MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

I've skipped anger and denial and went straight to depression
#239049 - 11/16/10 05:28 AM

Sigh...

I've been working on a book for about six months...

Yesterday I announced at dinner time to the family that it was done. A few more tweaks and I'd call the publisher and my cousin to let him know I had finished.

Today I opened a one page document to play with some text... when *click* instant loss of power. My little one year old boy had discovered the power-strip's off switch. My bad... I moved my writing computer a few days ago, and didn't straighten out all that crap wiring, which was just laying out on the floor for him to find.

Oh well, one page lost... what ever... so I scoop him up and get him ready for bed and tuck him in.

Back to the computer... which on power-up says it recovered my document for me... what would I like to name it. Well, I was working on my book, so the filename for the book I was writing of course, then [return].

NO WAIT! I shouldn't do that, in case the recovered file is no good. OMG, too late, its done.

Quick, open the file, make sure its a good copy...

WTF is this!?! Its the one page document I was dicking around with... it's not even the full book file?!? OH MY GOD!

Wait! Thankfully, my computer automatically saves back-ups to the publisher periodically, I'll get a recovered version, might have lost a few days work at most... so I go to open the back-up application... and... it doesn't exist.

NO!

My old writing computer was configured to make regular back-ups automatically to the publisher... but that one got stolen a few years ago when our house was robbed... and not until today did I think about that. I hadn't written anything in a few years, so no one else was paying attention to it either.

It's a done deal. Lost the whole thing. Six months of work.

Gatinha cried when I told her. I'm just numb. Depressed numb. Writing is a side-thing, so it's not the end of the world, but it is a big kick in the balls. FUCK is all I have to say. I'm sure the data is there, in the right hands, it can be recovered, I'm sure. Will look into it tomorrow. Bed.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: I've skipped anger and denial and went straight to depression new [Re: GatKong]
#239051 - 11/16/10 06:01 AM

Shut that PC off now. Download the portable version of Recuva and save it to a flash drive. Boot from a Windows PE disc or a Windows install disc and run Recuva from the command prompt. If it finds the file, save it to the flash drive.

Next, buy and install Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image and make backups regularly.

italieAdministrator
MAME owes italie many thank yous, hah
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: BoomTown
Send PM

Re: I've skipped anger and denial and went straight to depression new [Re: redk9258]
#239068 - 11/16/10 06:40 AM

> Shut that PC off now. Download the portable version of Recuva and save it to a flash
> drive. Boot from a Windows PE disc or a Windows install disc and run Recuva from the
> command prompt. If it finds the file, save it to the flash drive.
>
> Next, buy and install Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image and make backups regularly.

If that doesn't work, I've got a few programs I can float you as well.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

IT guys FTW! new [Re: GatKong]
#239106 - 11/16/10 05:12 PM

I had a "recovered file" document from a couple weeks ago that he found in less than 5 minutes.

If he wasn't a guy, I'd kiss him... "Hey Gatinha... can you come in here a sec..." lol!

There was a time in the 80's when "I" was the IT guy... times have really changed.

FrizzleFried
Reged: 09/28/06
Send PM

Re: I've skipped anger and denial and went straight to depression new [Re: italie]
#239120 - 11/16/10 09:05 PM

Dude... save the file TWICE under two different names...backup...SOMETHING.

The key to success is REDUNDANCY.

[url=http://www.idahogaragecade.com[/url] Idaho Garagecade (Updated 08/02/18)

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: I've skipped anger and denial and went straight to depression new [Re: FrizzleFried]
#239148 - 11/17/10 01:27 AM

> Dude... save the file TWICE under two different names...backup...SOMETHING.
>
>
> The key to success is REDUNDANCY.

I make daily or weekly backups of every project I can backup that often, e.g. less than one DVD. I have a special folder in my HDs where I store all sensitive and valuable data, and a script to make on-demand backups on a pendrive. Sometimes when I look at a project after some years of abandonment, I realize that the 100mb of data I saved for it were 90% backups of older versions of the project. BACK. UPS.

The key to success is stubbornnesslessly alsome-ish historical milestonery ^_^

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Send PM

Re: I've skipped anger and denial and went straight to depression new [Re: Pi]
#239152 - 11/17/10 04:20 AM

I know... totally newbie mistake to not back up for months on end... I was used to the automatic backups taking place in the background... lulled into a false sense of security.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: IT guys FTW! new [Re: GatKong]
#239154 - 11/17/10 04:29 AM

> I had a "recovered file" document from a couple weeks ago that he found in less than
> 5 minutes.
>
> If he wasn't a guy, I'd kiss him... "Hey Gatinha... can you come in here a sec..."
> lol!
>
> There was a time in the 80's when "I" was the IT guy... times have really changed.

Grats, Gat. Really glad you got it resolved; that story reads like it must have been a pretty heavy gut punch.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: I've skipped anger and denial and went straight to depression new [Re: Pi]
#239157 - 11/17/10 05:03 AM

> > Dude... save the file TWICE under two different names...backup...SOMETHING.
> >
> >
> > The key to success is REDUNDANCY.
>
> I make daily or weekly backups of every project I can backup that often,

Me too.

It's easy with hindsight to say this, but you would have to be an idiot not to be regularly backing up anything you value, such as your hard work.

Even if you can't be bothered using proper, free backup software, there's plenty of other options using tools you probably already have on your hard-drive.

For example, for something like a book, you could back it up to a ZIP file (or better yet, RAR with 5% redundancy) and keep a backup for every day. e.g. Book - 2010-11-17.rar. And then test these files to make sure they are OK, and then copy these files to USB drives, backup CDs, backup DVDs, or a mixture of all these, and then test the copied files to make sure all is OK. CDs, DVDs, USB drives are so cheap now, there's NO excuses !

A simple script / batch file that you run each day can take care of all this.

Make sure you regularly test your backups as well. Don't assume they are going to work.

There's no excuse, backup your work !

Moose

CrapBoardSoftware
My real name is banned dickhead
Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Wisconsin
Send PM

Re: IT guys FTW! new [Re: GatKong]
#239185 - 11/17/10 01:10 PM

> There was a time in the 80's when "I" was the IT guy... times have really changed.

You sure about that? oO

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 372 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1450