Pages: 1

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Michigan, USA
Send PM

Settings to pay sinistar with analog stick
#266872 - 10/20/11 04:38 PM

Does MAME allow control of sinistar with an analog stick in such a way that the ship will move faster, the farther the stick is move from center, like the original 49-way did?

I was recently playing around with sensitivity and speed settings under analog controls, but the speed of the ship relative to the position of the stick did not seem to change with the values I entered. Also, the joystick mapping feature only seems to affect direction of movement, not sensitivity.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

Re: Settings to pay sinistar with analog stick new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#266898 - 10/20/11 10:24 PM

> Does MAME allow control of sinistar with an analog stick in such a way that the ship
> will move faster, the farther the stick is move from center, like the original 49-way
> did?
>
> I was recently playing around with sensitivity and speed settings under analog
> controls, but the speed of the ship relative to the position of the stick did not
> seem to change with the values I entered. Also, the joystick mapping feature only
> seems to affect direction of movement, not sensitivity.

I am not the best person to answer this question because I don't have alot of experience with setting up MAME's input configuration from an end-user perspective, but ...

I know that it is certainly technically possible for MAME to process analog joystick input the way you desire; in fact I think that MAME is very much designed to properly support game input as true to the original system as possible.

I know that MAME can accept analog positioning information for analog joysticks and feed that data to the game in the way that maps to how the original controller provided input. So I would expect that Sinistar can be made to work with your analog joystick in MAME the way you want. However, it comes down to input configuration options, and someone with more experience here will need to help you out. I just wanted to make sure you know that yes, it is possible, before giving up hope.

What kind of analog joystick do you have? Have you used any software other than MAME to calibrate it and/or verify that it is supplying analog data? Some analog joysticks have programmable modes where they can behave just like digital joysticks (only sending 4 or 8 directions and only at the edges of their motion range) - is yours one such joystick and is it possible that it's configured in this way and needs joystick software to enable its analog mode?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#266899 - 10/20/11 10:37 PM

> Does MAME allow control of sinistar with an analog stick in such a way that the ship
> will move faster, the farther the stick is move from center, like the original 49-way
> did?
>
> I was recently playing around with sensitivity and speed settings under analog
> controls, but the speed of the ship relative to the position of the stick did not
> seem to change with the values I entered. Also, the joystick mapping feature only
> seems to affect direction of movement, not sensitivity.

MAME has a separate configuration menu for analog sensitivity and dead-zone and that sort of thing.

GatKong
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Have you tried something like PayPal? new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#266903 - 10/20/11 11:02 PM

>Settings to pay sinistar with analog stick

Doh... I know that was uncalled for... but it was low hanging fruit.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Have you tried something like PayPal? new [Re: GatKong]
#266916 - 10/21/11 01:10 AM

Re: Have you tried something like PayPal?
>
> Doh... I know that was uncalled for... but it was low hanging fruit.

Stop that cynical BS, you jaded fool! I'm not trying to start another ridiculous bitch-rant like the 720 one from exactly one year go. I asked a simple question: is there a way to set analog controls in MAME so that the effing ship in Sinistar goes faster if you push the analog stick away from the center?

Anyway, RB: I think I was in that very same menu. I'll go back and check I did not miss anything.

Brian:
I use the same controller (MS Sidewinder) for outrun, aburner2, etc., and it definitely behaves in an analog way. I doubt that is the problem.

StevieWunderful
Reged: 11/19/04
Loc: NY
Send PM

Re: Have you tried something like PayPal? new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#266920 - 10/21/11 02:22 AM

Ive not tried Sinistar in analog mode recently. I remember it working in earlier versions however.

1) Make sure to calibrate your analog controller in windows first before starting mame.

2) might want to delete any ini or nvram files for sinistar before running.

3) go into sinistars test menu. Theres press f2, then again when you see text.. to skip past the memory check. Then keep pressing f2 till you get the controller test screen.

Sinistar's 49way controller has 6 positions in every direction. 8 directions * 6 positions = 48 + Zero (Zero is perfectly centered, with no value) = 49.

An analog controller should be able to cycle and stop on any of them, if mame allows this hack.

(sinistar's original controller is made using optical switches)

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Have you tried something like PayPal? new [Re: StevieWunderful]
#266921 - 10/21/11 02:24 AM

> Ive not tried Sinistar in analog mode recently. I remember it working in earlier
> versions however.
>
> 1) Make sure to calibrate your analog controller in windows first before starting
> mame.
>
> 2) might want to delete any ini or nvram files for sinistar before running.
>
> 3) go into sinistars test menu. Theres press f2, then again when you see text.. to
> skip past the memory check. Then keep pressing f2 till you get the controller test
> screen.
>
> Sinistar's 49way controller has 6 positions in every direction. 8 directions * 6
> positions = 48 + Zero (Zero is perfectly centered, with no value) = 49.
>
> An analog controller should be able to cycle and stop on any of them, if mame allows
> this hack.
>
> (sinistar's original controller is made using optical switches)

Thanks for the tips.
I'll try that.

Bryan Ischo
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/28/10
Send PM

Re: Have you tried something like PayPal? new [Re: "The Manuel"]
#266928 - 10/21/11 03:30 AM

> Re: Have you tried something like PayPal?
> >
> > Doh... I know that was uncalled for... but it was low hanging fruit.
>
> Stop that cynical BS, you jaded fool! I'm not trying to start another ridiculous
> bitch-rant like the 720 one from exactly one year go. I asked a simple question: is
> there a way to set analog controls in MAME so that the effing ship in Sinistar goes
> faster if you push the analog stick away from the center?

I think you missed his joke; he was joking about how you wrote "pay sinistar" instead of "play sinistar", and he was suggesting that you "pay" sinistar using paypal.

I think you interpreted his comments as suggesting that you should pay someone to fix your analog joystick problem, which would of course be irritating if it were truly what was meant, but it was not.

His joke was pretty lame but the intentions were "good" ...

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

Re: Have you tried something like PayPal? new [Re: Bryan Ischo]
#266930 - 10/21/11 03:37 AM

> > Re: Have you tried something like PayPal?
> > >
> > > Doh... I know that was uncalled for... but it was low hanging fruit.
> >
> > Stop that cynical BS, you jaded fool! I'm not trying to start another ridiculous
> > bitch-rant like the 720 one from exactly one year go. I asked a simple question: is
> > there a way to set analog controls in MAME so that the effing ship in Sinistar goes
> > faster if you push the analog stick away from the center?
>
> I think you missed his joke; he was joking about how you wrote "pay sinistar" instead
> of "play sinistar", and he was suggesting that you "pay" sinistar using paypal.
>
> I think you interpreted his comments as suggesting that you should pay someone to fix
> your analog joystick problem, which would of course be irritating if it were truly
> what was meant, but it was not.
>
> His joke was pretty lame but the intentions were "good" ...

Oops! You're right on both counts, Brian.

Sorry, Gatinho.
I'm the only fool in this thread.

"The Manuel"
Old Fart
Send PM

#309137 - 05/22/13 05:02 PM

I’m still reeling from RB’s announcement so I will indulge in some thread necromancy to help me feel better.

As the post’s subject suggests, I would like to make sinistar more playable in my cab. I don’t have a 49-way joystick but I do have an analog stick that I thought could be used to simulate sinistar’s original control scheme where the farther you pushed into the joystick, the faster the ship would go.

Does MAME’s current control system allow for this sort of translation between an analog stick and the game’s inputs?
How do people with actual 49-way joysticks set up MAME for games with original 49-way control?

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 205 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4464