MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

maxxxjaxxx
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/06/10
Send PM

bug???
#238188 - 11/06/10 08:25 AM

I have MAME ui32 1.4. I go to play and save uncompressed AVI file. It records the video but it comes out weird. Instead of a normal screen it is as if it was folded in 1/2. Almost like the first line wraps around to the left side of the screen a little. Then on each line a little more. By the time you get to the bottom of the screen, the left side is on the right side of the screeen.

I tried putting it into adobe premiere and it says it's 60 fps. I tried using virtual dub but it says it is missing info. Using adobe media encoder does not fix it. It'll still look the same.

Quicktime plays it back OK though (but i still can't edit it)

WMV player will not play it. I can see it in premiere but i think WMV player and virtual dub see it as a problem. Maybe it has to do with where a scan line ends. It mmight just go a little to far.

Has anyone else had this problem? I would like to record videos of MAME games.

I have tried using fraps but the audio is all messed up. kind of like it's only 1/4 there. The video is fine.

Edited by maxxxjaxxx (11/06/10 08:32 AM)

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: bug??? new [Re: maxxxjaxxx]
#238204 - 11/06/10 05:04 PM

The .avi the MAME outputs is fully uncompressed. You need to encode it with a particular codec (mpeg2, mpeg4, xvid, etc).
Often, video players cannot keep up with playing uncompressed .avi's due to the hardware limitations such as the hard drive transfer speed.

Super is an example of a program you can use to process these uncompressed files.

maxxxjaxxx
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: bug??? new [Re: Tafoid]
#238206 - 11/06/10 05:23 PM

I'll give this program a shot, but as a video editor for TV stations I do understand compression. If it was just compression, it'd be slow but the Adobe products show them as torn. This looks like the end of line wraps around to the left side of the screen. Almost like the vertical hold is wrong. This would indicate a problem with the encoding.

using an uncompressed avi is good. It'll be easier to put into a editing program as you do not use compressed footage editing.

maxxxjaxxx
MAME Fan
Send PM

#238210 - 11/06/10 06:18 PM

OK I tried using super. The video comes out black. the works fine but it does not show any video. This would kind of support my theory that the problem is MAME UI32 is encoding the AVI files incorrectly.

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#238214 - 11/06/10 07:48 PM

Myself, I haven't had really any experience with the process other than testing. Someone else who has had experience would be better to answer your questions specifically.

Is it a certain game or set of games (driver) which is causing the bad video? Have you tried other games to see if the issue also shows there?

Just in my limited testing, the .avi seem ok here using the normal command-line version of 0.140.

maxxxjaxxx
MAME Fan
Send PM

#238219 - 11/06/10 08:34 PM

I tested it out with serveral games and so forth and it still has the problem. I am pretty sure it's encoded wrong.

There is a workaround though. I recorded the AVI of the game from within mame ui32. Then I opened up the .AVI file with quicktime pro (had to buy that POS). i then exported it out as a .DV file. I opened premiere and imported the .DV file and it worked.

I'm still trying to get it so it's not blurry and not strethed out. It would be nice if MAME ui32 just encoded it so there would be o problem (30fps would be nice too at 720x480)

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#238243 - 11/07/10 05:22 AM

> OK I tried using super. The video comes out black. the works fine but it does not
> show any video. This would kind of support my theory that the problem is MAME UI32 is
> encoding the AVI files incorrectly.

I've used Super a great deal (as well as other tools like Xilisoft MP4 Converter, Blaze Media Pro, Camtasia, ConvertXtoDVD, and many others).

Super is by far the most twitchy / temperamental - but fair enough to, it is free and still in development.

The trick with Super is to play around with the settings - makes sure you have the "encode video" and "encode audio" checkboxes checked. Also, often Super cannot determine the input video's format, resolution, frame rate, bit rate, etc, so often you need to set these settings manually.

I'd bet that Super could not recognise the input video format - and that's why it's coming out black. It's happened to me in the past.

Super is also tricky to use - there's many settings that are available (start time, encoded length, etc), but getting to them isn't obvious - you have really got to explore and have a good play around and do a lot of trial and error tests to get it to do what you want.

Sorry I'm not being less vague or more helpful here - Super is on my other machine, so don't have it here in front of me to say more.

If you need more information, please let me know and I'll do up some screen shots / help to find your way around. (There may even be a guide on Super's web site somewhere ?)

Oh, BTW, if you need to convert any videos to DVD format, I *HIGHLY* recommend ConvertXtoDVD - you just drag and drop all the videos you want on the DVD into the main window, add / edit the menus you want, and then click START. It could not be easier and it handled every single video I've thrown at it so far (lots of variations of each of these: AVI, WMV, MOV, MP4, MPG, FLV, etc, etc, etc). An amazing program and one of the few I'd give a 10 / 10 rating. It's commercial but well worth the price.

Moose

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

#238244 - 11/07/10 05:27 AM

> There is a workaround though. I recorded the AVI of the game from within mame ui32.
> Then I opened up the .AVI file with quicktime pro (had to buy that POS).

I made the mistake of buying Quicktime Pro once - because I needed a multi-part MOV file converted to a single AVI (or even MOV). The MOV was strange - the audio and video were in separate files for each part. However, the sales staff promised it would work.

It didn't. It could not even convert the multi-part MOV to multi-part AVI. I tried everything (we are going back well over 5 years here).

No refunds !! And the turds had a million excuses why not.

Quicktime: a rotten, evil POS.

Moose

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#238252 - 11/07/10 08:00 AM

No problems here. Ran MAME 0.140 with -aviwrite, let it record 465 frames of Pac-Man and hit Escape. Opened up the file perfectly with my trusty old VirtualDub 1.8.3.

Also, I just tried Tekken Tag [tektagta] with -aviwrite with no trouble either. 988 frames came to just under 900MB, as the maximum resolution of PSX hardware is 640x480 (MAME will always save the maximum resolution so as to not lose information if the screen does change sizes - PSX type games can choose a 256, 320, 368, 512 or 640 pixel width at 240p or 480i).

I would not recommend using Fraps or other similar programs to record anything when it comes to emulators, you'll just lag up miserably, have hundreds of repeated frames, the sound will stuttuttuttutter, or it will be like a slideshow if you have auto frame skip turned on.

Captain Pugwash
Ex-MameUIDev
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Black Pig
Send PM

#238253 - 11/07/10 10:25 AM

> I tested it out with serveral games and so forth and it still has the problem. I am
> pretty sure it's encoded wrong.
>
> There is a workaround though. I recorded the AVI of the game from within mame ui32.
> Then I opened up the .AVI file with quicktime pro (had to buy that POS). i then
> exported it out as a .DV file. I opened premiere and imported the .DV file and it
> worked.

So it is NOT a problem with MAME (as using the right tools you were able to process the avi...).

>
> I'm still trying to get it so it's not blurry and not strethed out. It would be nice
> if MAME ui32 just encoded it so there would be o problem (30fps would be nice too at
> 720x480)

Since MameUI32 does not implement the video saving itself (it simply sets a flag for the core to do it), I don't see this happening as long as that is not implemented in the core.

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 458 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2453