MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Really? Some cultures are beyond help.
#242471 - 01/02/11 09:56 PM

Regarding the Iranian woman who's been in the news regarding her death sentence... two quotes I pulled from the article.

Quote:

Ashtiani was convicted of adultery in 2006... and sentenced to death by stoning.

Quote:

She was later convicted of being an accessory to her husband's murder and sentenced to 10 years in prison.

REALLY? Death by stoning for cheating on your husband... but only 10 years for helping to kill him? Shit, dumb woman... should have killed him first... then there'd be no husband to cheat on. Even dumber is a culture that has such lob-sided "justice".

FatTrucker
Randomly pressing buttons in hope of success.
Reged: 01/31/06
Loc: London UK
Send PM

Re: Really? Some cultures are beyond help. new [Re: GatKong]
#242478 - 01/02/11 11:46 PM

Not really beyond help, just out of their time.

Just a hundred or so years ago we were hanging children for theft, shooting our own troops for refusing to commit suicide in the face of the enemy, generally still lopping off heads in rightous fury all in the name of god, honour and the Queen...pretty much in that order. Women weren't emancipated accepted or allowed to live as equals in the world of men, you could quite reasonably beat your wife half to death if you so chose - and many did. An adulterous man was tolerated, an adulterous woman was socially castrated, humiliated, and cast out destitute...if her husband didn't kill her first.

A few score years before that we were still crossing the Oceans, enslaving other nations and forcing them to work under the whip and yoke. Genetically just an eye blink ago really.

2 World wars and burgeoning capitalism led to our cultural revolution otherwise we could still be sitting alongside the Iranians wondering at all the effort they put into stoning when the rope or rifle is so much less hassle.
Large parts of the Middle East simply haven't caught up yet, but we (being western society) certainly don't have a moral high ground to shout at them from, we've barely got the blood out of our own carpets.

I agree its f**king mental/evil to our 21st Century eyes, but they'll catch up eventually.

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

Re: Really? Some cultures are beyond help. new [Re: FatTrucker]
#242484 - 01/03/11 12:48 AM

> Not really beyond help, just out of their time.
>
> Just a hundred or so years ago we were hanging children for theft, shooting our own
> troops for refusing to commit suicide in the face of the enemy, generally still
> lopping off heads in rightous fury all in the name of god, honour and the
> Queen...pretty much in that order. Women weren't emancipated accepted or allowed to
> live as equals in the world of men, you could quite reasonably beat your wife half to
> death if you so chose - and many did. An adulterous man was tolerated, an adulterous
> woman was socially castrated, humiliated, and cast out destitute...if her husband
> didn't kill her first.
>
> A few score years before that we were still crossing the Oceans, enslaving other
> nations and forcing them to work under the whip and yoke. Genetically just an eye
> blink ago really.
>
> 2 World wars and burgeoning capitalism led to our cultural revolution otherwise we
> could still be sitting alongside the Iranians wondering at all the effort they put
> into stoning when the rope or rifle is so much less hassle.
> Large parts of the Middle East simply haven't caught up yet, but we (being western
> society) certainly don't have a moral high ground to shout at them from, we've barely
> got the blood out of our own carpets.
>
> I agree its f**king mental/evil to our 21st Century eyes, but they'll catch up
> eventually.

alien_mame likes this

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Really? Some cultures are beyond help. new [Re: FatTrucker]
#242509 - 01/03/11 08:07 AM

Quote:

I agree its f**king mental/evil to our 21st Century eyes, but they'll catch up eventually.

At the cost of how many lives though? These archaic rules, laws and punishment in the name of God and/or religion are sickening. Who could ever carry on believing that their all loving, powerful and omniscient god and savior could support and approve such barbaric and primitive "justice" is beyond comprehension for me.

The somewhat modern human should be beyond this stone age mentality. History of our culture hundreds and thousands of years from now will seem as silly and primitive as the Norse, Roman, American Indian, Incan cultures we know of today and we will be known as no differently.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Really? Some cultures are beyond help. new [Re: Hizzout]
#242513 - 01/03/11 10:25 AM

> I agree its f**king mental/evil to our 21st Century eyes, but they'll catch up
> eventually.
>
> At the cost of how many lives though? These archaic rules, laws and punishment in the
> name of God and/or religion are sickening. Who could ever carry on believing that
> their all loving, powerful and omniscient god and savior could support and approve
> such barbaric and primitive "justice" is beyond comprehension for me.
>
> The somewhat modern human should be beyond this stone age mentality. History of our
> culture hundreds and thousands of years from now will seem as silly and primitive as
> the Norse, Roman, American Indian, Incan cultures we know of today and we will be
> known as no differently.

Your words remind me of this scene.

A film, but not far from reality. "God, protect me while i clean your territory from ungrateful bastards who don't praise you". Let's not forget typical family members with a strong belief in god who ask for the good will of a man expert in handling weapons solely for killing. Either an American soldier with a Bible or a Terrorist with a Qur'an, both are exactly the same in terms of barbaric primitive justice.

EMU-LMAO
EMU-LMAO owner/site-op
Reged: 07/14/07
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Really? Some cultures are beyond help. new [Re: GatKong]
#242532 - 01/03/11 07:13 PM

Human beings are dumb creatures. Don't take it personally, but their are so many historical examples on a never ending basis to simply prove the point. You just proved another example.

Don't know why some of us must mock other creatures. We ain't so bright at the end of the day.

Regards,
EMU-LMAO

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 371 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1845