To be able to play the original Space War in the PDP‑1 system:
- Unzip this file to a convenient folder on your computer.
- Start pdp1 in MAME
- At default MAME key settings:
- [SCROLL LOCK] to enable the MAME UI
- [TAB] to bring up the MAME Config menu
- Navigate to File Manager
- Select punchtape1 (ptap1)
- Navigate to the folder where you saved spacewar.rim, and load that file
- You will see all of the green lights for the switches start flashing, while the tape loads.
- After a few moments, you will see the graphics for Space War on the monitor (assuming you are using the In‑Game Artwork from this site).
- Check the Input (this machine) menu to see the available inputs to control the game.
- Check the README file included with the RIM file for additional tips