MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card?
#239911 - 11/28/10 09:08 PM

i always see just the bill amount - i never see the tip being deducted either at the time the original bill price gets charged, or afterward.

i learned everything i know from KC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card? new [Re: jopezu]
#239919 - 11/28/10 11:45 PM

The way it has been in my experience is they run your card and return it and then you put in the tip amount and they go type it in the machine and then the card is charged a couple of days later for the full amount including tip.

Laidback93
Little by little going insane
Loc: Modesto, CA
Send PM

Re: why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#239922 - 11/29/10 12:37 AM

> The way it has been in my experience is they run your card and return it and then you
> put in the tip amount and they go type it in the machine and then the card is charged
> a couple of days later for the full amount including tip.

I always wondered that too. I guess I should pay more attention to my checking account!

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

Re: why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card? new [Re: Smitdogg]
#239923 - 11/29/10 12:38 AM

> The way it has been in my experience is they run your card and return it and then you
> put in the tip amount and they go type it in the machine and then the card is charged
> a couple of days later for the full amount including tip.

in that case, i would see a credit, and subsequent recharge+tip for every time. i don't. i'll keep a close eye and see if any of them change - i don't think they do.

i learned everything i know from KC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card? new [Re: jopezu]
#239924 - 11/29/10 12:43 AM

No what I'm saying is their system is on a delay and when they add the tip the system is set to combine and only charge people once and that charge usually takes days before it actually goes through... Go grab a receipt and look it up. When it is scanned initially it just checks that you have enough in there, basically. It puts it in a "pending" lock.

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#239936 - 11/29/10 02:23 AM

Usually there is a hold put on funds until the actual charge goes through. I think the hold amount already has an amount figured inn for a tip, then gets rounded to the nearest dollar.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card? new [Re: redk9258]
#239937 - 11/29/10 02:27 AM

I don't think so. The Jewish community would burn down the credit card company headquarters if that were the case.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

#239944 - 11/29/10 04:26 AM

> in that case, i would see a credit, and subsequent recharge+tip for every time. i
> don't. i'll keep a close eye and see if any of them change - i don't think they do.

No, when the card is originally run through, there is a hold put on your account for the amount of the bill.

Your account has not been debited at this point; this is simply a hold.

The hold automatically disappears from your account in a day or two.

Usually a day after that, the actual charge hits your account, and the full money is debited from your account.

If you have online banking, go to a restaurant, and then check your account every day for five days, to see how the whole thing flows through.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Zephyr
Arkannoying
Loc: U.S.A.
Send PM

Re: why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card? new [Re: Mr. Do]
#239967 - 11/29/10 08:08 PM

Mr Do has it right.

When they run your card at a restaurnat, it only asks the card company if you have the money to pay for it. That puts a hold onto your account. After you sign the copy a server will enter the total (with the tip) into the machine. Some time later, usually at the end of the night, the machine will batch process all the credit cards for the day and tell the credit companies how much the offical amount it. This usually takes a day or two to process on your account.

The hold usually lasts for a few days or until the official amount comes through. If you use your check card, sometimes the bank will put an extra 20% hold to account for tipping. I used to get calls about that every week when I managed a restaurant. People would tip in cash, so the total would not update until the transaction was completed. But the hold on their account would be 20% higher than the bill. I can't tell you how many times I was accused of stealing. I would tell them to call the bank if they didn't believe me and that it would all be clear in 2 or 3 days.

1-2-3---4---5---6-7-8--9--10---11---12

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Did you ever tip your doctor? new [Re: jopezu]
#239977 - 11/29/10 10:46 PM Attachment: laughtrack.swf 71 KB (0 downloads)

That's why pediatricians make such good money doing circumcisions...

They make their base pay...

... plus tips.

*rimshot*

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card? new [Re: Zephyr]
#239979 - 11/29/10 11:12 PM

> But the hold on their account would be 20% higher than the bill. I can't
> tell you how many times I was accused of stealing. I would tell them to call the bank
> if they didn't believe me and that it would all be clear in 2 or 3 days.

