MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Any HVAC guys in the house?
#241947 - 12/26/10 05:32 PM

I have a Carrier Gas furnace, PAV58. Just put in the new thermostat, had to run a new common wire as the previous owners were not running one.

Seeing issues with the thermostat now where 24V is dropping out just before the heat cycle completes. It loses 24V for about 5 seconds, comes back right after. This is causing issues with temperature settings, as the thermostat doesn't have a battery backup.

I'm wondering if something energizing on the new thermostat (Fast TS21) that is causing the dropout, or it's the furnace and this behavior is what killed the last thermostat. I'm betting on the latter...

Any common issues on the control board to check?

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

scratch that. new [Re: italie]
#241957 - 12/26/10 07:57 PM

> I have a Carrier Gas furnace, PAV58. Just put in the new thermostat, had to run a new
> common wire as the previous owners were not running one.
>
> Seeing issues with the thermostat now where 24V is dropping out just before the heat
> cycle completes. It loses 24V for about 5 seconds, comes back right after. This is
> causing issues with temperature settings, as the thermostat doesn't have a battery
> backup.
>
> I'm wondering if something energizing on the new thermostat (Fast TS21) that is
> causing the dropout, or it's the furnace and this behavior is what killed the last
> thermostat. I'm betting on the latter...
>
> Any common issues on the control board to check?

Code 33 thrown on the furnace, looks like I've got an airflow issue that is throwing the furnace into failsafe.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: scratch that. new [Re: italie]
#241958 - 12/26/10 08:00 PM

Maybe it's time setting up blog like the one from Dad Hacker.

bodger319
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/23/06
Send PM

Re: Any HVAC guys in the house? new [Re: italie]
#241959 - 12/26/10 08:02 PM

I understand HVAC to mean High Voltage Alternating Current.

24 Volts is hardly High Voltage and the post indicates 24V DC that is being dragged down.

However it sounds like there is a ballast/pull-up resistor in place that is preventing a short-circuit and tracks/wires burning out. Lucky for you.
Also sounds like the 24V comes back when this "load" is switched off again.

Check what is being activated when you lose the 24V and look down that line for the fault.

Regards
Mark

Gor
Giver of truth.
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Any HVAC guys in the house? new [Re: bodger319]
#241960 - 12/26/10 08:59 PM

Heating, Ventilating, and Air Conditioning

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: scratch that. new [Re: italie]
#241962 - 12/26/10 09:24 PM Attachment: IMG_0567-2.jpg 302 KB (1 downloads)

> Code 33 thrown on the furnace, looks like I've got an airflow issue that is throwing
> the furnace into failsafe.

If it started acting up when you changed thermostats, I'd put the original back on the wall and see if it clears itself up.

I have a Carrier furnace that had a problem with the fan would power back up for about one second at the end of a cycle. I took the PCB out and replaced about 5 capacitors on it. It's been fine every since [knocks on wood!].

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1300