Pages: 1

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Blu-ray burning and PDF software? new
#320265 - 01/12/14 02:30 PM

I'm getting a blu-ray recorder tomorrow. Well actually a whole new system, the first 100% new one I got since 1993... Ok all brand new except the keyboard (costed me like $10 but it's amazingly great). I'm also upgrading from XP to Windows 7. I don't see any compelling reason to jump up to 8 or 8.1.

So I've been looking into upgrading my burning software, and looking at alternatives I see ImgBurn and CDBurnerXP being capable of burning BR-R. What are your experiences using these programs? I also see that there's no open source software capable of burning blu-rays under Windows, is that correct? Damn.

And since I'm at it, I'm also changing other software. I have almost everything covered by now, except a good PDF viewer. I used to recommend Foxit but lately it takes increasingly long to load. Maybe it's becoming bloatware, or maybe it's just that I've not reinstalled XP in years. Anyway it's always good looking at lightweight alternatives. I looked and Evince and Sumatra PDF seem to do the trick, but if you're willing to share your experience or recommendations, that'd be great.

Thanks in advance for any comments. I'll send a letter to Satan Claws to tell you've been good boys so next xmas your gifts will be better

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Blu-ray burning and PDF software? new [Re: Pi]
#320266 - 01/12/14 03:42 PM

It's painful to admit, but there still isn't a better PDF viewer than the Preview application on OSX. I've tried them all on Windows, and none perform as well or render PDFs as attractively.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Blu-ray burning and PDF software? [Re: Pi]
#320278 - 01/12/14 05:40 PM

I don't have BluRay, but would think ImgBurn is quite capable like it is for DVDs and CDs. Be careful, some of the last versions have extra software (toolbars of whatever) that you have to uncheck during install. You don't even have to use the installer, you can use something like 7-Zip to extract the program from the installer if you want.

I know some like Windows 8(.1), but I hate it. I love Windows 7.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Blu-ray burning and PDF software? new [Re: Pi]
#320279 - 01/12/14 05:57 PM

I use Nero Burning ROM. Yea, it's not free, but I like the suite. Comes in handy when I feel like downloading fansubs and want to make DVDs out of them.

IMGBURN saw a lot of use on my system but that was for Wii backups and not much else.

Just so you know, burning Blu-ray discs is way overrated. I've had a burner for years and have only ever used it for BD-R once or twice. It's painfully slow! A full disc can take 30 minutes or more, and don't get me started on the 50GB discs... Most TV's and such have USB ports now so it's much more convenient to use an external HDD if streaming isn't an option.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Blu-ray burning and PDF software? new [Re: URherenow]
#320282 - 01/12/14 06:07 PM

> I use Nero Burning ROM. Yea, it's not free, but I like the suite. Comes in handy when
> I feel like downloading fansubs and want to make DVDs out of them.
>
> IMGBURN saw a lot of use on my system but that was for Wii backups and not much else.
>
> Just so you know, burning Blu-ray discs is way overrated. I've had a burner for years
> and have only ever used it for BD-R once or twice. It's painfully slow! A full disc
> can take 30 minutes or more, and don't get me started on the 50GB discs... Most TV's
> and such have USB ports now so it's much more convenient to use an external HDD if
> streaming isn't an option.

I burned some AVCHD DVD's for use in playing in some set-top BluRay players recently and was quite pleased with the results and the player compatibility

- Stiletto

redk9258
Regular
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: Blu-ray burning and PDF software? new [Re: URherenow]
#320290 - 01/12/14 07:43 PM

Nero is so bloated now.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Blu-ray burning and PDF software? new [Re: redk9258]
#320295 - 01/12/14 09:43 PM

> Nero is so bloated now.

Ype. I am still using Nero 6 because I couldn't stand 7 or 8 when I tried them. I don't know how it is in the current version, but bloatware is a path that usually is not de-walked.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 329 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1004