlet Challenge** new [Re: Hizzout]
#243515 - 01/12/11 07:56 PM

>Ninja Gaiden

*shudder*

we used to lock ourselves in the room for hours at a time trying to beat this game - we could always get to the 2nd to last boss (knowing he was 2nd-to-last from nintendo power) and i remember thinking, "bs! impossible". it was even more infuriating knowing that another boss was after him.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: *2011 Loony Bin Throwing down the 8-Bit Gauntlet Challenge** new [Re: Hizzout]
#243524 - 01/12/11 09:56 PM

> In a way I do this every time I play Mame. 1 credit only...no continues. It forces me
> to learn the game and master it rather than buying more credits and forcing my way
> thorough it.

Yeah! When I was a kid, quarters for me were hard to come by, so I'd often go to the arcade with only 2 or 3. Back then, it was either master the game quick, or go home early. I still play MAME like that, one credit... see how far I get.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: *2011 Loony Bin Throwing down the 8-Bit Gauntlet Challenge** new [Re: jopezu]
#243532 - 01/12/11 11:32 PM

I do not accept your challenge. But the one I remember was Ikari warriors for the NES. Seriously wtf... Could only beat that one if I cheated (pause ABBA pause).

Mega man is decently hard. Back when I was any good at that sort of thing I think it took me about a week. Now I would probably not get past the first level.

The other one I remember was Commando. I eventually beat it but it took me a few months of mastering.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B76JAp8TNg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG7QBa0RMwg&feature=related

A solid month of playing and 'congratulations your all mission is all over'. Almost lost a TV on that day...

Hizzout
Send PM

#243558 - 01/13/11 06:35 AM Attachment: 34070-contra_home___hobby_recreation.jpeg 124 KB (1 downloads)

Ah yes, I've chosen my game. Contra on NES, no 30 life cheat code. Original set of lives.

That's my challenge for myself.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Gauntlet
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/04/07
Send PM

#243562 - 01/13/11 09:59 AM

> sometimes when you play older games, you shake your head at how audaciously hard they
> are. were they intended to be that hard by design, or was it just gaming sentiment in
> its infancy? or was it just fate?
>
> your challenge, if you accept; pick one game from the 8-bit era that you haven't
> played (or only scarcely played) and force yourself to master it. i will not be using
> quicksave/quickload, and i will play this game on and off and sear it into my brain
> like i used to do in the heyday.
>
>
> i have chosen 'mega man' for nes. may god be with me.

Alrighty then. My source of anxiety, and sleepless nights will be TMNT, not the arcade port, on the 64.

Hizzout
Send PM

Changed mine new [Re: Hizzout]
#243915 - 01/18/11 07:21 PM

Actually I'm going back to try and beat my own record I have on Donkey Kong. It's not much compared to some but one one night I hit 82,000 points and I haven't been close since.

My challenge to myself is to beat that score.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#243962 - 01/19/11 06:59 PM

> sometimes when you play older games, you shake your head at how audaciously hard they
> are. were they intended to be that hard by design, or was it just gaming sentiment in
> its infancy? or was it just fate?
>
> your challenge, if you accept; pick one game from the 8-bit era that you haven't
> played (or only scarcely played) and force yourself to master it. i will not be using
> quicksave/quickload, and i will play this game on and off and sear it into my brain
> like i used to do in the heyday.
>
>
> i have chosen 'mega man' for nes. may god be with me.

I just played Thrust on a C64 emulator last month - what a buzz that was.

Also, I took Elite & BeebEm on holiday with me for a fortnight in 2009 - They don't make 'em like that any more.

Cheers,

Ralph.

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: *2011 Loony Bin Throwing down the 8-Bit Gauntlet Challenge** new [Re: Gauntlet]
#244026 - 01/20/11 07:09 PM

exactly which tmnt title are you referring to?

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

#244188 - 01/22/11 08:40 AM

the hardest game for me was that werewolf game. i jump and die. jump and die.i turned into a wolf and threw my controller out the window.i got 7 years in my room for that.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 519 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1811