View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

scotth1
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/13
Send PM

MAME Controls Sluggish
#306827 - 04/04/13 04:59 AM

When I run MAME, it is reporting back to me a speed of 99%+. However, the control responsiveness seems very sluggish. Is this just a matter of my computer not being powerful enough or is there a setting I can tweak that will improve the control responsiveness? I will admit that the computer I'm using quite old (Athlon XP 2400+, 3GB RAM, 64MB Arcade VGA AGP running win xp). I'm primarily trying to run 2d games from the late 80's and early 90's. There are a couple of games that have decent controls, but they are largely sluggish.

jumpmaniac81
Donkey Kong Maniac
Reged: 10/13/10
Loc: N.J.
Send PM

Re: MAME Controls Sluggish new [Re: scotth1]
#306832 - 04/04/13 06:44 AM

This happened to me once. I shut off triple buffering and it seemed to help the lag. You can also regress your mame version as well to something earlier.I personally have to run MAME 130 because my ram is real low on my old XP. Good Luck on finding a solution.

I’m convinced Mario is a hobo.
He wakes up everyday in the same clothes, runs around in sewers, and collects coins for a living.
At the end of the day, he uses the coins to buy mushrooms

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: MAME Controls Sluggish new [Re: scotth1]
#306837 - 04/04/13 09:15 AM

Check triple buffering and vsync-- ESPECIALLY if you have an nVidia card where prerendered frames will create massive amounts of additional latency.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

scotth1
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/08/13
Send PM

Re: MAME Controls Sluggish new [Re: jumpmaniac81]
#306891 - 04/05/13 04:04 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I tried fiddling with the recommended settings and dropped back to the mentioned version but to no avail. I read a few more threads and found one that said version 106 was best for older computers. I gave that a shot and it works much better. From what I read 107 had major architectural changes that dramatically increased the system requirements for decent playability.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1695