Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Reged: 06/15/10
Loc: California, USA
Send PM

ClientServerMAME 0.8 & ClientServerMESS 0.8 Released, MAMEHub in alpha testing
#240049 - 12/01/10 01:58 AM

Hey all,

ClientServerMAME and ClientServerMESS 0.8 have been released. You can grab them here: https://github.com/MisterTea/ClientServerMAME/downloads .

0.8 is a complete rewrite from scratch, but the basic premise is the same: A desync-free, low latency multiplayer support of MAME and MESS emulators over the internet. The main difference between 0.7 and 0.8 is that 0.8 uses a peer-to-peer network architecture for distributing player inputs, and only uses the client-server architecture for correcting desyncs, so latency is much lower and desyncs are rare.

I've made a video showing ClientServerMESS running Super Mario Kart on an internet simulator, check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC1knk-cFaY

I'm working on a program called MAMEHub that will allow players to meet and arrange games. MAMEHub provides a GUI interface to CSMAME, so people will not have to mess with the command line parameters. MAMEHub also checks to see if you have correctly forwarded port 5805 to your PC, and will warn you if it is not correctly forwarded. MAMEHub is currently not ready for public release, but is in an alpha testing phase. If you wish to be part of the closed alpha test, please email me or send me a PM.

For more details and updates, check out my blog: http://10ghost.blogspot.com/

I try to squash as many bugs as possible but with so many emulators and roms, I'm sure there are bugs out there. If you find any, please post a comment here or on the blog.

Check out MAMEHub here: http://www.mamehub.info/

bdam
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/13/07
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 & ClientServerMESS 0.8 Released, MAMEHub in alpha testing new [Re: Digitalghost]
#240079 - 12/01/10 05:12 PM

Excellent work DG. Very exciting to see development of a GUI that puts players together.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 & ClientServerMESS 0.8 Released, MAMEHub in alpha testing new [Re: Digitalghost]
#240081 - 12/01/10 05:30 PM

> I'm working on a program called MAMEHub that will allow players to meet and arrange
> games. MAMEHub provides a GUI interface to CSMAME, so people will not have to mess
> with the command line parameters. MAMEHub also checks to see if you have correctly
> forwarded port 5805 to your PC, and will warn you if it is not correctly forwarded.
> MAMEHub is currently not ready for public release, but is in an alpha testing phase.
> If you wish to be part of the closed alpha test, please email me or send me a PM.

I'm assuming that this part will be closed-source? At this point, with no use of MAME code, you're under no requirement or recommendation to release your source for this GUI/add-on. Just curious.

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 & ClientServerMESS 0.8 Released, MAMEHub in alpha testing new [Re: Stiletto]
#240085 - 12/01/10 06:18 PM

> I'm assuming that this part will be closed-source? At this point, with no use of MAME
> code, you're under no requirement or recommendation to release your source for this
> GUI/add-on. Just curious.

Why would it be? (And why encourage him to move it in that direction?) It's bad enough this thing screws over non-Windows users (CSMAME/CSMESS itself works fine on osd/sdl platforms), why make it worse?

Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 & ClientServerMESS 0.8 Released, MAMEHub in alpha testing new [Re: Stiletto]
#240087 - 12/01/10 07:01 PM

> > I'm working on a program called MAMEHub that will allow players to meet and arrange
> > games. MAMEHub provides a GUI interface to CSMAME, so people will not have to mess
> > with the command line parameters. MAMEHub also checks to see if you have correctly
> > forwarded port 5805 to your PC, and will warn you if it is not correctly forwarded.
> > MAMEHub is currently not ready for public release, but is in an alpha testing
> phase.
> > If you wish to be part of the closed alpha test, please email me or send me a PM.
>
> I'm assuming that this part will be closed-source? At this point, with no use of MAME
> code, you're under no requirement or recommendation to release your source for this
> GUI/add-on. Just curious.
>
> - Stiletto

MAMEHub will not be closed-source, and neither will CSMAME 0.8, I just prefer to only put formal release source code on github and leave all of the development code on my machine. As soon as people have tested MAMEHub and it works well enough, I will post the source and anyone will be able to run their own MAMEHub server.

Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 & ClientServerMESS 0.8 Released, MAMEHub in alpha testing new [Re: R. Belmont]
#240088 - 12/01/10 07:03 PM

> > I'm assuming that this part will be closed-source? At this point, with no use of
> MAME
> > code, you're under no requirement or recommendation to release your source for this
> > GUI/add-on. Just curious.
>
> Why would it be? (And why encourage him to move it in that direction?) It's bad
> enough this thing screws over non-Windows users (CSMAME/CSMESS itself works fine on
> osd/sdl platforms), why make it worse?

Actually MAMEHub is written in WxWidgets so it works on non-windows computers just fine. It is also open source (see my other reply for details).