Yes. Yes, yes, yes! We used to authorize some percent more on (hotel) guests credit cards for incidental charges, in case they make LD phone calls, or steal something, maybe get a little drunk & rowdy, etc. Then some days later we'd get called back, most would demand to know why there was so much more charged to their card, or why did we charge it "twice". We'd have to tell them the additional amount was only a hold and would reverse within so many days... And to call the bank that issued their card to have them explain it to them or to have them reverse the hold (& I don't know if that's possible or not, but as long as they get off our back -the better).

And Debit cards are the worst. Any authorization (not a CHARGE) will still show as a being deducted from their account.

A tip to anyone traveling and using a Debit card. Call your bank, let them know what you're going to be doing -and if it's possible- have them let you use your card as a credit card. Since Credit is borrowed on good faith. Debit is (essentially) subtracted. & If there are a number of places getting more authorized on your card that isn't really needed - then you risk running out of "credit" and not having any way to pay.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#240001 - 11/30/10 05:45 AM

> A tip to anyone traveling and using a Debit card. Call your bank, let them know what
> you're going to be doing -and if it's possible- have them let you use your card as a
> credit card. Since Credit is borrowed on good faith. Debit is (essentially)
> subtracted. & If there are a number of places getting more authorized on your card
> that isn't really needed - then you risk running out of "credit" and not having any
> way to pay.

Actually, the way to do this is to just use an actual credit card and then pay it off as soon as you get back, if you want to avoid interest charges.

I have a "Visa" debit card and any holds against it tie up funds in my account anyway. From what I understand, if you use the card as an actual debit card, i.e. you have to enter your PIN to complete the transaction, the holds are either shorter or non-existent. Personally, I'd rather not give out my PIN to anyone and everyone, though. I just use a credit card for stuff like gas and rack up a shitload of cashback points in the process.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: why do i never see restaurant tips coming off of my debit card? new [Re: Zephyr]
#240005 - 11/30/10 05:58 AM

> When they run your card at a restaurant, it only asks the card company if you have
> the money to pay for it. That puts a hold onto your account. After you sign the copy
> a server will enter the total (with the tip) into the machine. Some time later,
> usually at the end of the night, the machine will batch process all the credit cards
> for the day and tell the credit companies how much the official amount it. This
> usually takes a day or two to process on your account.

You have to watch them, too. It's happened to me at least once where a server didn't punch in the correct total. I had calculated the tip, then rounded the total up to the next dollar, so the tip was an odd amount and the total came out to an even number. When I looked at the actual charge, the server had punched in the dollar amount I had written but then added the change, too, basically rounding his tip up to the next dollar. I didn't do anything about it because it amounted to like 60 cents, but it definitely frosted my ass, especially where I was already tipping 20%+.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: another question... new [Re: jopezu]
#240014 - 11/30/10 09:09 AM Attachment: too stupid for the net.jpg 10 KB (1 downloads)

I know what you mean. But I always use my credit cards and pay them off on time and have noticed the same thing when I do that. I usually tip in cash because of tax purposes for my servers and that leads into my question. How are the taxes taken out of the tips done that way? Cash-divide & stash for the workers but, if it goes through the system... Does it get put on the form for the year through the employer? Or do they get taken out weekly? Or?

I may have to ask a few CPA friends of mine because I have no idea.

Also, if I do $1000 worth of work for someone, charge them $50+tax as profit... and get a $950 tip... will it fly? Technically it's not contracted work. Just a job WELL done.

Just wondering. I'm sure some of you will set it straight.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: another question... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#240023 - 11/30/10 04:53 PM

> Also, if I do $1000 worth of work for someone, charge them $50+tax as profit... and
> get a $950 tip... will it fly? Technically it's not contracted work. Just a job WELL
> done.
>
> Just wondering. I'm sure some of you will set it straight.

Tips are taxable income, so it doesn't matter what you call it.

What if a girl you pick up on the street gives you a blow job. Since you enjoyed it, you give her a $100 cash gift. It's called prostitution. In your example above, that makes you 95% whore!

jopezu
bread-train
Send PM

ok, it updated. [nt] old price gone, new price in. fantastique. new [Re: jopezu]
#240041 - 11/30/10 11:09 PM

> i always see just the bill amount - i never see the tip being deducted either at the
> time the original bill price gets charged, or afterward.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: another question... new [Re: redk9258]
#240155 - 12/02/10 01:15 PM

Damn...
You found out my true ID.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 211 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2948