View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Retro27
Play The Past
Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: leeds (UK)
Send PM

Mewui
#292970 - 08/01/12 12:34 AM Attachment: untitled.png 375 KB (0 downloads)

Has anyone seen this?

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mewui/

Great new front end to mame, Would this be added to the official build?

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Retro
Play the Past.

www.freewebs.com/retro27/

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: Retro27]
#292971 - 08/01/12 12:38 AM

Yes. It was mentioned in the 0.146u3 thread.
It's really just a few tweaks upon the internal UI for MAME but nothing that I saw that made it an illicit build. He'd have a decent chance on getting some of that stuff applied in the main source tree.

etabeta
Reged: 08/25/04
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: Tafoid]
#292973 - 08/01/12 12:51 AM

> He'd have a decent chance on getting some of that
> stuff applied in the main source tree.

I disagree. the internal UI is not meant to replace a frontend.

it's just there to allow configuration of input and options and to offer a few random games to start if you don't know how mame works and you double click on the exe.

better to get a frontend if you want to do something more

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: etabeta]
#292988 - 08/01/12 03:44 AM

I would not mind a configuration choice in mame.ini which setting to 1 obviously enables it while 0 gives the users an option to keep it as it always has been.

I dislike the name Mewui though *yuck*

Anonymous
Unregistered
Send PM

#293021 - 08/01/12 12:48 PM

> it's just there to allow configuration of input and options and to offer a few random
> games to start if you don't know how mame works and you double click on the exe.

I haven't tried this, but the built in menu will allow you to run any game if you type it. The only difference appears to be we limit the default list to random entries. Which has never seemed very useful to be honest.

Retro27
Play The Past
Reged: 06/28/05
Loc: leeds (UK)
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: B2K24]
#293022 - 08/01/12 12:59 PM

Yeah hate the name but a great tweak to the UI.
I find it a lot easier to use when searching for games.

Hope it could be used. As the random list is not much use.

Retro
Play the Past.

www.freewebs.com/retro27/

etabeta
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: ]
#293023 - 08/01/12 01:38 PM

> > it's just there to allow configuration of input and options and to offer a few
> random
> > games to start if you don't know how mame works and you double click on the exe.
>
> I haven't tried this, but the built in menu will allow you to run any game if you
> type it. The only difference appears to be we limit the default list to random
> entries. Which has never seemed very useful to be honest.

If I understood correctly, this build removes the random selection (which basically only works when you have typed <= 2 chars, given that after that there are not so many possible choices) and the limit to the number of displayed titles, so that you can scroll the whole list to choose

imho, it is not that useful, given that it can only list the name of the game (the UI is not suited to display snaps, which would be maybe more helpful) and you often end up in the middle of a series of fruit machines which you have to scroll before reaching some game you might be interested in... but if some users like it, they are free to use it

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#293025 - 08/01/12 02:02 PM

> Has anyone seen this?
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mewui/
>
> Great new front end to mame, Would this be added to the official build?

I wonder if it works with fully-merged sets? The current one doesn't.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#293051 - 08/01/12 07:01 PM

> Hope it could be used. As the random list is not much use.

It's INTENDED to not be much use. If you don't use the command line or a set of per-game batch files with custom icons, there are plenty of fine front ends like GameEx, EmuLoader, and QMC2.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

IV-Play is good enough for me. new [Re: Retro27]
#293067 - 08/01/12 11:30 PM

I don't think I want something that is build on MAME.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

HowardC
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/15/04
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: R. Belmont]
#293076 - 08/02/12 01:51 AM

> > Hope it could be used. As the random list is not much use.
>
> It's INTENDED to not be much use. If you don't use the command line or a set of
> per-game batch files with custom icons, there are plenty of fine front ends like
> GameEx, EmuLoader, and QMC2.

Well then I've gotta ask. If it intentionally is supposed to be useless why the heck is it in there? I always questioned it's addition and assumed with would be "fixed" into something similar to this new ui in subsequent builds.

I don't think that mame needs it's own internal gui, but if it already has it's own internal gui, which it essentially does, you might as well make it functional.

etabeta
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: HowardC]
#293098 - 08/02/12 08:04 AM

> Well then I've gotta ask. If it intentionally is supposed to be useless why the heck
> is it in there?

quoting my previous post

Quote:

it's just there to allow configuration of input and options and to offer a few random games to start if you don't know how mame works and you double click on the exe.

it got added to give a clue to user windows users complaining that MAME was broken because nothing was happening when they double click on the exe

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#293103 - 08/02/12 08:35 AM

Surely you can see the issue with it working the way it does though, regardless of the ludicrous origin of a dev-user "fucker can't read our docs" annoyance factor making someone snark together enough code one night to qualify as a bad temporary joke that nobody even gets anymore aside from a handful of salty oldtimers. I mean, you really want that in the source indefinitely? People are going to defend it?

etabeta
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: Smitdogg]
#293109 - 08/02/12 10:07 AM

> Surely you can see the issue with it working the way it does though

I actually don't see such an issue.
if I double click and I don't know what game I want to play, I'm happy that the emu suggests me some random game I have the files for
if I double click and I know what game I want to play, I just start typing the name and the game is usually displayed, if the files are present

where the issue is exactly?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#293121 - 08/02/12 05:48 PM

The issue is refusal to ever improve it. Or maybe you think it's perfect now.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: Smitdogg]
#293129 - 08/02/12 06:31 PM

> The issue is refusal to ever improve it. Or maybe you think it's perfect now.

It is. It's intended to show the app isn't dead when people mistakenly double-click the exe. It does that quite well.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Mewui new [Re: R. Belmont]
#293130 - 08/02/12 06:47 PM

Sounds perfect to me. You should never improve it under any circumstances, otherwise you can't stand your ground, dawg! In fact I'm all for a popup message after you exit a game that really puts the dumb bastard in his place if he used the double-click method. Something like "See dumbass? We told you it worked. Now go use commandline next time like we told ye. YE GOT FINGERS SO TYPE WITH EM WTF NOOB." Actually scratch that, I don't think I have enough snark for such a message. Ask Mr. Holtz to take a break from pulling his hair out and screaming at people and type one up, it'll be supershit then. Or just copy/paste some code from Mewui and improve mame with no effort.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 242 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2834