tb2000
Arcade and retro fan
Reged: 08/20/07
Loc: Somewhere in the UK
Send PM

Sega Hot Rod floppy disk
#241436 - 12/17/10 04:56 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can help with the following problem? A fellow member from another forum has got a 4 Player Sega Hot Rod machine but unfortunately the floppy disk and possibly also the floppy drive have both got major problems. He can't seem to get hold of a copy of the original disk (which apparently you can copy in an original machine) and has tried to make a disk from the 4 player img file in Mame but hasn't had any luck. Can anyone tell me how the img files of the floppys were made? Hopefully, with the right knowledge it might be possible to reverse the procedure and create a fresh working floppy disk from the image in Mame, but so far the img format and indeed the original disk format seems way different from standard pc specs/drives.

Many thanks,
Tony

tb2000
Arcade and retro fan
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: tb2000]
#241438 - 12/17/10 05:17 PM

> Hi,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone can help with the following problem? A fellow member from
> another forum has got a 4 Player Sega Hot Rod machine but unfortunately the floppy
> disk and possibly also the floppy drive have both got major problems. He can't seem
> to get hold of a copy of the original disk (which apparently you can copy in an
> original machine) and has tried to make a disk from the 4 player img file in Mame but
> hasn't had any luck. Can anyone tell me how the img files of the floppys were made?
> Hopefully, with the right knowledge it might be possible to reverse the procedure and
> create a fresh working floppy disk from the image in Mame, but so far the img format
> and indeed the original disk format seems way different from standard pc
> specs/drives.
>
> Many thanks,
> Tony

Actually i've just now been informed that the source holds the info! A programme called Anadisk apparently was used.

Thanks!

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#241555 - 12/19/10 01:17 AM

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone can help with the following problem? A fellow member from
> > another forum has got a 4 Player Sega Hot Rod machine but unfortunately the floppy
> > disk and possibly also the floppy drive have both got major problems. He can't seem
> > to get hold of a copy of the original disk (which apparently you can copy in an
> > original machine) and has tried to make a disk from the 4 player img file in Mame
> but
> > hasn't had any luck. Can anyone tell me how the img files of the floppys were made?
> > Hopefully, with the right knowledge it might be possible to reverse the procedure
> and
> > create a fresh working floppy disk from the image in Mame, but so far the img
> format
> > and indeed the original disk format seems way different from standard pc
> > specs/drives.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Tony
>
> Actually i've just now been informed that the source holds the info! A programme
> called Anadisk apparently was used.

Other software, like WinImage and MagicIso, should also be fine.

Moose

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: Moose]
#241567 - 12/19/10 05:14 AM

> Other software, like WinImage and MagicIso, should also be fine.

MagicIso is for CD images. This is a floppy.

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: R. Belmont]
#241593 - 12/19/10 12:55 PM

MagicISO can read and write floppy disk images,

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: Naoki]
#241615 - 12/20/10 04:17 AM

>>> Other software, like WinImage and MagicIso, should also be fine.

>>MagicIso is for CD images. This is a floppy.

> MagicISO can read and write floppy disk images,

Yes, MagicISO works great with floppies. Been using it for years.

** EDIT: This is assuming disk isn't copyprotected or formatted with some strange format (turns out the disk is). Of the methods mentioned, Anadisk is the best bet. If you can borrow a working disk from someone, then that opens up your options enormously - a copy board that bypasses the floppy controller and copies everything on the disk regardless of format / protection would be the best bet (quite common in the 1980's at least), perhaps a Catweasel could do it (never used one of these), but maybe an Amiga with the right copy software might work. Good luck !

Edited by Moose (12/22/10 01:28 AM)

Moose

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: Moose]
#241630 - 12/20/10 06:46 AM

> Yes, MagicISO works great with floppies. Been using it for years.

The Sega disks are not in any kind of format standard PC imaging software can read. Anadisk is *required*, and you have to run it in real DOS 6.22 in most cases to get a valid read.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: R. Belmont]
#241633 - 12/20/10 08:04 AM

Do you think CopyQM would work? (run under DOS, of course)

http://krick.3feetunder.com/copyqm/

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: krick]
#241639 - 12/20/10 10:26 AM

for reading them on a PC only Anadisk works. For the disks I dumped I used an old 486 and DOS 6.22. But a common clone won't work. Basically the more proprietary and specialized (i.e. shitty) the PC is (especially the floppy controller) the more luck you will have being able to read the disk.
alternatively I recall Charles made a program to read the S24 disks to check the existing dumps using a System 24 board hooked up like I did.... http://guru.mameworld.info/sega-security/sega_security.html
The program may write the disks too?

