MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

A third garage update, without an update...
#240705 - 12/08/10 09:39 PM

More quick notes:

- Unless you will be using air nailers the whole way (which you won't), buy a GOOD framing hammer. I've been through three. Stay away from anything with an epoxy'd head, unless it's under $5 bucks. The heads WILL come loose, even on those nice $40 graphite models. Something one peice and nicely balanced is key. Also, choose a good weight. 22 oz. is decent if you are used to using tools, but keep in mind you'll be swinging it all day. The 25oz beasts may drive nice, but you'll be tired and sore after 10 nails.

- While it's best to put up joists (if using) with help, it can be done by one guy. Hurricaine ties make this pretty easy and aren't a bad idea anyway. Lean the joist on an angle from the top of one wall to the ground, and walk up the other end slowly.

- If your outer wall plywood will overhang your sill plate, make sure to put some flashing covering the sill and any stem wall concrete that will be covered. This will prevent moisture from wicking up the ply if it contacts the concrete. It's cheap, and will save you headache if you plan on being in the garage for some time.

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: A third garage update, without an update... new [Re: italie]
#240714 - 12/08/10 10:36 PM

Any thoughts given about collecting all this and publishing it? I mean with all this experience gained, you could basically make this a living...

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: A third garage update, without an update... new [Re: CrapBoardSoftware]
#240725 - 12/08/10 11:20 PM

> Any thoughts given about collecting all this and publishing it? I mean with all this
> experience gained, you could basically make this a living...

Maybe someday when I have more time. For now I'm just sharing tidbits for anyone here or random googlers to take advantage of. Hell of a project to plan, and it's always the little details that scare you most because nobody shares them. If you feel up to writing, go with it. Send me a copy when you are done...

Right now I'm just looking forward to relaxing in my garage around April, playing a nice game of Tron or Tapper while the Kegorator gets it's first tap...

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#240726 - 12/08/10 11:21 PM

> - If your outer wall plywood will overhang your sill plate, make sure to put some
> flashing covering the sill and any stem wall concrete that will be covered. This will
> prevent moisture from wicking up the ply if it contacts the concrete. It's cheap, and
> will save you headache if you plan on being in the garage for some time.

If I understand you correctly, this should be building code. The sheathing should overlap the rim joists and be securely fastened. This is probably the difference between a house that is damaged or wiped off of the map during a tornado. Of course the rim joists / sill need to be anchored to the foundation properly too. The ties for the roof trusses are a good idea too.

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: A third garage update, without an update... new [Re: redk9258]
#240733 - 12/09/10 12:44 AM

> > - If your outer wall plywood will overhang your sill plate, make sure to put some
> > flashing covering the sill and any stem wall concrete that will be covered. This
> will
> > prevent moisture from wicking up the ply if it contacts the concrete. It's cheap,
> and
> > will save you headache if you plan on being in the garage for some time.
>
>
> If I understand you correctly, this should be building code. The sheathing should
> overlap the rim joists and be securely fastened. This is probably the difference
> between a house that is damaged or wiped off of the map during a tornado. Of course
> the rim joists / sill need to be anchored to the foundation properly too. The ties
> for the roof trusses are a good idea too.

I haven't come across any code by me requiring flashing between stem wall and sheathing on an accessory structure, and surprisingly not many professionals I've talked to do it. From all I've seen, it ~should~ be done every time. No rim joists on a detached garage, just a PT 2x6 sill, and a 2x4 sole at the base of the studs...

Joists AND trusses will be tied, not code here but a damned good idea as well. Anchoring now is at least every 4ft, but I'll be shooting in a few more to make a "certain someone" happy....

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#240737 - 12/09/10 02:07 AM

Oh code varies from city to city, county to county, state to state. What is required in one place may be 'suggested' in another, and not even 'normal to do' in another. It is amazing how inconsistent the codes are.

It is for some things kind of scary.

4ft? Back when I was thinking of doing this sort of thing for a living I was told 4-8. Depending on length of the wall and thickness.

I think many people would be shocked on what really holds up a building. I like to describe it as an elaborate origami model held together by gravity.

And good call on the flashing. It is amazing how many 'pros' dont do the little things that help.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Thanks! new [Re: italie]
#240740 - 12/09/10 02:26 AM

> - While it's best to put up joists (if using) with help, it can be done by one guy.
> Hurricaine ties make this pretty easy and aren't a bad idea anyway. Lean the joist on
> an angle from the top of one wall to the ground, and walk up the other end slowly.
>

> - If your outer wall plywood will overhang your sill plate, make sure to put some
> flashing covering the sill and any stem wall concrete that will be covered. This will
> prevent moisture from wicking up the ply if it contacts the concrete. It's cheap, and
> will save you headache if you plan on being in the garage for some time.

pics or diagrams would be useful here... Not that you need to post them, just because I can't say I know exactly what you're talking about. But it sounds like a good idea. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

LEVEL-4

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Hurricane Ties new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#240748 - 12/09/10 03:29 AM Attachment: SAM_1347.JPG 1909 KB (1 downloads)

> > - While it's best to put up joists (if using) with help, it can be done by one guy.
> > Hurricaine ties make this pretty easy and aren't a bad idea anyway. Lean the joist
> on
> > an angle from the top of one wall to the ground, and walk up the other end slowly.
> >

(Poles are farther away than they appear....)

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Sill / Stem wall new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#240749 - 12/09/10 03:37 AM Attachment: SAM_1349msp.jpg 271 KB (1 downloads)

> > - If your outer wall plywood will overhang your sill plate, make sure to put some
> > flashing covering the sill and any stem wall concrete that will be covered. This
> will
> > prevent moisture from wicking up the ply if it contacts the concrete. It's cheap,
> and
> > will save you headache if you plan on being in the garage for some time.
>
> pics or diagrams would be useful here...

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#240751 - 12/09/10 03:44 AM

> I haven't come across any code by me requiring flashing between stem wall and
> sheathing on an accessory structure, and surprisingly not many professionals I've
> talked to do it. From all I've seen, it ~should~ be done every time. No rim joists on
> a detached garage, just a PT 2x6 sill, and a 2x4 sole at the base of the studs...
>
> Joists AND trusses will be tied, not code here but a damned good idea as well.
> Anchoring now is at least every 4ft, but I'll be shooting in a few more to make a
> "certain someone" happy....

Yeah, I wasn't thinking. I meant for building a house the sheathing should overlap the rim joists.

Little rant... I hate pressure treated wood. I used a 4x4 post to mount my mailbox on. Now it's twisted and leaning to the right. It must have come from a banana tree!

italieAdministrator
Send PM

Re: A third garage update, without an update... new [Re: redk9258]
#240752 - 12/09/10 03:54 AM

> Little rant... I hate pressure treated wood. I used a 4x4 post to mount my mailbox
> on. Now it's twisted and leaning to the right. It must have come from a banana tree!

Dude...I TOTALLY hear you on that. Whole 'nother chapter in a different project.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 104 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1280