MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Phantom DJ
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/05/06
Send PM

Pacman pattern with 4 booeys
#241155 - 12/14/10 09:50 AM

During 2009, I developed many patterns for Pac-Man. Some have been used to set the world records for the fastest perfect pacman game.

Anyway, I was scrounging through my files and I found a pattern that I never bothered to upload. So I uppped it to youtube the other day, and here it is for your amusement. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA5ocSu2d0g

This pattern for Pac-Man's 9th key, discovered around September, 2009, features 4 "booeys", where Pac-Man passes unharmed through a ghost. It is also relatively fast, clocking in at 46 seconds. [Some of the fastest 9th key patterns run about 41 or 42 seconds.]

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

I dont get it [nt] new [Re: Phantom DJ]
#241156 - 12/14/10 10:45 AM

neat nonetheless.

LEVEL-4

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: I dont get it [nt] new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#241168 - 12/14/10 05:18 PM

It is a matter of timing. If pacman occupies a grid square next to a ghost, and in the next 1/60th of a second they trade grid squares (pass through each other), the program will not register a collision.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

Re: I dont get it [nt] new [Re: GatKong]
#241183 - 12/14/10 06:22 PM

> It is a matter of timing. If pacman occupies a grid square next to a ghost, and in
> the next 1/60th of a second they trade grid squares (pass through each other ), the
> program will not register a collision.

I found this fascinating when I first learned it.
Just the math behind pac/mspac is fun...
the methods of movement for each ghost, for instance.
But yeah, you still have to be pixel-perfect in
timing to pass through a ghost.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: I dont get it [nt] new [Re: yaggy]
#241186 - 12/14/10 08:08 PM

> > It is a matter of timing. If pacman occupies a grid square next to a ghost, and in
> > the next 1/60th of a second they trade grid squares (pass through each other ), the
> > program will not register a collision.
>
>
> I found this fascinating when I first learned it.
> Just the math behind pac/mspac is fun...
> the methods of movement for each ghost, for instance.
> But yeah, you still have to be pixel-perfect in
> timing to pass through a ghost.

What I don't get is how you develop patterns like these. Is it really just trial and error, or do you figure out and predict ghost behavior based on their algorithms? I can't even comprehend what kind of patience it would take either way, especially for a high level like this.

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: I dont get it [nt] new [Re: DMala]
#241188 - 12/14/10 08:40 PM

That's what always baffles me about Pac Man patterns, and even moreso, Billy Mitchell's perfect game. The amount of memorization seems astounding to me, but I guess some people have a knack for it.

I've never been good at Pac Man, or any maze games really. I'm lucky if I ever see level 3 on one go.

Phantom DJ
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/05/06
Send PM

Re: I dont get it [nt] new [Re: DMala]
#241200 - 12/14/10 11:37 PM

> What I don't get is how you develop patterns like these. Is it really just trial and
> error, or do you figure out and predict ghost behavior based on their algorithms? I
> can't even comprehend what kind of patience it would take either way, especially for
> a high level like this.

It's really trial and error. I just keep plugging away and trying to run through the ghosts until I get a booey. Using MAME save states helps a lot, too.

DJ

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 332 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2108