Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Freak out int he drive thru
#290201 - 06/25/12 05:34 PM

Yeah, I didn't mean to spin this chicks brain in the Taco Bell drive thru, but...

My tab came to 6.32

All I had was a twenty, a few ones... and I hate getting a fistful of change.

I looked at my dash, and I was like, "Cool, exactly seven pennies."

So I gave the girl 22.07.

She was like, "Sir, I said 6.32"

"Yeah, that's kewl, that's 22.07, that will make a ten, a five, and three quarters change."

Bzzt. Pop!

"Here" she tries to give me back my seven pennies.

"No, actually, keep those, so I'll get back three quarters not a quarter, a dime, a nickle and three pennies."

Zzzznap.

"Uh...."

"Just put it in your til, the register will tell you how much change to give me."

"Uh..."

"Nevermind, I'll take the seven pennies back, that's ok."

"Well, um."

She walks away from the window.

Why she wouldn't just put that amount into the register, and it would tell her how much change to give, I don't know.

Manager arrives on scene.

"Sir, the bill is just 6.32."

"Yeah, I'm sorry. It's not a big deal. I was just trying to avoid a whole pocket full of change, no problem."

"Could you pull ahead, we'll bring your meal out to you."

"Is there a problem?"

"Not yet."

Not yet? What the hell does that mean?

So I pull up. And sit. And wait.

Seriously? WTF. The cash register is a computer. It would have done the math for her, but now the manager thinks I'm pulling some kind of scam.

After about five minutes I got my meal... and my seven pennies... along with my original two singles and 13.68 more in various bills and loose change.

What ever, dude. I love those cheap tacos.

Gatinha just laughed at me, "You're such a nerd."

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Freak out int he drive thru new [Re: GatKong]
#290209 - 06/25/12 06:35 PM

Haha, I do change minimisation all the time, and my wife does, too. I find that cashiers are more receptive to it in some countries than others. Japanese cashiers would be most receptive in my experience, followed by Australian. Not all of them seemed to get the concept in US, and there's that damn sales tax added at the end to screw up the nice round numbers, too.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Freak out int he drive thru new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#290216 - 06/25/12 07:44 PM

> Haha, I do change minimisation all the time, and my wife does, too. I find that
> cashiers are more receptive to it in some countries than others. Japanese cashiers
> would be most receptive in my experience, followed by Australian. Not all of them
> seemed to get the concept in US, and there's that damn sales tax added at the end to
> screw up the nice round numbers, too.

No, cashier in the US is often what you do when you don't know how to put meat product inside bread product.

Bekki Doll
A cynical yet secular shiny retrogamer, thread ressurector and fan of the word "gay".
Reged: 01/28/12
Loc: Freeport, PA
Send PM

#290217 - 06/25/12 07:50 PM

Quote:

"Just put it in your til, the register will tell you how much change to give me."

No. Effing. Way.

That's the closest I'll get to personally using the F-word here. ;-)

Anyway, as someone who has filled out an application and got a restaurant job in the '90s, on the other side of the application was basic math as well as Q&A regarding what exact change would be given back to the customer. And that clerk couldn't even bother to enter in the exact cash given?

I've been saying this for DECADES: The sleepingwalking zombies that comprise the majority within the Unified Groups of AAmerica is getting lazier and dumber. And, what's worse, even relying too much on technology to the point that people can't do basic math! All these isolated incidents add up.

I'm a technophile so I enjoy technology and look for practical ways of applying those tools. But I'll be the last person within this once great nation to state that everything should be computerized.

The last time I checked fast food managment also means making sure that the orders are processed as efficiently as possible. The irony is that the clerk and manager wasted your time only because they couldn't handle receiving coins with the bills!

Do you happen to have the location, store number, phone number and corporate contact info? As reactionary as it may seem I suggest taking a few minutes and kvetching to the corporation. It may not amount to much but at least you'll feel better getting back at those idiots. You may even get a few yummies out of it.

The time is spent already. Time is money. Get something back from your expenditure! :-)

Or, if any insiders are creative enough with their technological derring-do, enterprising individuals could hack the cash register to tell the dunce operating it how much EXTRA cash to give back. Exploit others' ignorance, my loony friends. Profit!

--Bekki

Combating functional illiteracy with latex-clad drama since the '80s, because old video games rule!

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#290236 - 06/25/12 10:58 PM

> Gatinha just laughed at me, "You're such a nerd."

