MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Extraordinary claims
#241175 - 12/14/10 05:47 PM

http://extraordinary-claims.com/

There is no sin except stupidity.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Nice! new [Re: DR]
#241178 - 12/14/10 05:53 PM

It's like the skeptics handbook. Nice link

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Nice! new [Re: Hizzout]
#241201 - 12/14/10 11:38 PM

> It's like the skeptics handbook. Nice link

I do too. But they seem to have forgotten abiogenesis and macro evolution. Did I miss a 2nd page?

Also, why didn't they include Evil -since I'm betting it doesn't exist to them either.

obligatory>

LEVEL-4

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: Nice! new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#241211 - 12/15/10 05:48 AM

> > It's like the skeptics handbook. Nice link
>
> I do too. But they seem to have forgotten abiogenesis and macro evolution. Did I miss
> a 2nd page?
>
> Also, why didn't they include Evil -since I'm betting it doesn't exist to them
> either.
>
>
> obligatory>

Throw the Big Bang, and the dinosaur extinction event, light behavior, quantum mechanics...

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Breetai
Semi-Lurker "full time drinker"
Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: Omaha
Send PM

Re: Nice! new [Re: igamabob]
#241213 - 12/15/10 05:56 AM

> > > It's like the skeptics handbook. Nice link
> >
> > I do too. But they seem to have forgotten abiogenesis and macro evolution. Did I
> miss
> > a 2nd page?
> >
> > Also, why didn't they include Evil -since I'm betting it doesn't exist to them
> > either.
> >
> >
> > obligatory>
>
> Throw the Big Bang, and the dinosaur extinction event, light behavior, quantum
> mechanics...

and the aquatic ape theory.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Nice! new [Re: Breetai]
#241218 - 12/15/10 07:15 AM

> > > > It's like the skeptics handbook. Nice link
> > >
> > > I do too. But they seem to have forgotten abiogenesis and macro evolution. Did I
> > miss
> > > a 2nd page?
> > >
> > > Also, why didn't they include Evil -since I'm betting it doesn't exist to them
> > > either.
> > >
> > >
> > > obligatory>
> >
> > Throw the Big Bang, and the dinosaur extinction event, light behavior, quantum
> > mechanics...
>
> and the aquatic ape theory.

and Global Warming, Over Population...

LEVEL-4

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Bah! new [Re: DR]
#241262 - 12/15/10 09:26 PM

It's a clever site, but they can't just keep repeating the same rational for every argument (that no evidence exists, therefore it's not true)... or can they? As the site develops and improves, I hope they do better research to support their findings with actual historic references for the origins of the belief they question.

I used to study the Bible as a text of history... and it was VERY eye opening.

For example:

The Virgin Birth... that website lists this entry as incomplete but it does state "According to the Christian Gospels, Jesus was conceived by the Holy Spirit, thus having no natural father." I hope they fix that in the end, since no ORIGINAL written gospel says this. When describing Mary, The original ancient writings use a word that has two meanings... one meaning a sexual virgin, and the other meaning ANY young woman (the closest modern equivalent would have been the word 'nubile'... which both means a marriageable young woman or an attractive young woman, depending on its context). In translation, the duality of this meaning is lost... and the choice of which translation to keep was a very conscious debate.

The Catholic Church's Council of Constantinople II in 553 AD debated this issue, and VOTED that the meaning to keep is a sexual virgin, but it was a very close vote, passing by only a margin of two votes. But it passed none the less, and so the Church, by majority vote, declared Canon Law that Mary was a sexual virgin, and not just a young woman, and added the text that, being a virgin, the father must therefore have been divine intervention, and therefore God, and anyone denying this is a heretic, leaving no room for further debate on the matter. The entire debate of the counsel was recorded, and can be reviewed. The push for her to be of divine conception was a political one, since the church up until that canon was divided between chastity and premarital promiscuity, the supporters of chastity feeling that it avoids the illegitimate origin of Jesus and the analysis of lineage for the blood-father, and the supporters of the other feeling that divine conception was too big of a leap of faith to expect followers to accept at the time, and would erode their following in ridicule. This decision actually divided the church into two followings, those who went along with the vote, and those who refused to accept it. Of course, those who refused to accept it were, by declaration, heretics, and thus persecuted into extinction. Religious teachers like to ignore this history, and just say the Gospels declare it so... but they didn't. Not originally. Not before 553 AD, when they were re-translated to be in accord with the new Canon Law... decided upon by the vote of men.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: Bah! new [Re: GatKong]
#241265 - 12/15/10 09:42 PM

Quote:

they can't just keep repeating the same rational for every argument (that no evidence exists, therefore it's not true)

Science or skeptics shouldn't be saying this...that it's not true since there is no evidence. They should instead be saying that unless evidence can be presented to prove the theory, then it can not be CONSIDERED true.

One of my favorite clips ever is of James Randi exposing a guy that claimed he could move objects with psychic power. What James did wasn't even scientific, it was just logical...and watch the guy squirm when he knows he's been had.

Now this is where religious arguments start to crumble. Religious people put the burden of proof on the non-believers, or in other words "Prove to me God DOESN't exist". You cannot prove ANYTHING to be true without evidence to support it. Sorry "faith" or "beliefs" won't convince anyone, at least in the scientific community.

I can tell you I BELIEVE or have FAITH that a walrus stole my car keys this morning, but without proof or some kind of evidence (signs that the walrus entered my house and took my keys) of said walrus I'm going to find it hard to convince anyone else the walrus is real.

This is also why people should not be allowed to use religious texts to try and prove their beliefs. Telling someone that "it's in the bible" doesn't make it true, and because the Bible was written and modified by several different people makes it even less credible IMO.

Have you ever heard of an account of a crime that had several witnesses? Each statement is different, even if a lot of the facts are consistent with each account. You'll still get witnesses who didn't have a good eye on the crime, or exaggerated to make it more dramatic. That makes the original, TRUE story of what happened more diluted.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1572