MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TheBigAmbulance
And STILL not ginger....
Reged: 01/03/08
Send PM

What the hell is "Microsoft Silverlight" and why would I care?
#241771 - 12/22/10 09:08 PM

I've been trying out Windows 7. It keeps prompting me about installing when I check updates. It says things about DRM and crap like that.

I'm scared!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: What the hell is "Microsoft Silverlight" and why would I care? new [Re: TheBigAmbulance]
#241772 - 12/22/10 09:52 PM

> I've been trying out Windows 7. It keeps prompting me about installing when I check
> updates. It says things about DRM and crap like that.
>
> I'm scared!

Basically, it's Microsoft's version of Flash.

It kinda sucks. But I don't think it does much of anything.

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: What the hell is "Microsoft Silverlight" and why would I care? new [Re: Foxhack]
#241775 - 12/22/10 10:04 PM

> > I've been trying out Windows 7. It keeps prompting me about installing when I check
> > updates. It says things about DRM and crap like that.
> >
> > I'm scared!
>
> Basically, it's Microsoft's version of Flash.
>
> It kinda sucks. But I don't think it does much of anything.

Yeah, its just another one of those web players - y'know like Flash, Java, Shockwave, Quicktime and DivX, if you never go to a website that uses it you will never need it but I'll be a pain if you suddenly need to use a site that does in a hurry.
I believe MS's own site are done in Silverlight more and more, so that's one reason
Another, question though, is what the heck is Adobe Air? yeah, another web player but why when they already have Flash and Shockwave? - What does it do that they don't?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: What the hell is "Microsoft Silverlight" and why would I care? new [Re: Fever]
#241777 - 12/22/10 10:27 PM

> I believe MS's own site are done in Silverlight more and more, so that's one reason

Silverlight's a fair amount easier to develop in than the alternatives since you can use your favorite .NET compatible language (C#, Visual Basic, IronPython, whatever) and the Visual Studio UI designer wizards. It's essentially the same as XNA, which all the Xbox 360 "Indie" games are written in, except with GUI support instead of DirectX hooks. That said, nobody has it installed and that means you're better off using Flash for sites you want a lot of people to see.

Silverlight's also the environment apps are written in for Windows Phone 7 (it also has XNA available for games).

> Another, question though, is what the heck is Adobe Air? yeah, another web player but
> why when they already have Flash and Shockwave? - What does it do that they don't?

Air's a layer on top of Flash that tries to make it a complete application platform. It's even clunkier than that sounds like, but RIM (the BlackBerry guys) are pretty much betting the company on it.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: What the hell is "Microsoft Silverlight" and why would I care? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#241778 - 12/22/10 11:21 PM

At least Silverlight doesn't keep adding extra crap to start up like the losers at Adobe do. I HATE that fucking Adobe download manager and Adobe Reader speed start. My computer opens PDFs fast enough dammit!

Hébus
MAME Addict[ed]
Reged: 06/05/07
Send PM

Re: What the hell is "Microsoft Silverlight" and why would I care? new [Re: Fever]
#241779 - 12/22/10 11:26 PM

> > > I've been trying out Windows 7. It keeps prompting me about installing when I
> check
> > > updates. It says things about DRM and crap like that.
> > >
> > > I'm scared!
> >
> > Basically, it's Microsoft's version of Flash.
> >
> > It kinda sucks. But I don't think it does much of anything.
>
> Yeah, its just another one of those web players - y'know like Flash, Java, Shockwave,
> Quicktime and DivX, if you never go to a website that uses it you will never need it
> but I'll be a pain if you suddenly need to use a site that does in a hurry.
> I believe MS's own site are done in Silverlight more and more, so that's one reason
> Another, question though, is what the heck is Adobe Air? yeah, another web player but
> why when they already have Flash and Shockwave? - What does it do that they don't?

