MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mame newbie
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/09/09
Send PM

loading problems
#180572 - 02/09/09 12:37 AM

Sorry to all for any dumb questions, I'm new to the mame game. I bought a mame machine from a guy 5 years ago. It worked fine for a year or so. We since moved a couple times and, now, it stopped working. I know enough about this stuff to get into the hardware end of things, but nothing more. So, here is the problem.

The PC mother board would not turn on. I took the hard drive out of the machine and hooked it into another mother board I had. It loaded up the Arcade OS 2.5 and display the list of Games to choose from. When I select one of them, the screen goes blank, the hard drive whirls, then it returns to the same list. It doesn't look like anything is "loading". I tried to put it back into the old mother board, and nothing happened. I think the mother board is fried. I am trying to get the games to fire while the hard drive is just hooked up to a bench computer and keyboard before I stick all of the stuff back in the cabinet. Why aren't the games "loading up"?

By the way, I have a Dos based Mame version. Not sure which one. There are also some mechanical problems but I can deal with those later.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

Mame newbie
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/09/09
Send PM

Re: loading problems new [Re: Mame newbie]
#180585 - 02/09/09 02:08 AM

To add to this, I found out I have Advancemame version 0.62.2. I'm not sure if this helps or will get me kicked out of the forum, lol. Also, when I select the game, a small menu comes up saying "running 'whatever game'" and then the screen goes black, the hard drive makes some noise, and then goes back to the list.

Thanks again.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: loading problems new [Re: Mame newbie]
#180596 - 02/09/09 02:38 AM

> Thanks in advance for all the help!

First off, paying money for MAME, or even a cabinet pre-loaded with MAME violates the MAME license. Buying game ROMs is illegal. I just have to put that out there. It's possible that this whole thread will be deleted for this reason. Also, your post doesn't belong in the programming forum. Theres a PC Hardware/Arcade Cab Tech Support for this sort of thing.

Since your problem isn't really a MAME problem, you may want to go go to the BYOAC forums... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com instead for help. They deal more with people running MAME in an arcade cabinet and the problems associated with it.

But anyway...since it's running in a cabinet, the front end and advancemame are likely set up to run on an arcade monitor, so I'm not surprised that it didn't work correctly when connected to your PC with a PC monitor.

I really don't think your problems are software related. You should check the machine inside your cabinet for obvious things like...

Lose memory or add-in cards
A dead motherboard battery
Bulging and/or leaking capacitors
Failed power supply
Grounding or shorting problems with the motherboard and case

I'm sure there's more but that's the top ones I can think of off the top of my head.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3394