MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Discs of Tron, Up/Down Rotary Control Project.
#242224 - 12/30/10 09:04 AM Attachment: e21_cutaway_2x.gif 41 KB (0 downloads)

How would this correspond to a Snap/"Cherry" switch with 3 connection points?

.s
| | |

^This is roughly how a 3 pronged mouse button switch looks from the outside. If all 3 points are needed to be recognized - how would a typical "cherry"/snap switch relate to that -in how the wires would be connected?

Why?

I'm planning on making a rotary controller and I'm going to have it move up and down - a'la Discs of Tron. So I figured I might as well use at least 2 of the mouse buttons for the up and down positions.

I thought of having some type of wheel roll over (what will be) the up and down switches since they're so small, and I'd like to have a 1/4" movement for up and also down.

But, if I can wire in some *larger snap switches (actually leaf switches would be the best) I believe that would be easier to work with in how something would come in contact with *=them.

Perhaps this would be better in the Arcade/PC hardware forum.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by T0M (12/31/10 10:31 AM)

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: 3 pronged mouse button switch new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#242226 - 12/30/10 10:25 AM

Looking here and having a reference to the guts of a mouse micro switch...

I'm betting this - from what I have marked in the pic;

3 Common/Ground

2 NO Terminal

1 NC Terminal

I hope that's correct.

LEVEL-4

keshbach1
Reged: 08/26/05
Send PM

Re: 3 pronged mouse button switch new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#242280 - 12/31/10 04:09 AM

The Snap/"Cherry" switch can only represent two states, not three states. This is basically just a SPDT (Single Pole, Dual Throw) switch.

If you are looking for a Discs of Tron spinner check out this site.

http://www.apachecontrols.com/

Kevin Eshbach

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: 3 pronged mouse button switch new [Re: keshbach1]
#242290 - 12/31/10 07:36 AM

> The Snap/"Cherry" switch can only represent two states, not three states. This is
> basically just a SPDT (Single Pole, Dual Throw) switch.
>
> If you are looking for a Discs of Tron spinner check out this site.
>
> http://www.apachecontrols.com/

Oh yes! I've seen that.

But I was wanting to make something myself. I'm kinda going by the instructions made by Nathan Strum (the Cheep Spinner ). But, as it stands now there are 2 things I'll be doing different.

First off, I went looking for parts today, but I'll need different parts anyway... but, that's okay. None of the places I looked had a set of Patio door rollers - which is good. Because when I woke up tonight I had the idea of using a roller blade wheel for the bearing. I should be able to drill some holes in the rubber parts of the wheel (either 2 or 4), put in some rods(?), and somewhere, somehow - incorporate some springs for the up/down movements. I'm also using a CD Coaster that has had it's metal/foil layer removed and cleaned off with some alcohol for the encoder wheel. I've got a sheet of paper with the 48 slots exacto-knifed out, but it would be better to make a stencil and spray paint it. As for the fly-wheel... I haven't gotten to that part yet.

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

what to do? & how? (Answer on Pg. 43) new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#242293 - 12/31/10 10:29 AM Attachment: roller.png 12 KB (0 downloads)

pic = 1000 words.

items in pic are not to scale.

"What to do" as in; how to wire this to the mouse board using the snap/"cherry" switches.... eta: If that can be done. Yet, I'm open to any other suggestions. I'd rather not use the smaller mouse button switches since I don't think they'd be reliable and they'd probably be a bit delicate...

Edit 1/1/11: The middle contact for the mouse button switch would be like the NO Terminal.

@ Amin/Mod: This could be moved to the Arcade/PC hardware forum.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by T0M (01/01/11 11:01 AM)

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

need me a roller-blade wheel... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#242305 - 12/31/10 06:13 PM

Edit-final. Screw it. I'll just get a patio door roller. There's a Lowe's that has them. So off I go.

It looks like the smallest inside diameter on the bearing that I can find is 7mm. That's a little over .25 inch.

ETA: Wait! What about the spacer/s?
EDit2: Axle diameter... Still 7mm...?

If it's got 4 or 8 spokes around the bearing - that would be great for inserting rods to guide it. I might be able to get away with 2 though.

I've got other things to worry about until then. Like wiring up an old controller/flight stick that I used to use with my Sega Master System. That'll give me direction, Fire and Deflect.

Edited by T0M (12/31/10 06:58 PM)

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2568