MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Scored me a 'Franklin' with just one 'Benjamin' on Craigslist
#238937 - 11/15/10 04:22 AM Attachment: PB140274.JPG 2689 KB (0 downloads)

Newest addition to my shop (getting chilly out there)... a wood burning stove. The decorative top comes off, and there's a cooking surface should I want some beans while toiling in my shop. A little soap and water, and some polish on the nickel trim, and it should be a pretty awesome little find for only $100.

Here's my Q... that little black piece of cast iron laying in front of it... wazzat?

I've looked everywhere on this stove... I can't figure out where that goes... maybe it doesn't even belong and some previous owner tossed it in inside and forgot about the piece... I dunno. It has decorative scroll-embossing so I imagine it goes somewhere visible...

Any tips on installing a stove pipe? I'll probably get a pro to do it... unless someone REALLY reassures me it's a do-it-yourselfer.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Scored me a 'Franklin' with just one 'Benjamin' on Craigslist new [Re: GatKong]
#238948 - 11/15/10 05:46 AM

> I've looked everywhere on this stove... I can't figure out where that goes... maybe
> it doesn't even belong and some previous owner tossed it in inside and forgot about
> the piece... I dunno. It has decorative scroll-embossing so I imagine it goes
> somewhere visible...

To me, it looks sort of like a decorative electrical outlet cover for a floor outlet.

- Stiletto

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Scored me a 'Franklin' with just one 'Benjamin' on Craigslist new [Re: Stiletto]
#238950 - 11/15/10 06:37 AM

Almost looks like it could be used to block that window.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

What does it say on the front? L - vec? new [Re: GatKong]
#238952 - 11/15/10 06:58 AM

FYI: I'm not an expert on old stoves. (btw: looks like you got a STEAL on that!)

It appears to be a Parlor stove.

I'm assuming that decorative chrome top comes off...? (Since you mentioned 'cooking beans' ) Because my thought was that the piece you're asking about was some type of hot plate, and another piece -like a handle that inserts into that small hole on the back of it- would go there so it could be moved around.

I'm also going to assume that the door is on the right side of that photo...? ...maybe a part for the damper (air in-take -- assuming the air in-take is from underneath)?

Just guessing, and I'm not even there to look at it.

Installing a chimney isn't that big of a deal. The hardest part is cutting the hole into the roof and ceiling... making sure they're lined up.

LEVEL-4

cyberdman
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/06
Send PM

Re: Scored me a 'Franklin' with just one 'Benjamin' on Craigslist new [Re: GatKong]
#238975 - 11/15/10 01:44 PM

To me it looks like it could be a door for ash cleanout, maybe it goes on the back or on the inside in a compartment below where the fire is.

cyberdman

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 407 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1185