MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

PoopDonkey
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/30/07
Send PM

Care to PacFudge ?
#146672 - 03/19/08 06:27 PM

Back in '98/99/00 - Snakeeyes from Serpentine Widgets sent me a copy of his source code for PacFudge - a Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man maze editor for Windows. He also gave me permission to use it in my (then) PacMAME frontend. I was recently going through some old projects and found the source. I've made a few changes, fixed a few bugs/annoyances, etc. The source is in VB6 w/one VBCORE.DLL.

I am currently compiling it in my XP VM - but have compiled it in the past on Vista w/o any problems.

I plan on going over to source one last time - then I'll zip it up and drop a link here.

It works w/all the basic Pac-Man sets and mazes 1, 2 and 4 for Ms. Pac-Man (I think the maze/dots for 3 are split across 5 and 6).

The saving/loading procedure it clunky at best - also, there wasn't a way to save your WIP. I've added a simple load/save WIP option. There wasn't any type of naming convention used, so it's a little time consuming to figure it all out - but basically it works.

Maybe some VB guru's can take a look at it, fix some quirks, add some features, etc. Maybe somehow add support for Sil's, Dave Widel's, etc. multi-maps ? There's probably alot that someone could add...

Enjoy it - I'll add the link in the day or so...

UPDATE
-added keyboard shortcuts for space/wall/dot/filled mode
-added right-click "undo" feature
-added "automode" toggle - much faster to draw dot paths, filled spaces, etc. no clicking required - just trace your mouse over the grid (CTRL to toggle)
-added text editing (ghost names, etc.)

Edited by PoopDonkey (03/21/08 04:51 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Care to PacFudge ? new [Re: PoopDonkey]
#146855 - 03/21/08 05:41 PM

> Back in '98/99/00 - Snakeeyes from Serpentine Widgets sent me a copy of his source
> code for PacFudge - a Pac-Man/Ms. Pac-Man maze editor for Windows. He also gave me
> permission to use it in my (then) PacMAME frontend. I was recently going through some
> old projects and found the source. I've made a few changes, fixed a few
> bugs/annoyances, etc. The source is in VB6 w/one VBCORE.DLL.

And that's going to be your problem. VB6 was end-of-lifed in 2001 and may not run on Windows past Vista. You'd be better off rewriting it in something modern like C#/WinForms before trying to add any features.

PoopDonkey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Care to PacFudge ? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#146887 - 03/22/08 12:57 AM

> And that's going to be your problem. VB6 was end-of-lifed in 2001 and may not run on
> Windows past Vista. You'd be better off rewriting it in something modern like
> C#/WinForms before trying to add any features.

I did think about this - at first I didn't want to rewrite it, but now I'm getting more and more into it and remember how much fun it is making mazes, etc. I started by at least converting it using the VS2008 conversion - not as much cleanup as I thought.

If I take a step back, a rewrite would be the way to go - just depends if there is a interest out there for it or not and whether or not I want to spend time on that or something else.

Thanks for your reply/input.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Care to PacFudge ? new [Re: PoopDonkey]
#146890 - 03/22/08 01:11 AM

> If I take a step back, a rewrite would be the way to go - just depends if there is a
> interest out there for it or not and whether or not I want to spend time on that or
> something else.

Well, if you could manage to integrate it with your MAME derivative such that you could play edited mazes without going to the hassle of outputting changed ROMs and so forth that would be really cool, IMO.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Care to PacFudge ? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#146921 - 03/22/08 07:42 AM

> Well, if you could manage to integrate it with your MAME derivative such that you
> could play edited mazes without going to the hassle of outputting changed ROMs and so
> forth that would be really cool, IMO.

Having it so you can edit the maze why the game is playing would be really interesting.

I think the name needs changing though, it's pretty disturbing that someone thought it would be cool to name it after a sex act.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pack+fudge

but then it's not the first time

http://www.overclocked.org/OCname.htm

Edited by smf (03/22/08 07:44 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Care to PacFudge ? new [Re: ]
#146933 - 03/22/08 12:19 PM

> > Well, if you could manage to integrate it with your MAME derivative such that you
> > could play edited mazes without going to the hassle of outputting changed ROMs and
> so
> > forth that would be really cool, IMO.
>
> Having it so you can edit the maze why the game is playing would be really
> interesting.
>
> I think the name needs changing though, it's pretty disturbing that someone thought
> it would be cool to name it after a sex act.
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pack+fudge
>
> but then it's not the first time
>
> http://www.overclocked.org/OCname.htm

You're talking to a guy who calls himself PoopDonkey. You think he'll care?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: Care to PacFudge ? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#146942 - 03/22/08 05:13 PM

> You're talking to a guy who calls himself PoopDonkey. You think he'll care?

Actually I was talking to RB :-) But yeah, quite.

PoopDonkey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Care to PacFudge ? new [Re: ]
#146957 - 03/22/08 09:55 PM Attachment: pacsplsh.gif 72 KB (1 downloads)

> I think the name needs changing though, it's pretty disturbing that someone thought
> it would be cool to name it after a sex act.
>
> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pack+fudge
>
> but then it's not the first time
>
> http://www.overclocked.org/OCname.htm

Here's a pic of the original splash screen - name, gfx, etc. didn't originally come from me. In my converted version it is simply named "Pac-Man Maze Editor" - nothing fancy.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3951