Pages: 1

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

You're stealing it wrong: 30 years of Inter-Pirate Battles
#236193 - 10/13/10 03:11 AM

"Historian Jason Scott walks through the many-years story of software piracy and touches on the tired debates before going into a completely different direction - the interesting, informative, hilarious and occasionally obscene world of inter-pirate-group battles. A multi-media extravaganza of threats, CSI-level accusations and evidence trails, decades of insider lingo, and demonstrations of how the more things change, the more they still have to keep their ratios up."

Very entertaining! Highly recommended if you have an hour or so of free time to watch and listen.
If you had an Apple II back in the day you're definitely gonna love it.

http://vimeo.com/15400820

Oh and btw, NSFW!
S

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

+Street Cred new [Re: Sune]
#236197 - 10/13/10 04:32 AM Attachment: dl.jpg 97 KB (1 downloads)

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: You're stealing it wrong: 30 years of Inter-Pirate Battles new [Re: Sune]
#236198 - 10/13/10 04:59 AM

> "Historian ...
>[snip]
> If you had an Apple II back in the day you're definitely gonna love it.

You had me at "Historian", but that last sentence *really* capped it off

Moose

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: +Street Cred new [Re: Smitdogg]
#236205 - 10/13/10 08:58 AM

I love that tired argument.

"Copying software illegally its like stealing a car in real life, if you want a Ferrari you get to pay", it's not. When you steal you private deny someone else from owning something they already brought, we all know that doesn't happen unless you also took the license. Contrary to popular belief, when you duplicate software illegally you private deprive yourself from owning benefits people who buy have (support, online features, updates, etc.).

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

you private what? (nt) new [Re: BIOS-D]
#236208 - 10/13/10 11:07 AM

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: you private what? (nt) new [Re: URherenow]
#236216 - 10/13/10 03:11 PM

I knew i could be using a non existent english verb. Sorry about that.

The right term should be "deprive" or "deny".

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Re: +Street Cred new [Re: BIOS-D]
#236218 - 10/13/10 03:37 PM

Quote:

when you duplicate software illegally you private deprive yourself from owning benefits people who buy have (support, online features, updates, etc.)

You also "deprive" yourself of stupid DRM, and other hoops you have to jump through to get, and keep the software running.

I'm not advocating piracy per se but it is funny how the music, movie, and software industry treats their paying customers like criminals anyway.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: +Street Cred new [Re: BIOS-D]
#236220 - 10/13/10 03:48 PM

> I love that tired argument.
>
> "Copying software illegally its like stealing a car in real life, if you want a
> Ferrari you get to pay", it's not. When you steal you private someone else from
> owning something they already brought, we all know that doesn't happen unless you
> also took the license. Contrary to popular belief, when you duplicate software
> illegally you private yourself from owning benefits people who buy have (support,
> online features, updates, etc.).

How is it a tired old argument? We can whitewash it and split hairs all we like. We are getting something for nothing that has a value and the owner does not want to give it away.

I like the car argument too. But think about it for a min. If you could perfectly clone a car? Would you? Most people would. 'why not it is not hurting anyone'. Who wouldnt like to cruse around in a mid 60s corvette? Those mid 60s corevettes are expensive because the good ones are rare. So now if say everyone had one would it be worth as much or be as cool to cruse around in? So the guy who spent say 100k on a rare car would suddenly have a car worth its weight in scrap.

You can see the same sorts of things in MAME. The rare boards are worth a bunch. The common boards are worth very little. I would be willing to bet games that are in MAME detract from the value of the real boards. You probably even see people hording them for that very reason.

Value is derived from scarcity and demand. That is econ 101 stuff. People try to play with the definitions of value, scarcity, and demand to justify what they are doing. Such as 'you are buying support'. Which is semi bogus. I buy software to use it not for support. Most of the time software is Caveat emptor anyway. For example with windows, a fairly common bit of software. You want support from MS for that 300 dollar ultimate edition you bought? 1-2 support tickets for free then 250 a pop. Support may be a factor in why I buy something. However, it is rarely the reason I buy something.

Another good example of scarcity. I bought a copy of the movie "They Live" on DVD when it first came out on DVD. 20 bucks from best buy. 3 years later it was going for 150 a pop on ebay. Why? It was rare. The movie is pure cheese. But it was fairly scarce and out of print so had a high second hand market price. Then the reissue came out. 10 bucks today on ebay same dvd and arguably the worse copy. If I had bought that thing at 150 I would be rather cheesed off...

Btw that dudes site is a blast tons of stuff on there I had totally forgotten about.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Loc: Ohio
Send PM

Re: +Street Cred new [Re: Hizzout]
#236225 - 10/13/10 04:26 PM

> when you duplicate software illegally you private deprive yourself from owning
> benefits people who buy have (support, online features, updates, etc.)
>
> You also "deprive" yourself of stupid DRM, and other hoops you have to jump through
> to get, and keep the software running.
>
> I'm not advocating piracy per se but it is funny how the music, movie, and software
> industry treats their paying customers like criminals anyway.

Allow me to offer the other idiotic argument 'Well, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't mind someone looking over your shoulder'

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: +Street Cred new [Re: igamabob]
#236251 - 10/13/10 09:12 PM

Quote:

'Well, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't mind someone looking over your shoulder'

To which I always reply, "how would you like having to give a password to buy groceries, or show papers when you buy a book? You're not doing anything wrong right?"

Imagine buying a bag of apples, but having the store tell you that only YOU can eat those apples, no one else. And you can only eat those apples in your kitchen and no where else.

Sounds pretty stupid if you ask me, but I guess it makes sense to the RIAA for assuming that if you put that CD in your computer, it's only because you're going to rip the music from it and distribute it.

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Re: +Street Cred new [Re: Hizzout]
#236341 - 10/14/10 06:44 PM

> 'Well, if you aren't doing anything wrong, you shouldn't mind someone looking over
> your shoulder'
>
> To which I always reply, "how would you like having to give a password to buy
> groceries, or show papers when you buy a book? You're not doing anything wrong
> right?"
>
> Imagine buying a bag of apples, but having the store tell you that only YOU can eat
> those apples, no one else. And you can only eat those apples in your kitchen and no
> where else.
>
> Sounds pretty stupid if you ask me, but I guess it makes sense to the RIAA for
> assuming that if you put that CD in your computer, it's only because you're going to
> rip the music from it and distribute it.

Exactly my feelings. I'm going to borrow that reply with your permission.

Hizzout
Send PM

Re: +Street Cred new [Re: igamabob]
#236349 - 10/14/10 07:16 PM

Quote:

I'm going to borrow that reply with your permission.

Well since you have no problem with "stealing" anyway, getting my permission is irrelevant

igamabob
Mixed Nut
Send PM

Well said -nt- new [Re: Hizzout]
#236357 - 10/14/10 08:10 PM

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

ahhh.. gotcha new [Re: BIOS-D]
#236427 - 10/15/10 10:43 AM

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: You're stealing it wrong: 30 years of Inter-Pirate Battles new [Re: Sune]
#236635 - 10/18/10 08:40 AM

Thanks Sune, that was great.

I met Jason in March, he's a man after my own heart. We talked "potential emulation scene documentary" for a bit.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2304