MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Reged: 10/04/08
Loc: Argentina
Send PM

why so many "Screen flipping in cocktail mode is not supported"?
#234069 - 09/21/10 01:48 AM

I was wondering about this, what makes this so hard to emulate that on perfectly working games many times this is not implemented?

Captain Pugwash
Ex-MameUIDev
Reged: 09/22/03
Loc: Black Pig
Send PM

Re: why so many "Screen flipping in cocktail mode is not supported"? new [Re: franciscohs]
#234106 - 09/21/10 06:34 AM

I guess this has at least two possible reasons.

- Some games do not support cocktail mode (and thus are flagged NO_COCKTAIL)
- Motivation is low to find these bits for a perfectly working game, when you're not even sure the game supports this.

Although I could be totally wrong on both of the above

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Send PM

Re: why so many "Screen flipping in cocktail mode is not supported"? new [Re: Captain Pugwash]
#234128 - 09/21/10 02:31 PM

> I guess this has at least two possible reasons.
>
> - Some games do not support cocktail mode (and thus are flagged NO_COCKTAIL)
> - Motivation is low to find these bits for a perfectly working game, when you're not
> even sure the game supports this.
>
> Although I could be totally wrong on both of the above

I don't think that games that games that don't support this mode in the first place are flagged as NO_COCKTAIL.

I guess the second option might be more accurate, but there must be something with cocktail mode that makes is specially hard or strange and thus not emulated in many cases, that's what I was curious about...

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: why so many "Screen flipping in cocktail mode is not supported"? new [Re: franciscohs]
#234132 - 09/21/10 03:07 PM

> I was wondering about this, what makes this so hard to emulate that on perfectly
> working games many times this is not implemented?

Because most games have asymmetrical visible regions, so emulating the flip isn't simply a matter of reversing the image. And things get weirder than that in Konami hardware. On those games, making the flip work is on a scale of "as hard as emulating the game in the first place". So all that combined with it being a feature probably 7 people actually use means it doesn't happen much.

franciscohs
M.A.M.E. fan
Send PM

Re: why so many "Screen flipping in cocktail mode is not supported"? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#234138 - 09/21/10 03:30 PM

> Because most games have asymmetrical visible regions, so emulating the flip isn't
> simply a matter of reversing the image. And things get weirder than that in Konami
> hardware. On those games, making the flip work is on a scale of "as hard as emulating
> the game in the first place". So all that combined with it being a feature probably 7
> people actually use means it doesn't happen much.

That's interesting, thanks...

stephh
Happy Bonze
Reged: 07/23/06
Send PM

#234169 - 09/21/10 08:12 PM

>> Some games do not support cocktail mode (and thus are flagged NO_COCKTAIL)

> I don't think that games that games that don't support this mode in the first place are flagged as NO_COCKTAIL.

You're right : when a game does NOT support cocktail mode while the hardware is supposed to do so (eg: some bootlegs on Galaxian hardware), there is a note in the driver, but no flag ...

> There must be something with cocktail mode that makes is specially hard or strange and thus not emulated in many cases, that's what I was curious about...

Beside RB's answer (screen flipping can be hard to emulate), another reason why games have this flag is because inputs are NOT mapped for player 2 ... Most of the time, the inputs are multiplexed on the same adress(es), and you need to add PORT_CUSTOM and some other tricky things to simulate what is done by the hardware ...

Steph from The Ultimate Patchers

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 240 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 5731