AeroCityMayor
Entity formerly known as alien_mame
Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Wakefield, West Yorks, UK.
Send PM

#241656 - 12/20/10 07:08 PM

> Actually i've just now been informed that the source holds the info! A programme
> called Anadisk apparently was used.
>
> Thanks!

http://petes-emulation.com/ftp/alien_mame/apps/anad206.zip

HTH

Cheers,

Ralph

Coherance of posts inversely proportional to Foster's consumption!!!

icecreamman
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/19/10
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: TheGuru]
#241670 - 12/20/10 09:56 PM

I bought a 4-player Hot Rod last week and tested it and it worked. Once i got it home it wasn't working, just flashing "disk or drive fault (seek error)". From digging around a bit this seems to be a common error. I sent a bunch of emails around and have been posting on forums trying to get some help. I'm guessing some of the same folks here have seen this, another thread about the Hot Rod floppy disk and drive
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=148728

Please let me know if anyone figures this issue out, I can't wait to race. If I figure anything out I'll update it here too

Thanks
Matt
[email protected]

tb2000
Arcade and retro fan
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: icecreamman]
#241675 - 12/21/10 01:10 AM

> I bought a 4-player Hot Rod last week and tested it and it worked. Once i got it home
> it wasn't working, just flashing "disk or drive fault (seek error)". From digging
> around a bit this seems to be a common error. I sent a bunch of emails around and
> have been posting on forums trying to get some help. I'm guessing some of the same
> folks here have seen this, another thread about the Hot Rod floppy disk and drive
> http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=148728
>
> Please let me know if anyone figures this issue out, I can't wait to race. If I
> figure anything out I'll update it here too
>
> Thanks
> Matt
> [email protected]

Thanks for all the replies everyone!

icecreamman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: TheGuru]
#241833 - 12/23/10 08:19 PM

I found a dude in the UK that had a 3-player floppy that I ordered. Should be here in a week. If it works in my 4-player machine I'll do my best to make some back ups. I'll be on the lookout for a 4-player version so please keep in touch if someone gets copies. Will update progress here soon
Matt

here's where I got the disk
http://retroclinic.com/

icecreamman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#346272 - 10/26/15 06:24 AM

back on the hunt for a way to get my 4 player hot rod machine going again. I think it's just the disc but not sure. Open to any ideas/tips/info people have.
Thanks
Matt
[email protected]

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#346304 - 10/27/15 02:50 AM

> > I bought a 4-player Hot Rod last week and tested it and it worked. Once i got it
> home
> > it wasn't working, just flashing "disk or drive fault (seek error)". From digging
> > around a bit this seems to be a common error. I sent a bunch of emails around and
> > have been posting on forums trying to get some help. I'm guessing some of the same
> > folks here have seen this, another thread about the Hot Rod floppy disk and drive
> > http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=148728
> >
> > Please let me know if anyone figures this issue out, I can't wait to race. If I
> > figure anything out I'll update it here too
> >
> > Thanks
> > Matt
> > [email protected]
>
> Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Anadisk user manual:

http://8bit-micro.com/anadisk-man.htm#Running

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Sune
Connected
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#346316 - 10/27/15 06:20 AM

> back on the hunt for a way to get my 4 player hot rod machine going again. I think
> it's just the disc but not sure. Open to any ideas/tips/info people have.

From reading this topic it would seem that writing the disk image back to floppy using anadisk on an old PC running DOS 6.22 is your best bet. Have you tried that yet and if so, how did it go?

S

Nemesis1207
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/06/14
Send PM

Re: Sega Hot Rod floppy disk new [Re: Sune]
#375313 - 04/02/18 04:44 PM

I know this thread is ancient, but it's still one of only a handful of threads on the web talking about this issue, and nobody has ever posted a solution publicly that I can see, so I'm mega-bumping it in the interests of posterity. If you have a Sega System 24 arcade PCB, and you want to know how to copy or backup the floppy disks from a PC, or if you want to be able to create a floppy from the MAME disk images, or re-create the MAME disk images from an original disk, I've put instructions up on the web here:
http://nemesis.exodusemulator.com/Arcade/System24/System24Disks.html

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 483 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4048