MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

twistyAdministrator
Space Lord
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

The Programmer Dress Code
#133612 - 12/07/07 12:23 AM

http://www.codethinked.com/post/2007/12/The-Programmer-Dress-Code.aspx

Unfortunately they excluded the most relevant pic ever, Aaron's blazing orange shirt

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: The Programmer Dress Code new [Re: twisty]
#133646 - 12/07/07 03:36 AM

> http://www.codethinked.com/post/2007/12/The-Programmer-Dress-Code.aspx
>
> Unfortunately they excluded the most relevant pic ever, Aaron's blazing orange shirt

Heh. I'm thinking game programmers fall into some other category.

Eugene Jarvis and Owen Rubin are two of the cleanest-cut guys you've ever seen.

Of course, the orange shirt guy falls into this same category

http://mrdo.mameworld.info/caex2004/index.html

I look at that pic and get a little sad. Since that pic was taken, I think I've gained the same weight that he's lost

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: The Programmer Dress Code new [Re: Mr. Do]
#133728 - 12/07/07 05:49 PM

> Heh. I'm thinking game programmers fall into some other category.

The caveman look was primarily a 70s/early 80s thing - most younger programmers in all fields look more like Linus Torvalds and less like Richard Stallman.

mahjongfan
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/08/07
Send PM

#133758 - 12/07/07 09:28 PM

> > http://www.codethinked.com/post/2007/12/The-Programmer-Dress-Code.aspx
> >
> > Unfortunately they excluded the most relevant pic ever, Aaron's blazing orange
> shirt
>
> Heh. I'm thinking game programmers fall into some other category.
>
> Eugene Jarvis and Owen Rubin are two of the cleanest-cut guys you've ever seen.
>
> Of course, the orange shirt guy falls into this same category
>
> http://mrdo.mameworld.info/caex2004/index.html
>
> I look at that pic and get a little sad. Since that pic was taken, I think I've
> gained the same weight that he's lost

What about the gals?

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#133935 - 12/09/07 11:49 AM

> I look at that pic and get a little sad. Since that pic was taken, I think I've
> gained the same weight that he's lost

I lost a fair bit of weight in the last 12 months, I didn't find it that hard but exercise does consume time and you have to give up the idea that you should be able to eat whatever you want, whenever you want. Just don't listen to your stomache, it wants you to be fat.

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: The Programmer Dress Code new [Re: ]
#133982 - 12/09/07 10:18 PM

> > I look at that pic and get a little sad. Since that pic was taken, I think I've
> > gained the same weight that he's lost
>
> I lost a fair bit of weight in the last 12 months, I didn't find it that hard but
> exercise does consume time and you have to give up the idea that you should be able
> to eat whatever you want, whenever you want. Just don't listen to your stomache, it
> wants you to be fat.

The eating is the easy part. My problem is that just around the same time as that last pic, I went frm a job where I was doing physical work for eight hours a day, constantly moving around, to a job where I sit at a desk all day long.

In that first 12-16 months, I went from 235 to 295. Since then, I've controlled my eating so that don't keep going up. But at the same time, I know that I'm not going to go back down until I start some type of excercise regimen again.

The hard part is making time for it; when I'm not at work, I've got four other people that demand time with me. Somehow, I've managerd to raise kids that don't want to spend all their time locked in their room or out of the house

But either way, I need to start making time. We have a gym at work. Either go to work an hour earlier, or stay an hour later is my best bet.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Jdurgi
Regular
Loc: NEW England, CT
Send PM

#134107 - 12/10/07 11:57 PM

> But either way, I need to start making time. We have a gym at work. Either go to work
> an hour earlier, or stay an hour later is my best bet.

That's what I do. When I was younger, I had an insane metabolism. I could eat anything I want and not put on a single pound. I didn't do anything with regards to exercise and would pig out every day yet stay trim and neat. Once college hit, that metabolism came to a screeching halt. I suddenly ballooned up to 210 pounds, and for a person who's only 5'10" tall it wasn't looking pretty. I had to wear size 38 waist jeans and baggy clothing in order to avoid having the fat show.

My senior year of college I got an apartment off-campus that was about a mile away. I was too "under the influence" to schedule my classes in one block, so I wound up walking about five miles every day. Combine that with being too poor to afford a ton of food and I dropped back down to about 155 pounds. I then got a job working in front of a computer all day, and slowly the weight went back up to about 185 pounds.

I finally interviewed for the job I have right now and had to buy a suit for the interview. After a few months, I noticed that my clothes were fitting tighter again and said "ENOUGH! I'm not putting up with this anymore!" I joined the gym we have at work and have been going every day for at least one hour since February 9th. I typically run for about half an hour, then lift weights for another half hour. I have since dropped down to 165 pounds and my size 34 waist pants fit very loosely. I'm in the best shape of my life, and the time at the gym helps me relax and get my mind off of the stresses at work. I'm no longer afraid to have a shirt off in public, and frankly, I'm starting to get a bit narcisstic now.