Sorry fever, but Divx was 10-5 years ago another thing than "another one of those web players"

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Send PM

Re: What the hell is "Microsoft Silverlight" and why would I care? new [Re: Hébus]
#241780 - 12/23/10 12:21 AM

> > > > I've been trying out Windows 7. It keeps prompting me about installing when I
> > check
> > > > updates. It says things about DRM and crap like that.
> > > >
> > > > I'm scared!
> > >
> > > Basically, it's Microsoft's version of Flash.
> > >
> > > It kinda sucks. But I don't think it does much of anything.
> >
> > Yeah, its just another one of those web players - y'know like Flash, Java,
> Shockwave,
> > Quicktime and DivX, if you never go to a website that uses it you will never need
> it
> > but I'll be a pain if you suddenly need to use a site that does in a hurry.
> > I believe MS's own site are done in Silverlight more and more, so that's one reason
> > Another, question though, is what the heck is Adobe Air? yeah, another web player
> but
> > why when they already have Flash and Shockwave? - What does it do that they don't?
>
> Sorry fever, but Divx was 10-5 years ago another thing than "another one of those web
> players"

Depends if you want to illegally stream movies and TV shows or not - I do!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: What the hell is "Microsoft Silverlight" and why would I care? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#241784 - 12/23/10 02:37 AM

> > I believe MS's own site are done in Silverlight more and more, so that's one reason
>
> Silverlight's a fair amount easier to develop in than the alternatives since you can
> use your favorite .NET compatible language (C#, Visual Basic, IronPython, whatever)
> and the Visual Studio UI designer wizards. It's essentially the same as XNA, which
> all the Xbox 360 "Indie" games are written in, except with GUI support instead of
> DirectX hooks. That said, nobody has it installed and that means you're better off
> using Flash for sites you want a lot of people to see.
>
> Silverlight's also the environment apps are written in for Windows Phone 7 (it also
> has XNA available for games).
>
> > Another, question though, is what the heck is Adobe Air? yeah, another web player
> but
> > why when they already have Flash and Shockwave? - What does it do that they don't?
>
> Air's a layer on top of Flash that tries to make it a complete application platform.
> It's even clunkier than that sounds like, but RIM (the BlackBerry guys) are pretty
> much betting the company on it.

I've actually used a few AIR applications and they're okay, it's kinda crippled -on purpose- due to security issues.

It's great for downloading GOG.com's games, though!

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#241785 - 12/23/10 02:44 AM

An interesting article from Oct 2010...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-our-strategy-with-silverlight-has-shifted/7834

Quote:

So what’s a developer to make of Microsoft’s messaging (or lack thereof) about Silverlight at its premiere developer conference?

I asked Bob Muglia, the Microsoft President in charge of the company’s server and tools business, that very question and got what I consider to be the clearest answer yet about how Microsoft is evolving its Silverlight strategy.

“Silverlight is our development platform for Windows Phone,” he said. Silverlight also has some “sweet spots” in media and line-of-business applications, he said.

But when it comes to touting Silverlight as Microsoft’s vehicle for delivering a cross-platform runtime, “our strategy has shifted,” Muglia told me.

Silverlight will continue to be a cross-platform solution, working on a variety of operating system/browser platforms, going forward, he said. “But HTML is the only true cross platform solution for everything, including (Apple’s) iOS platform,” Muglia said.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

HIjackthis is your friend new [Re: redk9258]
#241811 - 12/23/10 02:21 PM

Take control over what runs at startup!

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: HIjackthis is your friend new [Re: URherenow]
#241818 - 12/23/10 05:55 PM

CCleaner works well.
Autoruns FTW! This can disable anything. Even remotely using Windows PE (run from Windows install disc, etc).

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Send PM

Re: HIjackthis is your friend new [Re: redk9258]
#241823 - 12/23/10 07:17 PM

> CCleaner works well.

CCleaner IS awesome, I've been using it at work for years to clean up weird 'missing dll' pop-ups left over from removed malware, to reduce registry bloat and to do cleans-up prior to creating WDS images
But I have notice a few little limitations and niggles - you can get it to deleted broken links in the start menu but if that then leaves empty sub-folders you still have to delete those by hand and it only seems to delete C:\users\[username]\local settings\temp and temporary internet settings for the currently logged in user
Does anyone know a CCLeaner beater?
cheers!

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

I remember using that before... new [Re: redk9258]
#241845 - 12/24/10 01:15 AM

doesn't it basically do the same thing as Hijackthis? Or is the difference that it shows stuff from other users?

With Hijackthis, I like the fact that after the initial run, you can hide everything that you know is legit so running it again only shows new things to either disable (or hide from the next run)

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 328 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2113