I used to work as a cashier at a local toy store some years back. People paid me with twenty dollar bills when their total was eleven bucks or so, so I always told them "if you have a dollar or two I can give you a ten dollar bill back."

*bzzt*

These were customers that were my age. Mid twenties - early thirties. AND THEY GOT CONFUSED BY MY MATH.

aavada
master of unlocking
Reged: 09/25/10
Send PM

PHYSICAL PENNIES MUST ALL F***ING DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! _nt_ new [Re: GatKong]
#290237 - 06/25/12 11:44 PM

More useless than tits on a nun.

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: PHYSICAL PENNIES MUST ALL F***ING DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! _nt_ new [Re: aavada]
#290239 - 06/25/12 11:55 PM

> PHYSICAL PENNIES MUST ALL F***ING DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like they did in Australia?

That turned out well.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Freak out int he drive thru new [Re: Bekki Doll]
#290250 - 06/26/12 01:55 AM

> Do you happen to have the location, store number, phone number and corporate contact
> info? As reactionary as it may seem I suggest taking a few minutes and kvetching to
> the corporation. It may not amount to much but at least you'll feel better getting
> back at those idiots. You may even get a few yummies out of it.

*NOTHING* will come of that. If he is lucky he will get a form letter thanking him for his 'interest'. They are usually thankful that people actually showed up for work at all. Most fast food is a crummy job. Want good service? Walk up to them and say "hi there how is your day going?" Or if it is near the end of the day "dont worry only a couple more hours and you are out of here" More often than not you will get better service. Why? Because you acknowledged they are more than some cog in a machine. Also say THANK YOU to them. After awhile they remember you...

Gor
Giver of truth.
Loc: The basement
Send PM

Re: Freak out int he drive thru new [Re: lharms]
#290255 - 06/26/12 03:39 AM

> After awhile they remember you...

that dude's cool, don't spit in *his* food.

Oh for Pete's sake.
loser.com

Breetai
Semi-Lurker "full time drinker"
Reged: 11/02/03
Loc: Omaha
Send PM

Thanks! new [Re: GatKong]
#290258 - 06/26/12 04:38 AM

> Yeah, I didn't mean to spin this chicks brain in the Taco Bell drive thru, but...
>
> My tab came to 6.32
>
> All I had was a twenty, a few ones... and I hate getting a fistful of change.
>
> I looked at my dash, and I was like, "Cool, exactly seven pennies."
>
> So I gave the girl 22.07.
>
> She was like, "Sir, I said 6.32"
>
> "Yeah, that's kewl, that's 22.07, that will make a ten, a five, and three quarters
> change."
>
> Bzzt. Pop!
>
> "Here" she tries to give me back my seven pennies.
>
> "No, actually, keep those, so I'll get back three quarters not a quarter, a dime, a
> nickle and three pennies."
>
> Zzzznap.
>
> "Uh...."
>
> "Just put it in your til, the register will tell you how much change to give me."
>
> "Uh..."
>
> "Nevermind, I'll take the seven pennies back, that's ok."
>
> "Well, um."
>
> She walks away from the window.
>
> Why she wouldn't just put that amount into the register, and it would tell her how
> much change to give, I don't know.
>
> Manager arrives on scene.
>
> "Sir, the bill is just 6.32."
>
> "Yeah, I'm sorry. It's not a big deal. I was just trying to avoid a whole pocket full
> of change, no problem."
>
> "Could you pull ahead, we'll bring your meal out to you."
>
> "Is there a problem?"
>
> "Not yet."
>
> Not yet? What the hell does that mean?
>
> So I pull up. And sit. And wait.
>
> Seriously? WTF. The cash register is a computer. It would have done the math for her,
> but now the manager thinks I'm pulling some kind of scam.
>
> After about five minutes I got my meal... and my seven pennies... along with my
> original two singles and 13.68 more in various bills and loose change.
>
> What ever, dude. I love those cheap tacos.
>
> Gatinha just laughed at me, "You're such a nerd."
The GF and her fam printed this out six times!

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Want me to puncha-size your face... for free? new [Re: Gor]
#290261 - 06/26/12 06:13 AM

But that whole change thing didn't make me mad, just gave me a story to tell... not like bekki doll who sounds like she would go postal in there...

"Gimme some fucked up change that's gonna jingle in my latex pocket all god damn day! *blam* You know what copper does to latex you prick *rat-tat-tat-tat* not to mention the chaffe! *chow* And the folded up money bulge... a bulge... in latex... why the hell do I even come in here! *ka-pow*

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 148 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1734