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#240091 - 12/01/10 07:42 PM

> Actually MAMEHub is written in WxWidgets so it works on non-windows computers just
> fine. It is also open source (see my other reply for details).

Thanks, that's great to hear!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#240092 - 12/01/10 07:58 PM

> > > I'm assuming that this part will be closed-source? At this point, with no use of
> > MAME
> > > code, you're under no requirement or recommendation to release your source for
> this
> > > GUI/add-on. Just curious.
> >
> > Why would it be? (And why encourage him to move it in that direction?) It's bad
> > enough this thing screws over non-Windows users (CSMAME/CSMESS itself works fine on
> > osd/sdl platforms), why make it worse?
>
> Actually MAMEHub is written in WxWidgets so it works on non-windows computers just
> fine. It is also open source (see my other reply for details).

Jeez, man.

Why are you so nice to us?

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 & ClientServerMESS 0.8 Released, MAMEHub in alpha testing new [Re: R. Belmont]
#240109 - 12/01/10 11:28 PM

> > I'm assuming that this part will be closed-source? At this point, with no use of
> MAME
> > code, you're under no requirement or recommendation to release your source for this
> > GUI/add-on. Just curious.
>
> Why would it be? (And why encourage him to move it in that direction?) It's bad
> enough this thing screws over non-Windows users (CSMAME/CSMESS itself works fine on
> osd/sdl platforms), why make it worse?

Double gamble, came through in the clinch.

Kinda with Kitsune, jaded sk3n3 instincts were kicking in.

- Stiletto

Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 & ClientServerMESS 0.8 Released, MAMEHub in alpha testing new [Re: Foxhack]
#240114 - 12/02/10 12:10 AM

>
> Jeez, man.
>
> Why are you so nice to us?

That's actually a really good question; I've been thinking about it since you asked it and I don't have an answer. I think part of it is the challenge and the work-to-benefit ratio (adding netplay to 100s of emulators in one shot is pretty sweet).

But if you want to reciprocate the niceness, I have a donation button on my blog. If you like CSMAME/CSMESS/MAMEHub, help a college student out and donate =)

Edited by Digitalghost (12/02/10 12:13 AM)

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#240119 - 12/02/10 01:21 AM

> > > I'm assuming that this part will be closed-source? At this point, with no use of
> > MAME
> > > code, you're under no requirement or recommendation to release your source for
> this
> > > GUI/add-on. Just curious.
> >
> > Why would it be? (And why encourage him to move it in that direction?) It's bad
> > enough this thing screws over non-Windows users (CSMAME/CSMESS itself works fine on
> > osd/sdl platforms), why make it worse?
>
> Double gamble, came through in the clinch.
>
> Kinda with Kitsune, jaded sk3n3 instincts were kicking in.
>
> - Stiletto

What jaded sk3k3 instincts?

I was being serious. I keep expecting some moron emuidiot to piss him off and have him vanish into the interwebs.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

You rock! new [Re: Digitalghost]
#240141 - 12/02/10 06:54 AM

> MAMEHub will not be closed-source, and neither will CSMAME 0.8, I just prefer to only
> put formal release source code on github and leave all of the development code on my
> machine. As soon as people have tested MAMEHub and it works well enough, I will post
> the source and anyone will be able to run their own MAMEHub server.

Thanks for staying open-source, even on this. This cheers me immensely.

- Stiletto

Outrun2006
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/15/07
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 & ClientServerMESS 0.8 Released, MAMEHub in alpha testing new [Re: Foxhack]
#240153 - 12/02/10 12:21 PM

> Jeez, man.
>
> Why are you so nice to us?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Because Digital Ghost is simply one of the coolest, most open-minded, and talented human beings I've ever encountered in the emulation community. And this program deserves to become a giant success.

I am hoping people donate if they have the means, because this is the one person that truly deserves it. To say I am elated by what DG has dropped in our hands with CS MAME would be an understatement.

mogli
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/26/08
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 new [Re: Digitalghost]
#240324 - 12/04/10 12:18 AM

Could this be used for two player games that are cooperative? Ie: Smash TV, Mario bros, Buster Bros, etc...

Consider it high comedy....sincere tragedy....whatever...don't take it personally.

The Culture

Digitalghost
MAMEHub Creator
Send PM

Re: ClientServerMAME 0.8 new [Re: mogli]
#240343 - 12/04/10 04:19 AM

> Could this be used for two player games that are cooperative? Ie: Smash TV, Mario
> bros, Buster Bros, etc...

Sure. I've played smashtv (the MAME version, not the SNES version) and it worked fine (I'm pretty sure the SNES version would work too BTW).

I'm still accepted participants for the MAMEHub alpha, send me a PM or email if you would like to participate.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Send PM

#240385 - 12/04/10 04:53 PM

> I was being serious. I keep expecting some moron emuidiot to piss him off and have
> him vanish into the interwebs.

He's definitely attracted the attention of emuidiots. It's coming

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 444 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2511