So join that gym at work and make it part of your every day routine. You'll thank yourself later when you do.

--------------------------------------------------
I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.

Paratech
MAME (NeoGeo) Fanboy
Reged: 09/30/03
Loc: Franklin, Pa
Send PM

#134123 - 12/11/07 02:11 AM

I had a great metabolism until my 3rd open heart surgery, it seriously drained me and the inactivity for a few months caused me to gain around 30 lbs, and it was like a downward spiral after that!

Oddly enough the last time I was sick, I dropped 20 pounds, now I'm about your weight, and I don't like it. I need to get off soda and I bet I'd drop 20-30 lbs just drinking more diet soda. I just can't stand most diet soda. I prefer mostly sugar laced soda except for Fresca and a few diet ginger ale brands, Diet Canada Dry, Diet Scwepps, but they're hard to find in the local grocery stores.

Good luck trying to lose weight, I can sympathize on how difficult it is!

> > > I look at that pic and get a little sad. Since that pic was taken, I think I've
> > > gained the same weight that he's lost
> >
> > I lost a fair bit of weight in the last 12 months, I didn't find it that hard but
> > exercise does consume time and you have to give up the idea that you should be able
> > to eat whatever you want, whenever you want. Just don't listen to your stomache, it
> > wants you to be fat.
>
> The eating is the easy part. My problem is that just around the same time as that
> last pic, I went frm a job where I was doing physical work for eight hours a day,
> constantly moving around, to a job where I sit at a desk all day long.
>
> In that first 12-16 months, I went from 235 to 295. Since then, I've controlled my
> eating so that don't keep going up. But at the same time, I know that I'm not going
> to go back down until I start some type of excercise regimen again.
>
> The hard part is making time for it; when I'm not at work, I've got four other people
> that demand time with me. Somehow, I've managerd to raise kids that don't want to
> spend all their time locked in their room or out of the house
>
> But either way, I need to start making time. We have a gym at work. Either go to work
> an hour earlier, or stay an hour later is my best bet.

-MAME, not just for preserving Pac Man, but for preserving all games, even the crappy and unfinished ones...
-MAME isn't a Democracy, end users can't vote...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: The Programmer Dress Code new [Re: Paratech]
#134195 - 12/11/07 08:58 PM

> I just can't stand most diet soda.

Plus you really don't want the cancer caused by those sweetners. Ok, so there is no evidence of that...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4970406.stm

Yeah, the rats must have already been sick.

Soft drinks are pretty bad for your teeth too. Unfortunately the only thing you should drink alot of is water. Get used to it :-)

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#134197 - 12/11/07 09:09 PM

> In that first 12-16 months, I went from 235 to 295. Since then, I've controlled my
> eating so that don't keep going up. But at the same time, I know that I'm not going
> to go back down until I start some type of excercise regimen again.

Apparently ( i.e. I heard about it somewhere or read it on the internet.... ) men can burn up fat just by reducing their food intake. Women on the other hand need to exercise. Probably genetic because men needed to retain their muscle where women needed to retain their fat reserves.

If aren't doing any exercise at all then you can probably go a tad below 2000 calories without it being too big a deal. For an average man to sustain your weight doing an average amount of exercise you're supposed to eat about 2500 calories. An hours jog burns 500 calories, make the choice... Don't eat it or burn it off.

Edited by smf (12/11/07 09:10 PM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#134233 - 12/12/07 01:34 AM

> Apparently ( i.e. I heard about it somewhere or read it on the internet.... ) men can
> burn up fat just by reducing their food intake. Women on the other hand need to
> exercise. Probably genetic because men needed to retain their muscle where women
> needed to retain their fat reserves.

I must be a woman in a man's body. I can't lose weight without exercise. I also swell up if I'm stressed, even if I eat next to nothing. But I've found that a 13km (8mi) powerwalk three times a week is helping me lose some flab.

Paratech
MAME (NeoGeo) Fanboy
Reged: 09/30/03
Loc: Franklin, Pa
Send PM

#134325 - 12/13/07 07:44 AM

You haven't seen the water in our apartment building, or the horrible hard water stains I have to clean up, mmmmm, brown residue, it's not apparent in the water coming from the tap, but stains don't lie!

Yummy stuff! It's difficult enough to drink coffee as is knowing the 'hardness' of the water, I can't imagine drinking it straight!

Yeah I need another Britta water filter!

> > I just can't stand most diet soda.
>
> Plus you really don't want the cancer caused by those sweetners. Ok, so there is no
> evidence of that...
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4970406.stm
>
> Yeah, the rats must have already been sick.
>
> Soft drinks are pretty bad for your teeth too. Unfortunately the only thing you
> should drink alot of is water. Get used to it :-)

-MAME, not just for preserving Pac Man, but for preserving all games, even the crappy and unfinished ones...
-MAME isn't a Democracy, end users can't vote...

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

Re: The Programmer Dress Code new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#134451 - 12/14/07 08:42 AM

I found that walking to buy groceries helps, although it's not practical if you've got a family.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 83 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4537