View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

omgbill
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/10
Send PM

System 246 security dongles
#238314 - 11/08/10 10:22 AM

At the place of my brother's employment, someone recently broke into a Time Crisis 3 arcade machine running on a system 246 (rev unknown, I don't know how to check it) and removed and stole the security dongle. The game, which costs around $5000 used and is (as you likely know) no longer manufactured, would go to great waste unless a new security dongle can be located.

My question is, is there currently a way to purchase a security dongle for this game? A whole game/dongle set will be purchased if necessary. I have searched online for about 3 days and have so far come up empty handed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: System 246 security dongles new [Re: omgbill]
#238345 - 11/08/10 03:54 PM

You might have to watch eBay over time until one comes up or you could try Yahoo Japan and use a deputy service to bid for you but that would probably end up with you getting a key that runs it in Japanese.

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

Re: System 246 security dongles new [Re: Smitdogg]
#238392 - 11/09/10 12:18 AM

If you contact a Namco distributor they can probably sell you one. It's really a PS2 memory card with special data on it. A few years ago I looked into buying one for a Tekken 4 board but they wanted a huge amount for it.

TheGuru
MAMEDev Dumper
Reged: 06/13/04
Loc: Dumpville
Send PM

Re: System 246 security dongles new [Re: Reznor007]
#238441 - 11/09/10 11:35 AM

> If you contact a Namco distributor they can probably sell you one. It's really a PS2
> memory card with special data on it. A few years ago I looked into buying one for a
> Tekken 4 board but they wanted a huge amount for it.

it might look like a PS2 memory card but the chip inside is different and custom for system 246 only.
It can't be read/written in a PS2 either but the NAND ROM can be read with the correct equipment....
http://guru.mameworld.info/system246/

I have a few multiple regions of different games spare if anyone is interested in buying.... not Time Crisis 3 though.

omgbill
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/10
Send PM

Re: System 246 security dongles new [Re: TheGuru]
#238540 - 11/10/10 11:57 AM

That's actually one of the first sites I came across. If I had a blank 246 dongle or even one for a different game, I'd send it to the guy and pay him for a flash/reflash, but alas, I do not have one.

My brother informed me that his boss wanted me to search for one since he though buying straight from namco would be ridiculously expensive, as stated in a previous post, but it seems he has no option. He could always just throw it away and replace the $5000 machine >.>

I told my brother's boss he's pretty much f'd unless he's willing to shell out the bucks for namco's price, since I'm not going to lurk ebay/yahoo japan auctions for a year or two without at least being on a minimum wage payroll.

Anyway, thanks for everyones help. I didn't really think it would be possible to obtain a dongle within a reasonable price on a third-party market anyway, especially with a game that was first made 8 years ago.

Glad I could get a meaningful/professional answer from at least one site.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 274 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3688