MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DR
Skeptical Linkbot
Reged: 04/05/07
Loc: UK
Send PM

Basic Computer Games - Small Basic Edition
#237316 - 10/25/10 02:04 PM

http://computerscienceforkids.com/SmallBasicComputerGames.aspx

There is no sin except stupidity.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Basic Computer Games - Small Basic Edition new [Re: DR]
#237366 - 10/25/10 09:29 PM

> http://computerscienceforkids.com/SmallBasicComputerGames.aspx

Wow, that brings back memories! I'm sure a copy of the old "for microcomputers" version of that book is kicking around my parents' house, if they haven't thrown it out...

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: Basic Computer Games - Small Basic Edition new [Re: AWJ]
#237393 - 10/26/10 03:06 AM

> > http://computerscienceforkids.com/SmallBasicComputerGames.aspx
>
> Wow, that brings back memories! I'm sure a copy of the old "for microcomputers"
> version of that book is kicking around my parents' house, if they haven't thrown it
> out...

No kidding! I had forgotten all about that book - the robot drawings bring it all crashing back. I think I had the most fun with the included version of Eliza, and then there was a kind of a Star Trekish torpedo targeting and launching simulator that was also pretty good. I learned a ton from that book. Ah, the good 'ol days.

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Basic Computer Games - Small Basic Edition new [Re: DR]
#237423 - 10/26/10 12:15 PM

> http://computerscienceforkids.com/SmallBasicComputerGames.aspx

Got the original book right here on my shelf. Nice to see the remake. Hope the code design has improved - not the same old hideous spaghetti mess that was in the original books.

Update: It's improved a lot, but still GOTO's everywhere.

Edited by Moose (10/26/10 12:26 PM)

Moose

CompSciForKids
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/27/10
Send PM

Re: Basic Computer Games - Small Basic Edition new [Re: jeremymtc]
#239839 - 11/27/10 08:04 AM

Thanks for noticing our new Basic Computer Games:Small Basic Edition E-Book.

David Ahl and George Beker (the robot illustrator) was gracious enough to allow us to republish this classic book that many of us old programmers cut our programming teeth on. David Ahl came out of retirement long enough to update the Forward and George illustrated 5 new robot illustrations for the 2010 edition. We did clean up the source code so it would work correctly in Microsoft Small Basic but we left much of the GOTO logic alone so the games would play just like you remembered them including Super Star Trek and Eliza. Super Star Trek was the hardest and most rewarding game to port. We are starting a Basic Computer Games: Small Basic Programming Competition in January if you would like to help us get rid of all those pesky GOTO statements and add multimedia graphics and sound to your favorite classics. The best multimedia upgrade for each game will appear in our next edition of the book for kids.

You may be interested in knowing that we also republished David Ahl's Basic Computer Adventures using Microsoft Small Basic and we are conducting a similar Small Basic Programming Competition. Come join in the fun!

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: Basic Computer Games - Small Basic Edition new [Re: CompSciForKids]
#240673 - 12/08/10 01:10 PM

> Thanks for noticing our new Basic Computer Games:Small Basic Edition E-Book.
>
>
> David Ahl and George Beker (the robot illustrator) was gracious enough to allow us to
> republish this classic book that many of us old programmers cut our programming teeth
> on. David Ahl came out of retirement long enough to update the Forward and George
> illustrated 5 new robot illustrations for the 2010 edition. We did clean up the
> source code so it would work correctly in Microsoft Small Basic but we left much of
> the GOTO logic alone so the games would play just like you remembered them including
> Super Star Trek and Eliza. Super Star Trek was the hardest and most rewarding game to
> port. We are starting a Basic Computer Games: Small Basic Programming Competition in
> January if you would like to help us get rid of all those pesky GOTO statements and
> add multimedia graphics and sound to your favorite classics. The best multimedia
> upgrade for each game will appear in our next edition of the book for kids.
>
> You may be interested in knowing that we also republished David Ahl's Basic Computer
> Adventures using Microsoft Small Basic and we are conducting a similar Small Basic
> Programming Competition. Come join in the fun!

That sure does sound like fun. Best of luck with the projects. If I get some spare time, I'll streamline and submit a couple of the basic progs - sans the GOTO's

Moose

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 102 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2554