MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Naoki
Reged: 11/10/09
Loc: United Kingdom
Send PM

Anyone know how to use a TV Card?
#237357 - 10/25/10 08:22 PM

So, got given a Hauppauge PVR PCI 500 today, and after a while of getting the drivers to install, I cant get VLC to show any image from either the RCA jacks or the RF input. It's geting on my nerves since I've really want to move to using my LCD instead of my old TV.

Any tips?

----
On a quest for Digital 573 and Dancing Stage EuroMix 2

By gods I've found it!

Fever
Reformed Sk3n3 Quitter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Britland
Send PM

Re: Anyone know how to use a TV Card? new [Re: Naoki]
#237379 - 10/26/10 01:00 AM

> So, got given a Hauppauge PVR PCI 500 today, and after a while of getting the drivers
> to install, I cant get VLC to show any image from either the RCA jacks or the RF
> input. It's geting on my nerves since I've really want to move to using my LCD
> instead of my old TV.
>
> Any tips?

If you're in the UK and you want to watch TV, just use www.tvcatchup.com, despite the name it shows what's on TV right now - all FreeView channels
Stuff TV cards! Use the internet!
Edit - I couldn't be arsed to hyper link that address and the board software has automatically done it for me! Sweet! Much more laziness from me from now on!

Edited by Fever (10/26/10 01:02 AM)

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

#237382 - 10/26/10 01:15 AM

Have you been to http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/support_main_pvr.html and clicked on the link for the WinTV-PVR-500?

I've used a WinTV-HVR-950 USB device with the Hauppauge WinTV software, but not VLC, so I don't know if there's a special trick to get it to work.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Anyone know how to use a TV Card? new [Re: Fever]
#237383 - 10/26/10 01:15 AM

But that destroys the purpose of having a TV card. Also, I'm watching my bandwidth aswell. Thridly, the internet had limits, like how will I play my PS1/2, GameCube or other consoles? XP

But yeah, I know about TV Internet, which is why I'm gonna use SkyPlayer. But I want to know how I can use my card for this.

----

By gods I've found it!

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Anyone know how to use a TV Card? new [Re: Gemini]
#237384 - 10/26/10 01:17 AM

Yes, however, the Media Centre stuff will be useless considering XP Pro doesn't ship with MCE. But I plan to later increase my harddisk and install WinXP MCE later, but I want to know how I can use VLC for it, or, any other media player.

----

By gods I've found it!

Gemini
Loc: Georgia
Send PM

#237387 - 10/26/10 02:01 AM

Have you tried Hauppauge's own WinTV software?

In regard to the WinTV software,
"NOTE: If you have a PVR-500, you would use the same software (the PVR-500 is essentially two PVR-150s on the same card)"

Also, this was in one of the FAQs:

Third party capture applications not supported
The WinTV-PVR-150 records directly to MPEG using onboard Hardware encoders. Most third party capture applications are looking to attach to a card or driver that supports uncompressed video recordings. Like AVI files. These programs cannot capture video directly using the PVR-150. (ie. MovieMaker, Media Encoder, Pinnacle Studio, Adobe Premiere)
You can, however, capture the video using the WInTV2000 application an then import the MPEG video files into the 3rd party program for editing or recording onto DVD.
NOTE: These 3rd party programs do work: SageTV, BeyondTV and Microsoft's Media Center.

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Anyone know how to use a TV Card? new [Re: Gemini]
#237389 - 10/26/10 02:21 AM Attachment: Untitled.png 358 KB (1 downloads)

> Have you tried Hauppauge's own WinTV software?
>
> In regard to the WinTV software,
> "NOTE: If you have a PVR-500, you would use the same software (the PVR-500 is
> essentially two PVR-150s on the same card)"

No, I haven't the harddisk space for it, neither can I use it due to me only receiving the card, not the WinTV Disc. It says on the site that you need the disc to continue.

> Also, this was in one of the FAQs:
>
> Third party capture applications not supported
> The WinTV-PVR-150 records directly to MPEG using onboard Hardware encoders. Most
> third party capture applications are looking to attach to a card or driver that
> supports uncompressed video recordings. Like AVI files. These programs cannot capture
> video directly using the PVR-150. (ie. MovieMaker, Media Encoder, Pinnacle Studio,
> Adobe Premiere)
> You can, however, capture the video using the WInTV2000 application an then import
> the MPEG video files into the 3rd party program for editing or recording onto DVD.
> NOTE: These 3rd party programs do work: SageTV, BeyondTV and Microsoft's Media
> Center.

Hmm... Messing about with VLC's settings I've discovered it's using the RF port for some reason, but changing the input pin setting is helping, I'm not getting static anymore.

Also, VLC can nativly decode MPEG formats

EDIT: After messing around with the video pins, I got this! Now to mess around with the Audio pins

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by Naoki (10/26/10 02:32 AM)

----

By gods I've found it!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#237396 - 10/26/10 04:36 AM

> > Have you tried Hauppauge's own WinTV software?
> >
> > In regard to the WinTV software,
> > "NOTE: If you have a PVR-500, you would use the same software (the PVR-500 is
> > essentially two PVR-150s on the same card)"
>
> No, I haven't the harddisk space for it, neither can I use it due to me only
> receiving the card, not the WinTV Disc. It says on the site that you need the disc to
> continue.
>
> > Also, this was in one of the FAQs:
> >
> > Third party capture applications not supported
> > The WinTV-PVR-150 records directly to MPEG using onboard Hardware encoders. Most
> > third party capture applications are looking to attach to a card or driver that
> > supports uncompressed video recordings. Like AVI files. These programs cannot
> capture
> > video directly using the PVR-150. (ie. MovieMaker, Media Encoder, Pinnacle Studio,
> > Adobe Premiere)
> > You can, however, capture the video using the WInTV2000 application an then import
> > the MPEG video files into the 3rd party program for editing or recording onto DVD.
> > NOTE: These 3rd party programs do work: SageTV, BeyondTV and Microsoft's Media
> > Center.
>
> Hmm... Messing about with VLC's settings I've discovered it's using the RF port for
> some reason, but changing the input pin setting is helping, I'm not getting static
> anymore.
>
> Also, VLC can nativly decode MPEG formats
>
> EDIT: After messing around with the video pins, I got this! Now to mess around with
> the Audio pins

Ew, WTF are you using, RF? :P

Naoki
Send PM

Re: Anyone know how to use a TV Card? new [Re: Foxhack]
#237401 - 10/26/10 05:08 AM

I've managed to figure it out now.

Pin 0+1 Are RF Channels
Pin 2 is S-Video
Pin 3 is Composite
Pin 4 is S-Video*
Pin 5 is Composite*

*I've found out these are for use if you have the extra AV cable connected to the card's internal headers, but my PVR-500 has two. Begs the qustion, if the heards can only support 1 additional S-Video+Composite+RCA Audio, then how do the two tuners get both RF and Composite? I'll bet I'll find out they're actually both wired to the same connectors..

----

By gods I've found it!

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

#237630 - 10/29/10 02:46 PM

In relation to the PVR software bit I use GBPVR its free and pretty good. I've got it in my living room for watching stuff I've downloaded, music and for MAME and loads of other emus oh and firefox for i-player etc. I had a tv tuner card running on it too but my PC is a bit slow and I dont need it in the living room on top of BT-Vision.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 123 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1560