MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

tb2000
Arcade and retro fan
Reged: 08/20/07
Loc: Somewhere in the UK
Send PM

Few Dip switch questions
#133015 - 12/02/07 04:14 PM

After adding a romset to Mame successfully, I thought i'd have a go at editing a few dip switch settings in one of the drivers, as most of it seems quite simple according to the guide on Mamedev's Wiki.
I just have a couple of questions really:
1) The driver in question needs another bank of dipswitches adding. How do you work out which memory addresses or whatever they correspond to? As in the guide it just says it's a hex value, not where you find these hex values. Do you have to look at a disassembly of the rom code and find which addresses the dipswitches correspond to (wouldn't be totally sure of how to go about this) or is there a simpler way?
2) I'm currently editing some dipswitches that are already in the driver, adding "diplocations" for the on-screen diplay of the dipswitches. I have a problem with one for a Flip screen switch. The others display correctly, however the dipswitch is displayed as "on" (or in the "up" position) on the on screen display, even though it's off in the text description. How would I go about fixing this?

Thanks, Tony

Edited by tb2000 (12/02/07 04:56 PM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Few Dip switch questions new [Re: tb2000]
#133061 - 12/03/07 01:17 AM

1) The best way to work out the address at which it reads a bank of DIP switches is from the schematic. Look at the address decode logic and work out where the DIP switch is mapped.

2) It's very rare for DIPs within a single bank to have different polarity to each other. The text description refers to the state of the feature, not the position of the switch. Some some games, require a switch to be on to turn a feature off, and that's far more likely than one of the switches having the opposite polarity. Unless you actually know from the schematic that the polarity of one switch is reversed, don't mess with it. That said, the way to invert a DIP switch is to prefix the number with a "!", but this should usually only be done for an entire bank (e.g. see dkong.c and mario.c).

Make sure you're 100% certain of the DIP locations before submitting the code. Cleaning up incorrect information later can be a pain.

tb2000
Arcade and retro fan
Reged: 08/20/07
Loc: Somewhere in the UK
Send PM

Re: Few Dip switch questions new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#133318 - 12/05/07 02:30 AM

> 1) The best way to work out the address at which it reads a bank of DIP switches is
> from the schematic. Look at the address decode logic and work out where the DIP
> switch is mapped.
>
> 2) It's very rare for DIPs within a single bank to have different polarity to each
> other. The text description refers to the state of the feature, not the position of
> the switch. Some some games, require a switch to be on to turn a feature off, and
> that's far more likely than one of the switches having the opposite polarity. Unless
> you actually know from the schematic that the polarity of one switch is reversed,
> don't mess with it. That said, the way to invert a DIP switch is to prefix the number
> with a "!", but this should usually only be done for an entire bank (e.g. see dkong.c
> and mario.c).
>
> Make sure you're 100% certain of the DIP locations before submitting the code.
> Cleaning up incorrect information later can be a pain.

Thanks for the reply. I might have to leave that in that case then, I haven't got any schematics and I can't seem to find any on the net that have been scanned (or even any for sale!). I have my Robocop 2 board but it's probably more difficult trying to trace the tracks and where they go than looking at the schematics!
At least I can add some of the diplocations for the dipswitches listed in the driver anyway.

Thanks

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Few Dip switch questions new [Re: tb2000]
#133449 - 12/05/07 10:47 PM Attachment: Robocop2.htm 6 KB (9 downloads)

> > 1) The best way to work out the address at which it reads a bank of DIP switches is
> > from the schematic. Look at the address decode logic and work out where the DIP
> > switch is mapped.
> >
> > 2) It's very rare for DIPs within a single bank to have different polarity to each
> > other. The text description refers to the state of the feature, not the position of
> > the switch. Some some games, require a switch to be on to turn a feature off, and
> > that's far more likely than one of the switches having the opposite polarity.
> Unless
> > you actually know from the schematic that the polarity of one switch is reversed,
> > don't mess with it. That said, the way to invert a DIP switch is to prefix the
> number
> > with a "!", but this should usually only be done for an entire bank (e.g. see
> dkong.c
> > and mario.c).
> >
> > Make sure you're 100% certain of the DIP locations before submitting the code.
> > Cleaning up incorrect information later can be a pain.
>
> Thanks for the reply. I might have to leave that in that case then, I haven't got any
> schematics and I can't seem to find any on the net that have been scanned (or even
> any for sale!). I have my Robocop 2 board but it's probably more difficult trying to
> trace the tracks and where they go than looking at the schematics!
> At least I can add some of the diplocations for the dipswitches listed in the driver
> anyway.

For Vas's benefit, this is what tb2000 is talking about. It was acquired by Guru in a large collection, but I don't recall how. (about 1.5 yrs ago). It is clearly badly translated from Japanese. And tb2000 is right, there's no schematics, not so much as a manual scanned and online for Robocop 2.

- Stiletto

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Few Dip switch questions new [Re: Stiletto]
#133476 - 12/06/07 02:37 AM

> For Vas's benefit, this is what tb2000 is talking about. It was acquired by Guru in a
> large collection, but I don't recall how. (about 1.5 yrs ago). It is clearly badly
> translated from Japanese. And tb2000 is right, there's no schematics, not so much as
> a manual scanned and online for Robocop 2.
>
> - Stiletto

I hate these half-arsed translations. Why can't they just scan the Japanese manual and let someone who knows what they're doing translate it, dammit?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Few Dip switch questions new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#133510 - 12/06/07 08:26 AM

> > For Vas's benefit, this is what tb2000 is talking about. It was acquired by Guru in
> a
> > large collection, but I don't recall how. (about 1.5 yrs ago). It is clearly badly
> > translated from Japanese. And tb2000 is right, there's no schematics, not so much
> as
> > a manual scanned and online for Robocop 2.
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> I hate these half-arsed translations. Why can't they just scan the Japanese manual
> and let someone who knows what they're doing translate it, dammit?

the original might be around, I forget, I'll ask, I'll do something...

Still, there's no schematics to map it to, so it would either require some really good 68k/huC assembly skills (I don't believe that's stephh's forte IIRC), or reversing the actual PCB.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3810