MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Has the Big N stopped paying their lawyers?
#239568 - 11/23/10 08:48 AM

http://www.supermariobrothers.org/smbx/

Not only is it apparently a full game using all of the Mario Bros. characters, but it also installs OpenCandy, which appears to be some kind of adware/spyware. There was a time when Nintendo would have turned this entire site into a smoking crater within seconds of it appearing on the web. What happened?

I'm not going to pollute my system with adware bullshit, but if anyone is brave enough to try it out, I'd be curious to hear what the game is like.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: Has the Big N stopped paying their lawyers? new [Re: DMala]
#239582 - 11/23/10 04:36 PM Attachment: Image2.gif 12 KB (1 downloads)

While installing it (see attached pic). Yeah. Doesn't seem fishy in the slightest.

The music... Not very good quality imo. But I guess it's okay for a fan game.

I played it with the keyboard, only got through a few stages, but I suck using the keyboard for scrolling platform games.

ETA: ...It's probably not worth the trouble. The controls feel a bit different from the SNES Mario games (like jumping higher), also the enemy collisions seem different somehow... I think it's that they keep moving - whereas in the official games they stop. It does have a level editor (haven't tried it yet), and I suppose if you're looking for different stage layouts - then it might be worth a go.

I wasn't able to set the controls... That's why I used the keyboard. You can choose the control pad with the keyboard, then after that you can only do things with the mouse... Then you can't do anything else... except close it.

I'll run a scan later to see if I'm infected with anything.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Edited by T0M (11/23/10 04:41 PM)

LEVEL-4

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

Well? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#239672 - 11/24/10 10:01 PM

Did your anti-malware find anything? Looks like all it wanted to install was Google Chrome. Can you remove Google Chrome from add/remove programs, and still have the game work fine?

I'm interested in adding this to my cab, but don't want any malware screwing things up.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Has the Big N stopped paying their lawyers? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#239715 - 11/25/10 11:36 AM

> While installing it (see attached pic). Yeah. Doesn't seem fishy in the slightest.
>
> The music... Not very good quality imo. But I guess it's okay for a fan game.
>
> I played it with the keyboard, only got through a few stages, but I suck using the
> keyboard for scrolling platform games.
>
> ETA: ...It's probably not worth the trouble. The controls feel a bit different from
> the SNES Mario games (like jumping higher), also the enemy collisions seem different
> somehow... I think it's that they keep moving - whereas in the official games they
> stop. It does have a level editor (haven't tried it yet), and I suppose if you're
> looking for different stage layouts - then it might be worth a go.
>
> I wasn't able to set the controls... That's why I used the keyboard. You can choose
> the control pad with the keyboard, then after that you can only do things with the
> mouse... Then you can't do anything else... except close it.
>
> I'll run a scan later to see if I'm infected with anything.

If people wanted different stage layouts for a 2D Mario game, wouldn't they simply hack Mario World or All-Stars, or even the NES versions? Heaps easier than making them from scratch, unless you were to completely reverse engineer the game mechanics so they perfectly matched the original games. I think just about everyone tried out the old DOS demo(?) called Mario!!! back in the 1990s, and quickly went back to the original as it was of fitfight.c quality compared to the original.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Well? new [Re: Hizzout]
#239738 - 11/26/10 12:18 AM

> Did your anti-malware find anything? Looks like all it wanted to install was Google
> Chrome. Can you remove Google Chrome from add/remove programs, and still have the
> game work fine?
>
> I'm interested in adding this to my cab, but don't want any malware screwing things
> up.

I ran a Malware bytes quick scan (should've just did a deep scan since I slept a few hours through it anyway) and it didn't turn up anything. Neither did a Spybot scan. I have MSE & Comodo... Didn't run scans with them (not yet anyway).

Oh, and it does tell you it's going to install that candy whatever -thing, along with the 'Mario X' game.

[obviously] The thing that looked weird was when it was telling me that it was going to install Google Chrome... yet the choices were blank. So I didn't know if I was picking Yes or No.

I picked the 2nd one and it didn't appear to install anything else.

LEVEL-4

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Well? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#239746 - 11/26/10 03:16 AM

> > Did your anti-malware find anything? Looks like all it wanted to install was Google
> > Chrome. Can you remove Google Chrome from add/remove programs, and still have the
> > game work fine?
> >
> > I'm interested in adding this to my cab, but don't want any malware screwing things
> > up.
>
> I ran a Malware bytes quick scan (should've just did a deep scan since I slept a few
> hours through it anyway) and it didn't turn up anything. Neither did a Spybot scan. I
> have MSE & Comodo... Didn't run scans with them (not yet anyway).
>
>
> Oh, and it does tell you it's going to install that candy whatever -thing, along with
> the 'Mario X' game.
>
> [obviously] The thing that looked weird was when it was telling me that it was going
> to install Google Chrome... yet the choices were blank. So I didn't know if I was
> picking Yes or No.
>
> I picked the 2nd one and it didn't appear to install anything else.

Here's the site for OpenCandy: http://www.opencandy.com/

It's not malware, strictly speaking, but I'm suspicious of advertisers that glom onto other installers and install who-knows-what. Google around for "OpenCandy" and you'll see more than a few people share my misgivings.

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Never accept candy from strangers. :-) [nt] new [Re: DMala]
#239753 - 11/26/10 04:09 AM

LEVEL-4

Hizzout
70's baby, early 80's child
Reged: 02/05/04
Send PM

My opinion new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#239881 - 11/28/10 05:07 AM

I just installed it, and was prompted to install the Bing toolbar and of course said no.

On the main menu you can configure your controls, and I installed the additional map packs on the main website.

I actually think it's a very well made fan game. The seamless split screen is nice, and works well on my cab with two players. The battle mode is really fun too.

The characters seem a little stiff control wise but once you get used to the controls it's not that bad.

I don't know why you thought the music was bad...sounded pretty clear to me.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10 for the hour I played with it. Fun for a while but by no means matches the original. There are some nice fresh ideas with it though that breathe a little more life into the Mario world.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 421 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2124